12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 2:50 PM by jojejo

How can I get the old CS3 pixel aspects into CS5

jojejo Level 2

Hello,

i'm trying to get the old cs3 pixel aspect ratio into cs5. I don't need the hyper-correct- BBC 1.4587 for DV widescreen which leads to black bars left and right if I import HD footage into a SD widescreen timeline. Or if I export a HD timeline to Encore and downconvert to a SD PAL DVD - black bars...

I have asked the adobe support, and they told me to change the Interpretation Rules.txt. But they have no further knowledge about these entries.

For AfterEffect I found this solution: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3016005#3016005

But I need it also for Premiere and Encore. Photoshop will be fine, but this is no must.

What I Have tried so far:

- changing the interpretation rules.txt from ... 768/702... to ..768/720  -> doesn't change anything

- I copiued the whole interpretation rules.txt from Premiere CS3  -> doesn't change anything

- I deleted the interpretatio rules.txt and reboot premiere -> doesn't change anything and premiere don't ask for the missing file.

now I think that the interpretation rules.txt is not the right place to change the Pixel aspect ratio.

can anybody help me? Is there a patch, which change all these settings in the whole cs5 production bundle...

thanks a lot

Johannes

btw: sorry for my bad englisch

• 1. Re: How can I get the old CS3 pixel aspects into CS5
          dradeke Adobe Employee

I would work with the interpretation rules.txt file only with a certain amount of caution.  The file is located in the Premiere Pro plugins folder/en_US(or your country folder)/Interpretation rules.txt

Good luck,

Dennis

• 2. Re: How can I get the old CS3 pixel aspects into CS5
            Jon-M-Spear Level 4

I  cannot understand why CS5 is not interpretting your footage.  What camera is it from - or is it a CS3 export?

Have you created a new sequence that matches the PAR of the footage you are working with, or are you dropping it into an exising sequence that is a mis-match?

Drag the footage icon in the Project WIndow onto the New Item icon.  PP will attempt to create a sequence that matches the footage parameters.

Once the footage is in the sequence, right click and select Scale to Frame Size.

• 3. Re: How can I get the old CS3 pixel aspects into CS5
              jojejo Level 2

Hi Dennis,

I know where the file is located, and of course I have a backup of the original file. But have you any advice what I should change in this file?

The original entry for pal:

# PAL D1/DV
              720, 576, *, *, * = 768/702, *, *, *

I think this means: if there is a video source with the dimensions of 720x576, interpret the PAR as 768/702 = 1.094

And I want that it will be interpreted as 768/720 which is the old PAR 1.066

And this is the entry from CS3

# PAL D1/DV
              720, 576, *, *, * = 768/720, *, *, *

and there is everything fine...

greetings

Johannes

• 4. Re: How can I get the old CS3 pixel aspects into CS5
                jojejo Level 2

Hi J-MS

of course is PP interpreting my footage very well in terms of the cs5 PAR. but I want the PAR of CS3 becouse of the black bars left and right.

One example step by step:

- I render an AE Comp in 1920x1080

- import that into premiere and create a HD timeline which fits perfectly to the footage

- send this to Encore and create a PAL DVD

---> now you will find these ugly bars left and right

the same if you put the 1920x1080 (that is truly 16/9) in a dv Pal widescreen timeline in premiere ( since CS4 with the PAR of 1.4587). right-click on scale to frame size. and again the black bars!

For me, the old PAR 1.422 and 1.06 worked really fine and there for I try to get them back. and I know that I'm not the only one..

• 5. Re: How can I get the old CS3 pixel aspects into CS5
                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Once you changed the .txt file, you don't say that you actually interpreted any footage or set anything up with them.  Did you?

• 6. Re: How can I get the old CS3 pixel aspects into CS5
                    jojejo Level 2

Yes I did. I created an new sequence but there are still only the cs5 PAR. Also I tried to change the PAR of the footage via right-click (sorry i don't know the english menue parameters) and there are still the cs5 ones

• 7. Re: How can I get the old CS3 pixel aspects into CS5
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

The ugly bars will not show up on the majority of TVs due to overscan.  Some few high quality HDTVs will show the full raster, but for those, you really should be feeding it a Blu-ray anyway, not a DVD.

As for the BBC interpretation being "hyper-correct", that may have been true for analog systems, but I feel it's patently absurd for digital video where the entire raster can and should be used.

• 8. Re: How can I get the old CS3 pixel aspects into CS5
                        jojejo Level 2

Hello again,

has nobody an idea how to change these settings?

@ Jim Simon:

You are right, but not all people watch a dvd on a TV screen. Many just use their PC monitor. And I still can't understand why adobe reinvent such useless things that we are used to in times of BetaCam SP. In an age of digital video I thought that such problems belong to the past.

• 9. Re: How can I get the old CS3 pixel aspects into CS5
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Many just use their PC monitor.

Oh, that's no good either.  It's like using an iPod and earbuds to listen to Mozart.  Bleck!  Use a real stereo system instead, that's what I say.

For those who don't want to do things the proper way, well, they may just have to live with issues that aren't there when you actually do it the right way.

Besides, even computers can have Blu-ray drives to eliminate the issue.

But I do agree that using this outmoded PAR is quite useless in an age of digital video.  I'd not argue with wanting to fix that.

• 10. Re: How can I get the old CS3 pixel aspects into CS5
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            But I do agree that using this outmoded PAR is quite useless in an age of digital video.  I'd not argue with wanting to fix that.

I think that this situation will correct itself over time, and as the install-base of full HD TV's replaces CRT TV's.

Even in my "behind the times" household, I have exactly 4 CRT's, and none is part of any entertainment system - all TV's are now HD flat-screens, and one HD projection TV. One day, Action-Safe Areas, Title-Safe Areas and PAR will be but historical footnotes, like 8-track cassettes.

Hunt

• 11. Re: How can I get the old CS3 pixel aspects into CS5
                              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A way to get rid of those black sides is to crop on export.

crop on export.png

• 12. Re: How can I get the old CS3 pixel aspects into CS5
                                jojejo Level 2

Thanks for all your replies!

Ann, your solution is not what I'm searching for. My aim is to tweak the program code, so that I have access to the old CS3 PAR permanently. Of course there are some work arounds. But wouldn't it be fine to do this just once, not for ech project or each single clip. I just want to optimise my workflow.

Johannes