24 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2011 12:53 PM by RevDrChris

No 10.0.1 msi?

ned4spd8874 Level 1

Was going to deploy this today, but I can't find an .msi for it.  Is there one hiding anywhere out there?

• 1. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
          lnayal Adobe Employee

For Acrobat and Reader updates only msp files are available and no msi files.

You can deploy msp files if you have already installed Reader or Acrobat X using command line

msiexec /p "Full path to msp files" /qb

For more details you can read this link:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83708/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_ReleaseNote_10.0.1.pdf

• 2. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
            Rich Chaney

Best I can offer is that there is a command line switch on the .exe that relates to msi commands. Try "AdbeRdr1001_en_US.exe /?" to see what's possible.

I'm not too hot on msi switches, so trying "AdbeRdr1001_en_US.exe /msi" or even "/msi /a "AdbeRdr1001_en_US.msi" did not get me much further than the standard msi parameters window.  If you knew where the .exe was temporarily dumping its install files then that might help...

• 3. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
              GarethT42

There's no MSP file for 10.0.1 that I can find (ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.0.1/en_US/)

Also, for deployment through Group Policy, it's infinately easier to just get an MSI and add it to the existing policy, rather than roll-your-own-update as we have to do with the MSPs. Each. Time. It. Updates.

• 4. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                ShakespeareVet

You can extract the files in the executable using WinRAR (or an equivalent)--effectively creating an AIP, then create a Network Installation Point from there.  For some reason NOS extraction is not an option with Reader X, producing Error 12010 ("This product is already installed").

• 5. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                  Rich Chaney Level 1

Thanks for the tips; I extracted all contents from the .exe using 7-zip, then ran a "msiexec /a AcroRead.msi" on the contents ... it seemed happy to produce a newtork install.

• 6. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                    ned4spd8874 Level 1

I can't find an .msp file either.  If you do a Google search, there is a 10.0.1.msi file in the results, but when you check the link, it's not there anymore.  Kinda hard to deploy an update if we don't have the proper files Adobe.

I was able to find this page, but it's not clear what file(s) to use:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/10.x/10.0.1/misc/

• 7. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                      pwillener Level 8

ned4spd8874 wrote:

I was able to find this page, but it's not clear what file(s) to use:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/10.x/10.0.1/misc/

See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/789648

• 8. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                        glwhit

I've seen it elsewhere, probably even on these forums somewhere, but from this site:

http://www.adminarsenal.com/admin-arsenal-blog/?Tag=adobe%20reader

AdbeRdr1001_en_US.exe -nos_o"<file_path>" -nos_n

This extracts the files:

ABCPY.INI

AcroRead.msi

AdbeRdrUpd1001_Tier1.msp

Data1.cab

setup.exe

setup.ini

• 9. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                          K12ITGuy

My employer has Altiris 6.5.

The deployment options do not support .msp files.

I worked on trying to do something with the Administrative Install Point to no effect.

An MSI file I could use.

The rest of this crap is worse than no solution because it wastes hours of my day without any result.

Apparently Adobe can crank out the Flash and Shockwave MSIs for every update, but when they've released yet another version of Acrobat Reader that compromises the security of a network they refuse to provide something that IT people can simply drop into their existing deployment workflow???

Google has over 86,000 results for "Adobe Reader" "10.0.1" msi.

Why won't you give people what they're asking you for?

• 10. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                            glwhit Level 1

AdbeRdr1001_en_US.exe -nos_o"<file_path>" -nos_n

worked for me just fine, just grab the msi and cab files and there's your msi install

matter of minutes and a success

• 11. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                              K12ITGuy Level 1

No.

What you have is an "administrative install point" that contains:

An MSI for "Adobe Reader 10.0.0"

An MSP updater for "Adobe Reader 10.0.1"

A CAB file.

A couple of ini files.

I'm pretty sure that I mentioned that my employer's management software doesn't support MSP files???

On the other hand, I don't think that I mentioned that there's one of me, around 1000 Windows machines, 200 or so MacOS X machines, around 100 Projectors, 50 Printers, etc.

There are people who could follow the directions on how to push this out via Active Directory (I don't have access), but they either don't know how, or they won't.  The end result is the same.  I have 1000 machines which are running software which has a known severe security hole, which is apparently also having issues printing files which older version of the software would with no workable way of updating currently...

Seriously lame...

• 12. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                                ned4spd8874 Level 1

Tried extracting the exe file, but when it still only installs 10 and not 10.01.  The msp for 10.01 is there, but it doesn't get installed.  Adobe update fail...again.

• 13. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                                  bluewanderer

Has anyone gotten a group policy installation working for 10.0.1? 10.0.0 seems to work fine, but 10.0.1 gives me error after error.

