8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2011 12:50 PM by the_wine_snob

Creating a new project

wueschn

Hello everyone

I have a problem in understanding the sense of creating project. If I choose a project with PAL-DV (not HDV) and i put also HDV clips to the project, what happens then ? Or if I choose the project option HDV and I put non-HDV-clips to the project. Will the clips be recalculated ? As far as I can see the clips keep their measures.

Thanks a lot for your help and answer

Fan of Premiere Elements

Mario

• 1. Re: Creating a new project
          Robert J. Johnston Level 2

There once was a problem mixing clips with different interlacing patterns than the project preset. One is upper field first and the other lower field first. But I just tried a NTSC DV-AVI clip in a DV project and also added an HDV clip. When played back on a standard television, there was no problem with interlacing. So Premiere Elements 9 in this case knew what to do when sharing to a DVD disc.But I don't know what happens if you export to other formats besides a standard DVD.

Which version of Premiere Elements are you using?

• 2. Re: Creating a new project
            wueschn Level 1

First of all thanks to your answer

I use Premiere Elements 9. It´s not an actual problem that I try to solve with my question, it`s just for understanding the sense of choosing a project with certain parameter.

What could be the badest result if choose a wrong project parameter ? Will it be impossible to export it to certain media (DVD, flash, internet...) ??

greetings

Mario

• 3. Re: Creating a new project
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The biggest problems that one encounters, when the source footage does not match the Project Preset will be qualtiy loss, or unintended consequences.

If you place SD footage in an HD Project, you either have to Scale up the SD footage, or live with black bars around it. Scaling up will diminish the quality, but only your eyes can tell you if you can live with that.

If you place, say Standard 4:3 footage into a WideScreen 16:9 Project, you will have to Scale and crop out parts of the 4:3 footage, or live with black bars (pillar box here). If you use Interpret Footage to alter the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio), then the image will be stretched, and Aunt Marge will appear to gain 20 lbs.. Going the other way, you will then squeeze the images and they will be tall and skinny.

If you place 25 FPS footage into a 29.97 FPS Project, the playback will not be as smooth, or look as good. Same for going the other way.

One can mix footage, but they need to consider the outcome, and the consequences of doing so.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Creating a new project
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, the "common wisdom" of choosing the Project Preset, that matches the source footage 100% is to eliminate the potential issues, many mentioned above. If one has "fixes" for the consequences of not doing so, they can choose whatever Project Preset they want. Just know what the consequences are, or you will be beating your head against a wall.

Also, since PrE does not have Sequences (think mini-Projects in a main Project), there is not an easy way to change things, if you choose badly. The only real choices are to add a Clipboard extender program, to allow one to Copy/Paste form Project to Project, or they need to hack the Project's structure.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Creating a new project
                  wueschn Level 1

Hello Bill

That was a very helpful answer for me. Let me repeat some things to make clear that I have understood  everything.

a.) mixing up different video footages like SD, HD, different PARs isn`t a problem for the project itself. The problem is the outcoming, the shared videos like DVD, HD-videos etc. When one mixes up different footage in project and wants a share like (for example) a mpeg with H264 1920 x 1080i 30,  PSE9 does everything automatically, but the result may include a loss of quality.

b.) so when having different footage like HD, SD, 4:3, 16:9 ... it is recommanded to recalculate these footage before putting it into a PSE project  -> do you recommand a certain, easy to use software for that purpose, I think PSE9 isn`t able to handle it.

Thanks a lot

Mario

• 6. Re: Creating a new project
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Mario,

The issue with mis-matched footage, interspersed with footage that matches, is that one usually has to Scale, either up, or down, and often has to crop. This can cause a loss in quality. Some times, that loss in quality will not be too much, but other times, it will be disasterous.

As for conversions, I use an older program, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7, by Deskshare. They have upgraded a few times, since then, and I cannot comment on how well the newer versions might, or might not work.

For taking SD footage to HD, the best that I have found is Red Giant's Magic Bullet Instant HD. However, it is available as a plug-in for PrPro, and I do not think they have a version, that works in PrE, but could be wrong.

Personally, I like to prepare all of my footage to match both the bulk of the source material, and then the Preset. This takes the processing load off of PrE (or PrPro). Others just Import whatever, and live with it. Feeding the NLE program, what it likes best, just works best for me. Same when I go to author a DVD/BD in Adobe Encore. I try to relieve that program of any conversion, or editing duties, and handle all of that in my NLE first. I always feed Encore, just what it likes, so all that program has to do is create the navigation, the VIDEO_TS folder structure and then Burn to Disc, or Burn to Folder. So far, that has worked 100% of the time, while many others have issues, trying to make it do editing and conversions.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Creating a new project
                      wueschn Level 1

This helps me a lot. Thank you very much Bill !!

• 8. Re: Creating a new project
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome, and happy editing!

Hunt