8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2011 12:42 PM by Berbank Green

Analyze Content bug (and sometimes crash)

Berbank Green

I'm using CS5 (recently updated) on a MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard)

I've been adding mp3s to my timeline and then hitting Analyze content, adding the associated script and hitting OK to match the text to the audio.

Recently this has stopped working and it seems to be because Media Encoder is failing. I have three outcomes:

1. Media Encoder loads but fails to add the render to the queue.

2. Media Encoder fails to load and nothing happens (I'm dumped back int Premiere)

3. Premiere crashes.

Usually in that order.

I don't seem to have the option to render the link within Premiere. I have checked by exporting media and this will often fail because of media encoder too.

If anyone can help, please let me know. I have an urgent job which needs this to work.

Thanks,

Berbank.

• 1. Re: Analyze Content bug (and sometimes crash)
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MP3 files have "historically" caused various kinds of problems, going all the way back to Premiere 6x... since not all MP3 files have the "correct" information in the file structure to work well for editing

Convert to 16bit 48khz WAV and try again

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Analyze Content bug (and sometimes crash)
            the_wine_snob Level 9

MP3's can Import and work fine, but some can cause issues. I find that ripping the MP3's to an appropriate format is fail-safe. For the PC, that conversion would be to PCM/WAV, as outlined in this ARTICLE. Not sure what the ultimate format (and settings) would be for the Mac.

As a test, I would try converting one of the problem MP3's to see if that helps.

Good luck, and if you know the ultimate Audio format/specs. for the Mac, please post that info, and I will update the article, which was written from a PC-perspective. Thank you.

Hunt

[Edit] I see that John T. can type faster, than I can...

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Analyze Content bug (and sometimes crash)
              Berbank Green Level 1

Hi Bill and John

That does ring a bell and I expect your suggestions are good.

I talked to Adobe Tech support earlier however and decided to uninstall then reinstall Premier Pro and not update it. It has worked perfectly since, so if anyone else is having this problem I'd suggest trying John/Bill's approach first and if that doesn't work, reinstall withough updates. (or at least not the update prior to today)

Thanks.

Berbank

• 4. Re: Analyze Content bug (and sometimes crash)
                Colin Brougham Level 6
                I talked to Adobe Tech support earlier however and decided to uninstall then reinstall Premier Pro and not update it. It has worked perfectly since, so if anyone else id having this problem I'd suggest trying John/Bill's approach first and if that doesn't work, reinstall withough updates. (or at least not the update prior to today)

Hmm... this makes me think that maybe you got bit by the "revert to trial when updating" bug that pops up every now and then, seemingly inexplicably. The problem is that when your installation reverts to trial mode, most MPEG-based assets become unusable. I can't recall if MP3s (which are MPEG-based) fall into the "unimportable" category or not. Had you updated to 5.0.3 just before this happened?

You almost certainly want to update--simply because of the numerous bug fixes and stability improvements--so if it happens again, be sure to deactivate the software, uninstall, run the Adobe CS5 Clean Tool a couple of times (rebooting each time), and then reinstall and update. You should be in good shape then.

• 5. Re: Analyze Content bug (and sometimes crash)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

If my memory serves me, then MP3 capabilities are also lost with the "Revert to Trial" Bug.

Hope that the next update will forever drive a wooden stake into the heart of that Bug.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Analyze Content bug (and sometimes crash)
                    Berbank Green Level 1

Hi Colin,

Thanks for letting me know, I hadn't heard about the Trial bug. The mp3s were playing fine, but I had recently updated, so there may well have been some confusion with the setup somewhere. I'll continue with what I have while I finish this project, but will reinstall after that. Thanks for your help.

Berbank

• 7. Re: Analyze Content bug (and sometimes crash)
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Hi Berbank,

Just noticed that you're using a Mac--this definitely seems to be a more regular occurrence with the Mac version of Premiere Pro. My guess would be that this was certainly the issue, as it seems to break some of the interconnectivity between various components of the suite, as well.

If you have any questions or problems with the reinstall, be sure to post back and we'll get you through it

• 8. Re: Analyze Content bug (and sometimes crash)
                        Berbank Green Level 1

Hi Colin,

Much obliged, I'll wait for the next update, try that and if I still get any eroneous behaviour I'll get back to you for reinstall tips. Thanks for the support.

Best,

Berbank