8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2011 3:23 AM by Ankit_Jain

Adobe reader 10.0.1 patch, registry problem

samus de numenor

Hi everybody. I'm a young french boy but my problem concerns the adobe reader support.

Today, i tried to update Adobe reader to the latest update (10.0.1)

I already have the 10.0.0 ^^

But during the update process, the install program notify me that he couldn't find/acces to a key in the registry.

adobereaderproblem.png

I have the admin rights and i also try to install with the "right clic-> launch with admin rights".

I tried to "repare" the soft in "add/remove programs" but he notify me with that same error.

The more "funny" is that i can't uninstall it because i have also an error during the process.

I use the "windows install clean up" to remove it.

So, i tried to install a new proper version of 10.0.0.... error. I ask me how i can put it last time

I'm on a 64bits , windows 7.

(note : i also try to install with "resolve compatibility problem" )

If you can help me, it will be a good help ^^.

If you have any question...

• 1. Re: Adobe reader 10.0.1 patch, registry problem
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Looks like for some reason, your registry seems to have been corrupted. Can you please try and checking the properties for the below mentioned registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Components

You can do the same by following the below steps:

1. Open Start menu, and type regedit and hit Enter

2. Goto the registry key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Components

3. Right click on "Components" key and click on "Permissions" option.

4. For the "Administrators" and "SYSTEM" entries, make sure that "Full Control" option is checked.

5. Close the registry panel, and try installing the update again.

Hope this works

Ankit

• 2. Re: Adobe reader 10.0.1 patch, registry problem
            samus de numenor Level 1

Hi, thank you for your answer but i'm sorry to inform you that "full control" is already checked for "Administrators" and "SYSTEM".

My own account is not "full control" (for security reasons i suppose) but i can try to check it (and install adobe reader) just for the test.

• 3. Re: Adobe reader 10.0.1 patch, registry problem

Maybe the key I mentioned, wasnt the culprit key. You may have to search for the same by followung the below mentioned steps:

1. Open regedit and search for the letters in the error message i.e. "68AB67CA7DA73301B744AA0000000010"

2. Find the key you were looking for i.e. the key with "Components" in the path.

3. Right Click the key and select permissions, check for the Full Control for Administrators and SYSTEM.

Now click on "Advanced" and  select the Owner tab. Select a new owner from the lower box (i.e. your account name) and click  apply. Go back to the first screen and select “Add”, “Advanced”, “Find  Now” and select the same user account. Back on the first  screen click, Full control permission and apply.

4. Try to install Adobe Reader now. Hopefully, It should work now.

Ankit

• 4. Re: Adobe reader 10.0.1 patch, registry problem
                pwillener Level 8

Can you find that key (68AB67CA...) anywhere else in the registry?  If so, does that location have the appropriate permissions?

Caution: do not make any registry changes uness you have backed up the registry first (or made a System Restore Point)!

• 5. Re: Adobe reader 10.0.1 patch, registry problem
                  samus de numenor Level 1

Sorry but i can't find the key anywhere.

I also try to add the key and this doesn't change anything. I'm a bit worred if i will succes to install Adobe reader a day.

• 6. Re: Adobe reader 10.0.1 patch, registry problem

Hi,

Apologies for the typo in the key mentioned in the earlier post. The correct key as per the error message is: 68AB67CA7DA76301B744AA0000000010

Can you please try searching for this key and do the necessary steps as above.

Ankit

• 7. Re: Adobe reader 10.0.1 patch, registry problem
                      samus de numenor Level 1

hi !

Thank you for your answer but I view your error when you give me the first key so i already try with the "68AB67CA7DA76301B744AA0000000010" key. That's why i'm a bit worried.

• 8. Re: Adobe reader 10.0.1 patch, registry problem

Can you please check the permissions for the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData

Does the Administrators and the SYSTEM group have complete access to the mentioned key. If not grant them the required access.

Now, click on the Advanced button and check the checkbox for "Replace all Child objects permissions with inheritable permissions from this object."

Click OK and close all the dialogs. Try installing Adobe Reader X now.

P.S. As "ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ" suggested please take a backup of your registry settings beforehand.

Thanks

Ankit