6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2011 7:08 AM by the_wine_snob

Fusing two clips

kdoc2 Level 1

How do I stick together two clips which have been accidentally cut. I see I can nest them, but then you lose the image on the timeline. I'm not sure of the term:fusing, sticking together, reuniting--two clips?

Thanks

kdoc

• 1. Re: Fusing two clips
          Colin Brougham Level 6

What do you mean by "accidentally cut?" The capture/import is in two pieces, or the clip is in two pieces in the sequence?

• 2. Re: Fusing two clips
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have made a Cut, say with Ctrl+K, or the Razor Tool, you have really done nothing, but add some instructions into the PRPOJ file in XML. That Cut does not exist, beyond the display in the Timeline. However, if you want to remove it, and it's too late to use Ctrl+Z (Undo), or the History Panel, just Delete the latter piece, and then click-drag the Tail of the preceeding piece, and drag it to the separate following Clip, to replace that Cut piece.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Fusing two clips
              kdoc2 Level 1

Thanks folks. Yes, Hunt, you've correctly 'translated' what I trying to say, albeit quite illiterately on my part. I understand: no "glue"--just drag it out again...or leave it alone, as it doesn't really hurt anything. It was razor cut some time ago, so history and Ctl-Z were out of the question.

kdoc (thanks very much)

• 4. Re: cuts made inadvertantly
                kdoc2 Level 1

By the way, in thinking back I think the problem wasn't that I mistakenly made a razor cut. I think  what happened was that i had meant to insert a clip between two clips, and that I inadvertently overlayed the clip just missing the transition place, thereby slicing a clip in two unequal parts--near one end. And I noticed that a couple of days later.

So my question is how to avoid this in the future. I try to use "snap", to watch for the white arrows appear, and to always hold down the Ctl key. But obviously it's easy to make a mistake. Any suggestions to avoid such errors? What's a good workflow when inserting clips and moving them around to prevent such mistakes. (It HAS been helpfull to hear that once discovered I can simply delete of the fragments, and draw out the other one).

kdoc

• 5. Re: Fusing two clips
                  ExactImage Level 3

Simple answer : You can't undo a cut that was made a while ago that you no longer want (it's out of the history)

Long answer : In Final Cut you can use a "Join through Edit" (it even shows you when there are consecutive frames across a cut) but alas Premiere Pro doesn't include this.  I've added a feature request here ( https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?event=processform&name=wishform ).  Please complete one of these to request the feature as well.  The more people ask for it the more they will give it some priority (at least that's the hope!).

The only real way I know of in PP is to delete one of the portions and extend the remaining portion to fill the gap.  It's not pretty, but it's a work around.

• 6. Re: cuts made inadvertantly
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

For what you describe, I normally do a Ripple Edit, by holding the Ctrl modifier key, forcing all Clips down the Timeline to move over, and accommodate my new Clip. I also work with Snap ON, in most cases, and also zoom in a bit onto the Timeline, to see things clearly.

PrPro offers several ways to accomplish the same thing. One can do most Clip modification (Trim) in the Timeline, and the Video Tracks, or they can use the Source Monitor, and either a drag to the Timeline, or keyboard shortcuts to Ripple, or Insert, or they can use the Trim Monitor (Ctrl+T, IIRC). In that lineup, I use the first most often, the second for the rest of the instances, and the last, not really at all. Other than some exercises in CiaB, I do not think that I have ever used the Trim Monitor, but some really like it.

Using the method, that I outlined above, one does not have to rely on Ctrl+Z, or the History Panel, to "un-Cut" a Clip. PrPro doesn't care if you have made a dozen Cuts. Those are just XML instructions, and the "master Clip" is untouched. Nothing happens, until you go to Export, and then PrPro just gathers the necessary data from that "master Clip." If one has Cut, but not made any changes to the resulting "sub Cliip," PrPro just ignores those Cuts. Note: I am using two terms, "master Clip" and "sub Clip" to indicate the original Asset, and the result of Cutting that original Asset. Those two terms have offical use elsewhere, and should not be confused. That is why "master" and "sub" are not capitalized. If you go to Help and look up Sub-Clip, or Master Clip" you will see the other, and official use of those terms. Just to save any confusion later on.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] I see that the "Unexpected Error Has Occurred" issue has not been fixed yet. At least I caught it, before I did another double post. Maybe when Adobe gets back to the office on Monday, the forum will get fixed... or maybe not.