6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2011 8:06 PM by Russell G

Getting video in Source Window

Russell G

Just upgraded from CS3 to CS5 and having some real frustrations.  I can open a clip - either through media browser or by double-clicking in the source window, but if I attempt to play that clip, the programme crashes.  However, if I select anything other than composite video - for example vectorscope or whatever, the clip will play.  I just can't see it.  Any clues?

• 1. Re: Getting video in Source Window
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Yes, OE.

Either your system is not up to the task, or your source material is wrong, or the sequence setting is wrong, or your system is polluted with non-standard codecs, or your drivers are not up to date, or... or... and the list goes on and on.

All can be summarized by OE.

You can help us help you by providing details, lots of them. Look here: Some suggestions... and answer at least the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article.

• 2. Re: Getting video in Source Window
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As Harm says, we need more information.

Have you installed the recent updates? What operating system? What kind(s) of source footage? What other software are you running? Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed? Tell us about your computer hardware.

• 3. Re: Getting video in Source Window
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

This is basically a "what they said" post, but the info will be so important to pinpoint your particular issue. Also, have a look at this ARTICLE to see what we need, and how to gather some of it. The more that you can provide, the easier it will be for someone to focus on where the issues probably are.

If you run into problems, when you gather your info, do not hesitate to ask, "how do I do that?"

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Getting video in Source Window
                Russell G Level 1

Hi All

Hi, hope that the following is enough to start with.

The equipment I am using is a Dell Precision T5400 desktop.

It is loaded with Windows 7 with all current updates.

Also loaded with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Production Premium with all updates.

No other relevant other software other than Office, Nero 9, Quicktime (also completely up to date)

Processor is an Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU E5420 @ 2.5Ghz and 2.49 Ghz (2 processors) with installed memory of 12 Gb.  System is 64 bit.

Display adaptors are two ATI Fire GL V7700 cards with ATI drivers dated 6/12/2010, version 8.773.1.0

Hard disc one is my programme disc and is 150Gb, projects are on a 3.5Tb drive - Raid 5.

All of my existing projects have been previously worked on in CS3 without any hassles, so I've simply opened up these existing projects in CS5.

As far as I can see, my source files and project files are compatible, but any direct assistance on making sure that this is OK would be appreciated.  Most of our shooting has been done using Firestore drives in the field using QT and these have, with CS3, imported seamlessly and well into any project.  Nowadays shooting more and more HD, but again with CS3 this seemed to cause no hassles.

On the surface of things, I don't believe my system is lacking - my suspicion because one of my colleages also changed to CS5 and has experienced no difficulties at all, is that there is something going on with project/file settings.  I don't believe that opening, or attempting to open a simple jpg file in the source window should cause the programme to crash.

Sorry for the delays in responding, but we have just had the weekend in NZ....

• 5. Re: Getting video in Source Window
                  shooternz Level 6

Any chance you could try a single grafix card (nvidia)  instead of the dual ATIs.

Hope you enjoyed you quick visit to NZ

• 6. Re: Getting video in Source Window
                    Russell G Level 1

Hi there - no, I live in NZ, just explained that I hadn't been

answering previous responses to my original posting.  Work at the

University of Otago...