6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2011 6:32 AM by wocubcoue

How does one loop playback of small selections within the timeline?

wocubcoue Level 1

How does one loop a selection of footage from within the timeline? I'm trying to edit students' tapping hands and pencils on desks into small timed chunks that will play back as seamless loops and I need to be able to slowly shorten or elongate sections of footage as it plays and repeates until the loop matches the timing of the song we are making. I'm using PE8 and can't seen to find an easy way to do this. Surely there is one! Is there?

• 1. Re: How does one loop playback of small selections within the timeline?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

You do not actually loop back, but just place Instances of the Clip, one after the other, on the Timeline. You can Trim each Instance to be slightly different, regarding the In & Out Points, and can have as many Instances, as you need.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How does one loop playback of small selections within the timeline?
            nealeh Level 5

You will only get a seamless join if you ensure an identical frame at both the start and end of the clip.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: How does one loop playback of small selections within the timeline?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Good point Neale. I find that placing one Clip on, say Video Track 1, and the other on Video Track 2, and overlapping them, and with Snap OFF, sliding the Clip on Video Track 2 around a bit, with Opacity set to maybe 50% makes it fairly easy to see when the Clips match. PrE does not allow one to have ganged Program Monitors, to view each Clip separately, so one needs to work a bit more. Still, when one does get to that 100% alignment, they can Trim the Clip on Video Track 2 to that exact Frame, turn Opacity back to 100%, and either leave it on Video Track 2, or drag it to butt up to the other Clip, on Video Track 1.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Hunt

• 4. Re: How does one loop playback of small selections within the timeline?
                wocubcoue Level 1

I appreciate the help everbody, but It looks like I didn't state my question effectively. Let me try again.

It will be easier if I explain what it is I am used to. This is what I need to know how to do in PE8, because the school in which I teach AV has chosen PE8 for my classes and won't let me install anything else.

In Sony Vegas - all versions, you can click and drag to quickly make a selection of video and audio. You can do this while video is rolling and you can then choose to have your A&V loop within this selection. I have seen replies on this forum where this feature within Vegas was treated as if it were a dumb thing. It's not dumb once you realize what it can be used to do for you. While continuing to loop within your slelection, you can move this selection throughout your timeline, rough tuning where you want your loop to be. If your loop needs to be exactly 66 frames, for instance, you could first set this selection at 66 frames and then move it up and down the timlene until you find the best place to cut. Or, in the case of trying to find where some sound within your selection makes a seamless loop, you can increase or decrease the size of your selection on the fly as the selection continues to repeat.

How do you do that in PE8? If it can't do it, can the full version of Premiere?

Thanks again for the help.

-Chris

• 5. Re: How does one loop playback of small selections within the timeline?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements does not treat timeline events as Vegas does, Chris. So creating a repeating clip by over-extending it is not available.

• 6. Re: How does one loop playback of small selections within the timeline?
                    wocubcoue Level 1

Steve,

So it can't be done then.

Well, the good news is I don't feel like a complete idiot for not being able to figure out how to do it on my own.

Thanks for the help.

Chris