14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2011 3:09 AM by balizumba

Can't import any audio file types into my project files in AECS5

balizumba Level 1

I'm trying to add sound effects to a titles animation for the first time. When I tried to import a .wav file i got this error:

after effects error. Can't import file (filename.wav)  unsupported filetype or extension

So I converted the file to .mp3. Still didn't work. I converted the file to .aiff, wma and none worked.

Whats the problem? Better to just animate in AE and input sound effects in Premiere?

please help!

Z

• 1. Re: Can't import any audio file types into my project files in AECS5
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

These are supported file types for import. Tell us more about your computer system and exactly how you're attempting to import these files. Can you import other files?

What version of After Effects? (10.0.1?)

• 2. Re: Can't import any audio file types into my project files in AECS5
            balizumba Level 1

I'm running Adobe CS5 on an ASUS i-5. 4gb ram. 500gb internal memory. 1gb

dedicated geForce Nvidia 310M graphics card.

THe program works fine but I can't import any audio files to finish my

animated title sequence.

I read the link you sent me and I've already tried many filetypes

(avi,aiff,mva,mp3) I get the same error message for all. none can be

imported into my project window.

help! what can i do?

thanks

Z

• 3. Re: Can't import any audio file types into my project files in AECS5
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You are using an audio device that is not configured properly and thus AE thinks it cannot play sound. Check the relevant prevs and your system audio configuration.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Can't import any audio file types into my project files in AECS5
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

balizumba wrote:

I'm running Adobe CS5 on an ASUS i-5. 4gb ram. 500gb internal memory. 1gb

dedicated geForce Nvidia 310M graphics card.

However, you did NOT answer Todd's very crucial question:

Are you running AE 10 without having done the free update to AE 10.0.1, which corrects a wealth of AE weirdness?  Hmmmmmm? 

That's the first thing to tend to if you haven't done it yet.

You have other issues going on as well.

Issue #1 is that you only have 4GB RAM, and for AE 10, that's absolutely NOTHING.  You need to get more memory, you need to get it right away, and you have to turn off multiprocessing and leave it off until you get more memory.  Think about bringing your machine up to 12 GB minimum to use multiprocessing.  You should tend to that next.

Issue #2 -- you have your media files on the same drive as your OS and applications.  This is very bad indeed.  You need to get an additional hard drive for your project files and media files.  A 1 TB internal hard drive costs what.... about $100 US?  That's the third thing to do.

Once you do all that, you ought to stand a fighting chance at getting your audio work done in AE.  And you should use either AIFF or WAV files.  Do NOT use any kind of compressed audio.  AE has NEVER worked well with compressed audio.

Can't afford to do all that hardware upgrading?  Got a video editing application?  Import your AE animation -- VIDEO ONLY, no audio -- and any audio files you need, including sound effects.  Do the work in the video editor.  Not only will it be faster, but easier.

• 5. Re: Can't import any audio file types into my project files in AECS5
                  balizumba Level 1

thanks for your reply

I plan on upgrading to 8gb, which is the max i can handle on my laptop so i'm told.

Why is it better to have the project files on an external drive? wouldn't it take long to work with these files? Is using proxies a good way to free up memory during editing?

Can you post the link where i can dl the  update AE 10.0.1

thanks

Z

• 6. Re: Can't import any audio file types into my project files in AECS5
                    balizumba Level 1

the audio files i'm trying to import are simple sound effects from my hard drive. no fancy audio devices. this should be no problem

any more ideas?

• 7. Re: Can't import any audio file types into my project files in AECS5
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Why is it better to have the project files on an external drive?

It's best to have your OS and applications running from one drive, your source media read from another, and your export files written to another. That way, the hard disk drive doesn't have to jump all over the place to read and write from various different places all at essentially the same time.

There are many performance improvement tips here, including an answer to your question about proxies.

> Can you post the link where i can dl the  update AE 10.0.1

Just choose Help > Updates. You should do this quite often. Here is a page with details of recent updates.

