4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2011 2:49 AM by Matthew Ralston

Useability feedback

Matthew Ralston

"Return CTI to start position on stop" should be turned on by default. This feature is invaluable when trying to crop sound bytes cleanly and it's apparent omission annoyed me no end until I spotted how to turn it back on in Preferences.

In many of the dialog windows, pressing Enter on the keyboard does not immediately click the "OK" button (or Escape the "Cancel" button) - it seems that the active text box responds to the event the first time the key is pressed, but pressing the key a second time has the desired effect. I use the keyboard a lot for navigation and find this very annoying.

Why does the main window have a toolbar style title bar? It saves only a tiny bit of space and looks ridiculous (and I'm sure it breaks the UI guidelines).

I work exclusively in the Waveform Editor and find the keyboard shortcut to create a new audio file awkward. I am constantly forgetting to hold down the shift key and get prompted to create a new Multitrack Session (also annoying is that I have to press Escape twice to get rid of it (once for Session Name to lose focus, once more to close the dialog). I personally think it would be much more user friendly if the CMD-N keyboard shortcut was context aware (so if you're in the Waveform Editor you get a new waveform, if you're in the Multitrack Editor you get a new Multitrack Session).

Please make the clickable area to the left and right of the waveform display (which takes the CTI to the start or end of the waveform) larger. I use it a lot and it's a pretty small target to click. I realise there are keyboard shortcuts for this, but when selecting from one point in the waveform to the start or end the keyboard shortcuts don't work because they clear the selection (and holding down shift as you would when selecting text triggers a completely different keyboard shortcut).

When Audition for Mac comes out of beta, please don't make it too expensive. I work in a very small company and if the pricing model follows that of Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Audition for PC, etc. I simply won't be able to get approval to buy it. Remember - we don't all work for multinational PLCs. If you keep it under the £100 / $160 mark then you'll get a lot more customers (myself included!).

Adobe Audition for Mac version 4.0 build 10 (beta 1) (standard install, no additional plugins)

Mac OS X 10.6.6

MacBook Pro, 2.8 GHz Intel Core2Duo, 4GB RAM

• 1. Re: Useability feedback
          Charles VW Adobe Employee

Matthew Ralston wrote:

"Return CTI to start position on stop" should be turned on by default. This feature is invaluable when trying to crop sound bytes cleanly and it's apparent omission annoyed me no end until I spotted how to turn it back on in Preferences.

We've gone back and forth on this one quite a bit.   The preference of this behavior is highly dependent on the type of user.   We've found that most people who are used to working with DAWs prefer it to be on by default.   However, we've also found that most people who are used to working with NLEs prefer it to be off by default.   Currently the NLE people are winnning...

We've tossed around the idea of having a first-launch welcome screen in which you can pick what type of user you might be, and the preferences and layout and so forth would be preset for what might be most comfortable for that type of user.   This didn't make it into the beta.

You can also toggle it by the [ Shift ] + [ X ] keyboard shortcut.

In many of the dialog windows, pressing Enter on the keyboard does not immediately click the "OK" button (or Escape the "Cancel" button) - it seems that the active text box responds to the event the first time the key is pressed, but pressing the key a second time has the desired effect. I use the keyboard a lot for navigation and find this very annoying.

This is similar to the issue above.  A large portion of our users like it one way, and a large portion of our users like it the other way.   Where this comes from is that when entering values in a text-edit field or using the text-edit mode of what we call HotText (the underlined amber numbers), sometimes people wanted pressing enter to mean that they've committed that value and they no longer want to be in the text-edit mode.   So right now, the first enter commits the value and you can still do stuff in the dialog, and the second one does the default action for the dialog (typcially the [ OK ] button).  We should probably have a preference for this behavior as well.

Why does the main window have a toolbar style title bar? It saves only a tiny bit of space and looks ridiculous (and I'm sure it breaks the UI guidelines).

The toolbar isn't part of the title bar.  It is a dockable panel like our other panels, but it has some special behaviors.   You can grab the dotted gripper on the left side of the toolbar and undock it.  You can also hide it via the Window > Tools command.

I work exclusively in the Waveform Editor and find the keyboard shortcut to create a new audio file awkward. I am constantly forgetting to hold down the shift key and get prompted to create a new Multitrack Session (also annoying is that I have to press Escape twice to get rid of it (once for Session Name to lose focus, once more to close the dialog). I personally think it would be much more user friendly if the CMD-N keyboard shortcut was context aware (so if you're in the Waveform Editor you get a new waveform, if you're in the Multitrack Editor you get a new Multitrack Session).

