11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2011 9:04 AM by Jim_Simon

Auto-save - doesn't seem to save

David Zeno Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have auto-save set to every 5 mins at the moment, which is great, if it only worked.

I did a test today, I created a new project, did a few things in the project, and saved it.  I then did some more bogus edits

and let the project just sit there for a good 30 mins.

I then shut down pp, and before it shut down ( exited ) pp asked me if I wished to save the project.  Auto-save is one so it must have saved my last bogus edits a good 30 mins before, so I said "no" to the quesiton, and exited.

I reloaded the project, and to my surprise, NONE of my bogus edits were saved.

I'm baffled.  If auto-save is on, and working, what is the problem ? why is it not saving the edits I did in a project ?

Thanks, Dave

• 1. Re: Auto-save - doesn't seem to save
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Auto-Save creates copies of your project.  It doesn't "save" to the currently working project.  If you open an auto-saved copy, you may find your changes.

• 2. Re: Auto-save - doesn't seem to save
            David Zeno Level 1

Hi Jim,

thanks for the reply.  I looked high and low yesterday for my autosave folder, and can't find it, nor any copies, so thought

perhaps it was saving, and re-saving the current project.

Where would I find those auto-save project files ?

Thanks for your help Jim,

Dave.

• 3. Re: Auto-save - doesn't seem to save
              Jim_Simon Level 8

The auto-save folder is always in the same folder as the project.  It can't be moved.

• 4. Re: Auto-save - doesn't seem to save
                David Zeno Level 1

Hi Jim,

just checked, and there should have been a number of "auto-save" files, and there's nothing, nothing at all.  I see the original project file,

but nothing else with the anything close to the same name as my project file.

Would pp delete those auto-save files, if you go and manually save the project file ?

Dave.

p.s. - and yes, the auto-save is enabled, I could see pp auto-saving every few minutes.

• 5. Re: Auto-save - doesn't seem to save
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Premiere Pro will overwrite old auto-saved copies, depending on how many you tell it to keep.  But it won't ever erase any outright, or delete the folder.

My guess is you're not looking in the right spot.  I know a producer who's just no good at editing (thank goodness, since he hires me for all his projects).  He had two copies in two different locations.  Kept wondering why the one he was looking at didn't affect the other.

• 6. Re: Auto-save - doesn't seem to save
                    David Zeno Level 1

Hi Jim,

Well, I just created a new folder, and had pp save a project file there.  Nothing else in the folder, except the project file.  I then

set the auto save to 1 min, and watched as it "saved " over and over ( auto save window appears briefly on the screen saying it is auto saving )

I have the folder open, and even after 10 mins, there is only a single project file in the folder.  ( I refreshed the folder several times ) and still a single project file is there.

I guess I'll end it there, and just save manually on a more regular basic, as it seems it just doesn't work for me.

thanks for your suggestions and time Jim.

Dave.

• 7. Re: Auto-save - doesn't seem to save
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Auto saves are separate from your project file, consider them as backups of your project file.

If you have a directory like PPBM, your auto save files are stored in E:\Video Projects\PPBM\Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save, as an example.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Auto-save - doesn't seem to save
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

For a little more background on the Save, Save_As, Save_As_a_Copy and AutoSaves, please see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Auto-save - doesn't seem to save
                          David Zeno Level 1

Hi Jim,

This morning I did a search for my project manually, and bingo, I found the project files ( auto save files ) , however they were

NOT in the same folder.  I found them in a folder on my desktop.

desktop/Adobe PremierePro Autosave

and there they are, dozens and dozens of them.  They are NOT in the same folder for some reason as the original file....

very very strange.

Dave.

JSS1138 wrote:

The auto-save folder is always in the same folder as the project.  It can't be moved.

• 10. Re: Auto-save - doesn't seem to save
                            David Zeno Level 1

Hi Bill, and Harm,

I just wanted to say that I found the auto save files.  They were not in the same folder as my original project file,

but I did locate them.  The mystery is solved.

Thank you for your help with this, as well as Jim's.

Dave.

• 11. Re: Auto-save - doesn't seem to save
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Well, one mystery at least.  To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to change the location of auto-saved copies.  They're always in the same folder as the project.  The new mystery is why aren't yours?