7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2011 4:53 PM by Dob Seager

Multiple program Instances

Dob Seager

I recently upgraded from Premiere 8 to 9. Solved a whole bunch of crash problems on my machine. I now have a new one happening.

The program will lock up issuing the 'Sorry as serious error has occurred ......' message. Says it has to close but it doesn't.

When I bring up the task manager to abort it by hand I see two entries for Premiere 9  on the applications list..Clearly that would be a problem for most PCs. It happens when adding or editting effects  but can't seem to pin it down to a specific action so far.

Any ideas on this one? I am running Windows XP SP3.

Don Seager

• 1. Re: Multiple program Instances
          nealeh Level 5

That's normal. One for the Welcome dialog and one for the program:

1.png

2.png

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Multiple program Instances
            Dob Seager Level 1

Neal,

I almost always start Premiere by clicking on the prel file and that starts Premiere and loads the project without bringing up the startup screen. I also just finished breaking up 2 1/2 hours of old movies into many clips. So I only started working with the clips a couple of days ago and that is when things started  to lock up.

I should have mentioned that once this started I have the task manager up on the screen in the foreground while working with Premiere 9. There is always only one instance there and the system locks up when a second one appears.

Thanks for the quick reply

Dpn Seaer.

• 3. Re: Multiple program Instances
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As there is little to go on, in the troubleshooting area, this ARTICLE might give you some suggestions on the info that would be useful, and how to gather some of it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Multiple program Instances
                Dob Seager Level 1

Thanks Bill,

I really don't expect forum members to actually troubleshoot the case. My main reason for posting it was to see if it was a know problem waiting to be solved. Second is it something that someone else has seen before and got it resolved. It is a very interesting symptom and not one that would likely go unnoticed.

However with no feedback along those lines, I have to assume that it something in my current system configuration and that truly is like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Oh well back to doing a file save after every action. This one is worse in some ways than Premiere 8 because it takes so darn long for the Task Manager to abort it. Also it never gets to the troubleshooting summary to send to Adobe.

Something that might help. Is there a way to add/edit/delete effects to multiply selected clips at the same time?

Thanks,

Don Seager

• 5. Re: Multiple program Instances
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you mean mutiple clips on the timeline, yes, you can add effects and transitions to several clips at once in versions 8 and 9.

• 6. Re: Multiple program Instances
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, I do not recall reading of your specific situation, but might just have missed it.

It could well be unique to your system, or to your installation.

Good luck with the troubleshooting.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Multiple program Instances
                      Dob Seager Level 1

Thanks Steve,

I will open a new discussion if I need further help but for now I got the impression that this is done from the Timeline view. I doesn't work in the Sceneline view but maybe I am not seeing something.

As for my original problem I have since determined that the error itself occurs when I am editting effects and go back up and slelect the Effects selection. Once I select the edit effects I can move form clip to clip with no problem as long as I don't select the Effects selection again. Do that and it crashes. I can get around it by going through another function like Media before I select Effects again so it's ok. It well could be specific to my configuration.

The multiple instances in the Task Manager appear immediately after I select the OK button on the error message that Premier has to exit. That I can understand as Premiere may call a separate module to do the exit. It eventually will go away on it's own but not until the Microsoft crash message is created. The Adobe crash message does not appear but maybe that is not part of Premiere 9.

I will say in general I am very happy with Premiere 9. It far more stable on my system and I can, for the first time, work on for hours with no crashes. This one is minor compared to 8.

Thank you Adobe

Don Seager

. .