7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2011 2:57 AM by Matthew Ralston

Asterisk PBX incompatibility

Matthew Ralston

WAV files created by Audition for Mac can't be played by Asterisk (Linux PBX software).

When Asterisk attempts to play (or convert to GSM) a WAV file created by Audition for Mac, it throws the following error on the console:

format_wav.c:107 check_header: Does not say fmt

WAV files created in Audition for PC work fine, but file created on the Mac then re-saved on the PC still have the problem.

Incidentally, it would be great if Audition was able to create Asterisk-compatible GSM files too.

Adobe Audition for Mac version 4.0 build 10 (beta 1) (standard install, no additional plugins)

Mac OS X 10.6.6

MacBook Pro, 2.8 GHz Intel Core2Duo, 4GB RAM

Asterisk 1.6.2.13

CentOS Linux 5.5 x86_64

HP ProLiant DL380 G3, Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz, 4GB RAM

• 1. Re: Asterisk PBX incompatibility
          marknelli

What's the sox syntax you used?.. I have tried this one: sox foo-in.wav -r 8000 -c 1 -s -w foo-out.wav

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Convert+WAV+audio+files+for+use+in+Asterisk

• 2. Re: Asterisk PBX incompatibility
            Matthew Ralston Level 1

Hi,

I'm not using Sox at the moment and I'm trying not to muddy the waters (I'm really just reporting a bug in the beta version of Audition for Mac).

I am taking the file that Audition for Mac creates and giving it straight to Asterisk, with no further processing in between.

When using Audition for PC, Asterisk can play the WAV files it creates (without the sox intermediary) so I'd like to see Audition for Mac do the same.

The sox syntax you've specified does make a file readable by Asterisk (using the file Audition for Mac creates as the input file), however it adds a very nasty audio glitch at the end of the file. (This isn't unique to the sox syntax you've specified, it always seems to happen).

Thanks,

- Matt

• 3. Re: Asterisk PBX incompatibility
              Charles VW Adobe Employee

Matthew Ralston wrote:

WAV files created by Audition for Mac can't be played by Asterisk (Linux PBX software).

When Asterisk attempts to play (or convert to GSM) a WAV file created by Audition for Mac, it throws the following error on the console:

format_wav.c:107 check_header: Does not say fmt

WAV files created in Audition for PC work fine, but file created on the Mac then re-saved on the PC still have the problem.

If you don't mind, can you please try two things:

1. Uncheck the "Include markers and other metadata" in the Save As dialog.   If you're going to a PBX system, I'd be surprised if they handled any of the metadata
              2. In the Format Settings dialog for WAV (press the second [ Change... ] button), change the 4GB Plus Support popup to "Multiple Data Chunks (Legacy Audition Format)."

Let me know if changing either of these two options makes a difference for you.

Incidentally, it would be great if Audition was able to create Asterisk-compatible GSM files too.

Is this the GSM/ETSI 6.10 codec?   Please email a small example file to audbugs@adobe.com such that I can discuss this with you directly.   Please mention my username in there somewhere such that I might find it through the spam.   Once in this format, are you able to open these files in Audition through the various importers?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Asterisk PBX incompatibility
                Matthew Ralston Level 1
                1. Uncheck the "Include markers and other metadata" in the Save As dialog.   If you're going to a PBX system, I'd be surprised if they handled any of the metadata
                2. In the Format Settings dialog for WAV (press the second [ Change... ] button), change the 4GB Plus Support popup to "Multiple Data Chunks (Legacy Audition Format)."

Yes. That did the trick. I had tried unticking the markers and other meta data previously. I guess the legacy format was the way to go.

I've e-mailed you a file called "hello.gsm". The subject line is "FAO: Charles VW". Audition is able to read this type of file.

Thanks.

- Matt

• 5. Re: Asterisk PBX incompatibility
                  Charles VW Adobe Employee

Yes. That did the trick. I had tried unticking the markers and other meta data previously. I guess the legacy format was the way to go.

Okay, then I think this has been fixed since the public beta and should work properly when the release comes out.

Thx.

• 6. Re: Asterisk PBX incompatibility
                    Matthew Ralston Level 1

Aye.

I appreciate it won't be the default value, but it would be nice if Audition remembered my preference for "Multiple Data Chunks (Legacy Format)" in "4GB Plus Support" in between sessions for future saves (seems I have to select it each time at the moment).

Cheers.

• 7. Re: Asterisk PBX incompatibility
                      Matthew Ralston Level 1

This is incidentally the only real roadblock (ignoring price) that would have prevented me from buying Audition for Mac when it comes out. So it's nice to know that there is a work around, and I'll be so happy to finally ditch my incredibly slow virtualised Windows (Audition for Windows is now the only reason I use it).