Regarding your original question: Is it only audio files that you can't import? What kinds of video files have you successfully imported?

• 8. Re: Can't import any audio file types into my project files in AECS5
                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

balizumba wrote:

the audio files i'm trying to import are simple sound effects from my hard drive. no fancy audio devices. this should be no problem

any more ideas?

If you follow Mylenium's advice on audio devices AND you follow Todd's advice about updating AE AND you turn off multiprocessing you should be okay.  Until you do all three, you really have no grounds for complaint.  Get busy.

• 9. Re: Can't import any audio file types into my project files in AECS5
                          balizumba Level 1

Thanks you guys for the help in such a prompt fashion. I'm impressed

I clicked on help and updated all the new premiere and AE. Everything works fine. I can now import the audio files to AE...AND i don't get that "media core won't initialize" error msg as AE boots up.

I'm just a beginner in this industry, teaching myself everything. One more question. Do the pros bother to add audio effects to titles in AE or just drop the video into Premiere and complete the animation there?

thanks again

• 10. Re: Can't import any audio file types into my project files in AECS5
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I'm just a beginner in this industry, teaching myself everything.

Start here to learn After Effects.

> Do the pros bother to add audio effects to titles in AE or just drop the video into Premiere and complete the animation there?

People use audio in After Effects to time animations and such, but any but the simplest modification of that audio happens outside of After Effects. After Effects is a visual tool, not an audio tool. Premeire Pro has good audio features; Audition and Soundbooth, even better.

• 11. Re: Can't import any audio file types into my project files in AECS5
                              Dave LaRonde Level 6

balizumba wrote:

Do the pros bother to add audio effects to titles in AE or just drop the video into Premiere and complete the animation there?

I, for one, use audio in AE as reference only.  This includes lip-synced audio.  If I feel it's necessary, I'll occasionally import the sound effects in a second audio file which has been timed out in my video editor.

Then I simply render AE compositions as video-only; if anything needs a minor tweak, it's far easier to do it in the editor.  I haven't rendered out a video/audio file in years.

• 12. Re: Can't import any audio file types into my project files in AECS5
                                balizumba Level 1

So if i'm making titles with song and sfx, I create the title animation in

AE then export it to Premiere, then drop the audio and sfx in Premiere

timeline? If the latter is correct, how do make adjustments to the animation

based on the music cues if it's already been exported to Premiere? Do I do

this all based on the timing (timecode)of the music cues which I should have

noted before as i created the animation in AE?

Also I cannot import any audio into AE CS5 (win7-64bit)! tried all audio

file types. This happened to me before with AE but i resolved the problem by

updating. I had to system restore my computer earlier and now I'm back to

the old problem (already did updates and still doesn't work, maybe because I

get "media unable to initialize media core message"? )

any ideas?

Z

• 13. Re: Can't import any audio file types into my project files in AECS5
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You never really answered my question about file types you can successfully import. Please answer that. Specifically, can you import and use files that contain both video and audio? Is it just audio-only files that are causing problems?

> maybe because I

get "media unable to initialize media core message"? )

The text that you have in quotation marks there isn't the exact text of an error message. Please give the exact text of the error message.

• 14. Re: Can't import any audio file types into my project files in AECS5
                                    balizumba Level 1

I found the latest AE 10.0.1 update, installed it. It read that everything installed correctly. Then upon loading up AE, I still get the following messages one after the other:

"After Effects Warning: Failed to initialize mediacore"
                                    "After Effects Warning: MediaCore is not correctly initialized"
                                    "You have at least one output module that refers to a missing ouput plug-in. Please check your Output Module Templates"

The bizarre thing is that before, I had to do a system restore because of my Nvidia Card (which is still not working), I had this same problem but I fixed it when I installed AE updates directly from within the program. Then I was able to import all media files. but now i cannot import any audio or video files!!

Any ideas? Re-install AE?

thanks

Z