• 14. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                                    vdobhal Adobe Employee

Can you pls. put a snapshot of the error?

The general procedure is that you create and AIP of 10.0 and then patch that AIP with 10.0.1 msp.

Following are the steps:

1. msiexec /a <path of Rdr10.0 msi> TARGETDIR <path where you want to create AIP> /qn

2. cd to the AIP folder

3. msiexec /a <AdbeRdr.msi> /p <path of .msp file> /qn

This should create an AIP for 10.0.1 and this can be used for push through GPO.

• 15. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                                      vdobhal Adobe Employee

10.0.1 MSPs can be found a level up from the above location under 'misc'

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.0.1/misc/

Regarding deployment through Group Policy, you can do so by creating and AIP using 10.0 and then patching it with 10.0.1 msp

Following are the steps:

1. msiexec /a <path of Rdr10.0 msi> TARGETDIR <path where you want to create AIP> /qn

2. cd to the AIP folder

3. msiexec /a <AdbeRdr.msi> /p <path of .msp file> /qn

Thanks,

Vinod

• 16. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                                        ned4spd8874 Level 1

That doesn't work for me.  Something must be off with your syntax's or something.  It doesn't do anything for me.

• 17. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                                          vdobhal Adobe Employee

You would not have noticed anything because of the the /qn switch which is used for silent install.

Can you pls. check whether the Admin Install point is created at the desired location provided by you in the first step. If not you can freshly create a new AIP by ommitting the /qn switch.

Following are the steps:

1. msiexec /a <path of Rdr10.0 msi> TARGETDIR <path where you want to create AIP>

2. cd to the AIP folder

3. msiexec /a <AdbeRdr.msi> /p <path of .msp file>

Thanks,

Vinod

• 18. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                                            ned4spd8874 Level 1

Maybe you can help show me what I'm doing wrong?  The command I'm using is:

msiexec /a AcroRead.msi /p AdbeRdrUpd1001_Tier1.msp

edit: Figured out my mistake, but it's still not right.  It just extracts the files.  No new/patched msi to deploy.

• 19. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                                              vdobhal Adobe Employee

Did you try the first two steps listed in my previous post?

• 20. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                                                bluewanderer Level 1

Ned, that is correct, asuming acroread.msi is at the admin instalation point created from a 10.0.0 installer. That command does not just extract the files, it extracts  them and patches them. If you install from the msi at the admin  installation point it should install the patched version, even though  the file name is the same as the old version.

Vinod, thanks for answering, but an answer of "yes, it works" was what I was looking for . It looks like I am just having trouble with one of my servers. A new install point on a different share solved my problem.

• 21. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                                                  ned4spd8874 Level 1

Vinod Dobhal -

I tried starting from the beginning using your instructions and it doesn't work. I use this command:

msiexec /a c:\Temp\AdbeRdr1000_en_US.msi c:\Temp\AdobeX /qn

And get this:

XError.JPG

Bluewonderer -

When I attempted to patch the msi file using the command I previously posted, I get this file structure:

msiexec /a AcroRead.msi /p AdbeRdrUpd1001_Tier1.msp

XFiles.JPG

• 22. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                                                    vdobhal Adobe Employee

Hi Ned,

You are missing the TARGETDIR parameter in the command line, that's why it is throwing up the msiexec help. Please see the exact steps listed below. Here I have used the Reader exe (AdbeRdr1000_en_US.exe) and extracting the setup files (AcroRead.msi) from it to create an AIP.

This should work, as I have tried this myself.

cmd_window.PNG

EXE.PNG

After creating the AIP and patching it, you will have the following where you will get the same msi, but with the upgraded version. AIP.PNG

You can now use this AIP for deployment of Reader 10.0.1 through a GPO policy.

• 23. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                                                      WiseITMan

This is quite annoying.  I was hoping to make a one-click installer for Reader (one that didn't contain the blasted desktop icon).  Now that I'll have to run the update seperately, it will make the stupid icon again anyway, not to mention having another step to installing it.

• 24. Re: No 10.0.1 msi?
                                                        RevDrChris

Thanks for the detailed responce.  However, it looks like we're going to have to hold off on Reader X right now.  I rolled out X (10, not 10.0.1) the other day and almost everyone is having problems.  The stupid protected mode is messing thigs up and it's crashing on almost all the PC's here.  Unless 10.0.1 fixes this issue, we are going to have to roll back to 9.4.2.

p.s. this is ned4spd8874.  I have two accounts for some reason and I don't know which is connected to what email.  I thought I signed in with the ned4spd8874 one, but apparently not.  Ugh...