5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 6:37 AM by digitlman

To maximize performance, can I use tweak 'DISABLE PAGING EXECUTIVE'?

tfi productions 44 Level 1

hello,

doing the final setup of my new desktop station

with cs5 production premium and win 7professional

i7-930, 24gb ddr3 mushkin ram, 12 hdd (all 10k raptors)

(at this point i prefer not to RAID)

basically everything has its own disk: os, final render, effects, media cache, previews, scratch disks, etc.

2 questions:

1)  with 24gb of ram should i still have a paging file?

(currently, i have 1 hdd setup as PAGEFILE)

2) would using the tweak 'disable paging executive' help out performance?

again, i more trust adobe users than googling for answers...

thank you,

j

• 1. Re: To maximize performance, can I use tweak 'DISABLE PAGING EXECUTIVE'?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

1.  Yes.  ALWAYS have a paging file.  It may not be needed much with 24 GB of RAM, but your system can crash hard without it if it actually is ever needed.

2.  I'd not worry about it.  With that much memory, you're not likely to see much of a difference.  And Win 7 64 handles memory a LOT better than XP did.  So best to let it do it's job unhindered by the user.

• 2. Re: To maximize performance, can I use tweak 'DISABLE PAGING EXECUTIVE'?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

In addition to Jim's remark, you can't disable the paging file altogether, because if Win7 does not find a valid page file somewhere on your system, it will create a dynamic, system managed page file on your boot disk. You will be better off with a static page file around 8 - 12 GB on a different disk than your C drive.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: To maximize performance, can I use tweak 'DISABLE PAGING EXECUTIVE'?
              tfi productions 44 Level 1

hello,

thanks to Jim and Harm for answering

corrections have been made

happy friday

j

• 4. Re: To maximize performance, can I use tweak 'DISABLE PAGING EXECUTIVE'?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

One additional benefit to a static Page File (especially if located on a non-system HDD), is that it is created at boot-up and will be in the same space on the HDD, each time, and is not likely to ever become fragmented.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: To maximize performance, can I use tweak 'DISABLE PAGING EXECUTIVE'?
                  digitlman Level 1

I might as well throw in my 2 cents worth while i'm here too..

i agree with the previous post about a static pagefile, you NEVER want a system managed pagefile as it will forever fragment your drive. If you are going to run a pagefile the very first thing you should do the first time windows boots up is change it to a static size.

as for the original question. "disable paging executive"  is a "tweak" in regards to HOW certain types of data are written to the pagefile. The question was not wether or not to use a pagefile at all. That tweak involved running a pagefile but essentially having less important stuff actually use the pagefile.

there are tons of web pages you can search to find info on how it worked.

everyone has different opinions about pagefile usage these days. M$ warns you that if you turn it off and you crash it cant write a memory dump to troubleshoot. well if you dont plan os dissecting that memory dump to determine why you crashed then that doesnt really matter now does it?

With a lot of memory i have disabled the pagefile on every machine i have ever used with every OS since NT. (it's been awhile but i think NT required a 2MB pagefile minimum)

My personal opinion is virtual memory is the worst invention ever for power computer users, it does nothing but rag your hardrive and slow things down.

you only need it if you are trying to use more memory than you have, and windows 7 will warn you if you start to run out of memory.

i will say that back in the old days when i was running windows 2000 with dual xeons, no pagefile, scsi cheetah raids,  premiere 6.5 and that was the fastest most responsive computer system i have ever used, i miss it dearly.

back with xp you could have 500GB of ram, pagefile,  and 20 apps open, go to the bathroom, and while u are gone it would write all that data to your pagefile. you come back and start clicking on apps and it would take forever to pull them up, that used to drive me nuts.

unfortunately adobe totally @#&*$^@#$ me over when they came out with PS7 and REQUIRED a pagefile to launch the app. i was soooooo pissed.

anyways, try turning off your pagefile, see how your system runs, it's simple enough to turn it back off. and dont worry about that old page exec xp tweak.

good luck

1 person found this helpful