4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2011 3:26 PM by EricDuboisMDD

Bring back Change Layer Content

EricDuboisMDD Level 2

I know this has been requested since it was removed in CS4. But since it hasn't been reinstated and Adobe has not provided any reason for removing it, I thought I'd mention it again.

Better yet, instead of cluttering the Layer menu, add it to the contextual menu that appears when you right click a solid color, gradient, pattern, or adjustment layer.

• 1. Re: Bring back Change Layer Content
          Michael L Hale Level 5

Here is a link to a script you can use to change adjustment layer content. http://ps-scripts.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3452

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bring back Change Layer Content
            EricDuboisMDD Level 2

Thanks Mike. This will help but is no substitute to having the option built in.

I can run the script by choosing File > Scripts > Browse. I added it to the Photoshop CS5/Presets/Scripts folder but it doesn't appear in the script list. Any suggestion?

Choose File > Scripts and then select the script from the list. The scripts list includes all the script files saved with a .js or .jsx extension and saved in the Photoshop CS5/Presets/Scripts folder. To run a script saved in another location, choose File > Scripts > Browse and navigate to the script.

Also, it'd be nice to display the full list of options instead of only 3 at a time.

Thanks,

Eric

• 3. Re: Bring back Change Layer Content
              Michael L Hale Level 5

It may be better to have it built in but it looks like that is not likely to happen. Scripting at least allow the feature to be restored for those who want it.

If you have not restarted Photoshop after placing the script in the presets/scripts folder you will before it will appear in the menu. Also because this one can be recorded and played back in an action I put it in the File-Automate menu instead of File-Scripts.

I used a dropdown to keep the dialog small. If you want to edit the script you can replace the line

dlg.convertDd = dlg.add("dropdownlist", undefined,  adjustments.types );

With these two lines

dlg.convertDd = dlg.add("listbox", undefined,  adjustments.types );
              dlg.convertDd.preferredSize.height = 350;

Note you will need to edit with an editor that can save as plain text.

• 4. Re: Bring back Change Layer Content
                EricDuboisMDD Level 2

It looks like your answer go lost, so I'll quote it here.

Michael L Hale wrote:

It may be better to have it built in but it looks like that is not likely to happen. Scripting at least allow the feature to be restored for those who want it.

If you have not restarted Photoshop after placing the script in the presets/scripts folder you will before it will appear in the menu. Also because this one can be recorded and played back in an action I put it in the File-Automate menu instead of File-Scripts.

I used a dropdown to keep the dialog small. If you want to edit the script you can replace the line

dlg.convertDd = dlg.add("dropdownlist", undefined,  adjustments.types );

With these two lines

dlg.convertDd = dlg.add("listbox", undefined,  adjustments.types );
                dlg.convertDd.preferredSize.height = 350;

Note you will need to edit with an editor that can save as plain text.

I found the script in the Automate menu and the larger dialog box makes it much easier to use. Thanks a lot.

Eric