6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2011 8:26 AM by jvonmutius

Doubt on layers

epdomingos

Hi!

I´m starting to learn flash cs5 a couple hours ago. Currently i´m learning how to use layers.

Imagine that I put a rectangle and an elipse inside layer 1. Then I create a new layer with a photo.

How can I see the list (root) of objects that are inside each layer? I know that I can use the outline color to visually identify them but is it possible to see the objects as a root?

for ex.:

layer1 ->rectangle1

->elipse1

layer2 -> image1

etc...

Thanks in advance

cheers

• 1. Re: Doubt on layers
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

if you can accept one object per layer, you can click a key frame in a layer (to select all the layer object), then right click over one of the selected objects and click distribute to layers.  each object will be in its own layer.  if you named your objects, the layers will be named so you can easily see what object is in what layer.

• 2. Re: Doubt on layers
            epdomingos Level 1

Thanks! So you advice is to put one object per layer.

I´ll follow it

Cheers

Eduardo

• 3. Re: Doubt on layers
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

one object per layer makes it easier to manipulate objects in the ide, is essential for timeline tweening and makes it easier to debug especially if the layers are named appropriately like flash does when distributing to layers.

the only drawback is you can have many layers.  but even that is easy to handle by grouping layers into folders which can then be collapsed.

• 4. Re: Doubt on layers
                jvonmutius

Go to Window > Movie Explorer (or hit Option F3). There's a series of buttons at the top after the word "Show:" If you hover over each button, it will tell you what it shows (movie clips, actions, etc.). Click the second button from the right to show layers. This will show you a hierarchy of all movie clips on the stage, all actions, and all layers.

I actually never thought of using this to select individual things on each layer, kind of like you would in Photoshop. So thanks for nudging me in the right direction.

• 5. Re: Doubt on layers
                  jvonmutius Level 1

One object per layer does make things easier and simpler, but everyone has their own workflow. If you want many things on one layer, you certainly can do it and make it work.

• 6. Re: Doubt on layers
                    jvonmutius Level 1

One object per layer does make things easier and simpler, but  everyone's workflow is different. If you want multiple items on each  layer, though, you can do it and make it work.

Edit: This is only posted twice because I received an "unexpected error" and didn't know it was posted the first time.

Message was edited by: jvonmutius