You may easily change this in the Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts dialog.   Look under the File section.

Please make the clickable area to the left and right of the waveform display (which takes the CTI to the start or end of the waveform) larger. I use it a lot and it's a pretty small target to click. I realise there are keyboard shortcuts for this, but when selecting from one point in the waveform to the start or end the keyboard shortcuts don't work because they clear the selection (and holding down shift as you would when selecting text triggers a completely different keyboard shortcut).

I understand your want to have the clickable area on either side of the waveform larger, but I guess I don't understand the problem you're encountering with the keyboard shortcuts.   Could you describe this further (e.g. I have a 10 second file, I want to select from 5s to 10s, I click in the waveform at 5s and then press [.......] and [......] happens)?

When Audition for Mac comes out of beta, please don't make it too expensive. I work in a very small company and if the pricing model follows that of Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Audition for PC, etc. I simply won't be able to get approval to buy it. Remember - we don't all work for multinational PLCs. If you keep it under the £100 / $160 mark then you'll get a lot more customers (myself included!).

Noted.  Typically we offer discounts if you're upgrading from a previous version of Audition.  Are you new to Audition with this beta, or have you used it before? Unfortunately, I can't really comment on the pricing on this forum.

• 2. Re: Useability feedback
            Matthew Ralston Level 1

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the very comprehensive feedback.

The first-launch welcome screen idea sounds like a good one. Alternatively, perhaps Audition could have a "Workspace" concept like Photoshop (I presume it's still has, I'm on CS3). One thing to note (and this is probably because I have no formal training in the area), I had no idea what DAW and NLE were (I've just looked them up in Wikipedia!), so it would be good if whatever method you decide to implement gave a brief description of what each option did.

I take your points regarding designing a lot of the behaviour to be in keeping with what the majority of your users are accustomed to. Can I suggest that where ever the more popular behaviour differs from the established behaviour of the operating system (the Enter key being a good example) that this be a preference which can be toggled? Whilst one behaviour may be very familiar to professionals, it may also alienate new users. Perhaps the first-run welcome screen (or workspaces feature) might be a good place.

The toolbar isn't part of the title bar.  It is a dockable panel like our other panels, but it has some special behaviors.   You can grab the dotted gripper on the left side of the toolbar and undock it.  You can also hide it via the Window > Tools command.

I think we're talking at cross purposes here. I'm referring to the main window's title bar (with the close, minimise and whatever the green button is called) buttons and the caption "Adobe Audition". This title bar is styled like it is on a floating tool palette (i.e. it's very thin) rather than the application's main window. Doesn't seem right to me.

I understand your want to have the clickable area on either side of the waveform larger, but I guess I don't understand the problem you're encountering with the keyboard shortcuts.   Could you describe this further (e.g. I have a 10 second file, I want to select from 5s to 10s, I click in the waveform at 5s and then press [.......] and [......] happens)?

I think you can ignore this one. With the CTI in middle of a waveform, I was trying to select from that position to the beginning (or end) of the waveform using Command+Shift+Left Arrow (in keeping with the keyboard shortcuts in a text editor). It appears that the correct shortcut is actually Shift+Home (or Shift+Function+Left Arrow on a laptop). I realise that this can be customised, but for me Command+Shift+Left Arrow would be more consistent with other software.

Fair enough on the price. I realise it won't be your call personally. :-) But if Adobe could try to keep it affordable for mere mortals that would be nice.

• 3. Re: Useability feedback
              Charles VW Adobe Employee

Matthew Ralston wrote:

The first-launch welcome screen idea sounds like a good one. Alternatively, perhaps Audition could have a "Workspace" concept like Photoshop (I presume it's still has, I'm on CS3).

We do have a similar concept, although it won't change the preferences we spoke about above.  You can rearrange any of the Panels in Audition (open, close, move, resize, dock, undock, etc) and save them as a Workspace.   There's a Workspace popup in the Toolbar:

Screen shot 2011-02-18 at 4.12.14 PM.png

And you can also select, save, and delete specific workspaces in the Window menu:

Screen shot 2011-02-18 at 4.13.31 PM.png

I think we're talking at cross purposes here. I'm referring to the main window's title bar (with the close, minimise and whatever the green button is called) buttons and the caption "Adobe Audition". This title bar is styled like it is on a floating tool palette (i.e. it's very thin) rather than the application's main window. Doesn't seem right to me.

May not seem right, but is still legal according to Apple's UI guidelines AFAIK.

• 4. Re: Useability feedback
                Matthew Ralston Level 1

Okey dokey.

We'll agree to differ on the title bar then. :-)