10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2011 4:58 PM by jenbayjazz

PIP shapes ?

jenbayjazz

Can anyone tell me how to change the shape of a PIP to a circle or oval shape.

Thanks !

• 1. Re: PIP shapes ?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Use the titler or a plug-in like http://www.pixelan.com/sm25/intro.htm

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PIP shapes ?
            jenbayjazz Level 1

Harm: thanks for the reply so fast ! Please excuse my ignorance but how

would you use the titler to change the shape of a PIP to an oval or circle?

I thought the title menu was for titling at the beginning of a movie for

titles and credits and so forth.

If you know of a URL that tells or shows how this is done that would be

great or if it's not to much trouble and time to explain to me what the

process is.

Thanks Again !

Mark

• 3. Re: PIP shapes ?
              SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

Take a look at track matte

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PIP shapes ?
                jenbayjazz Level 1

Harm: thanks for the reply so fast ! Please excuse my ignorance but how would you use the titler to change the shape of a PIP to an oval or circle? I thought the title menu was for titling at the beginning of a movie for titles and credits and so forth. I looked in the title menu and didn't see anything there that would allow me to do what you suggest.

If you know of a URL that tells or shows how this is done that would be great or if it's not to much trouble and time to explain to me what the process is.

I did go to the plug in URL you suggested  but was hoping to be able to do the PIP oval shape right in Premier Pro CS5 if that is possible.

Thanks Again !

Mark

• 5. Re: PIP shapes ?
                  jenbayjazz Level 1

Hi Steve: thanks for that. Now all I need to do is know what a Track Matte is !  I'm a newbe to this program. I have been doing some simple editing on Premier Elements and just started using Premier Pro.

I have some very basic understanding using this program under my belt but haven't looked at Track Matte and truthfully don't know what that is !

Thanks anyway. I thought that maybe there was a simple solution to changing the shape of the PIP.  I thought it may have been in some of the presets or video effects but it is not or I don't know how to find it.

• 6. Re: PIP shapes ?
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Nest the footage and drop the oval which you can draw in the titler (set it to pure white and drop a Fast Blur for the feather on it) on top op it.

Drop a Track Matte as Steve.

Go back to the main timeline, scale the pip down and set the it anywhere you like.

You can use any shape.

track matte pip.png

track matte pip 2.png

• 7. Re: PIP shapes ?
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

The Help documents are a superb place to start: Track Matte Key effect

You'll also find links to third-party tutorials and videos about using the Track Matte on that page.

For simple circle shapes, try the Circle Effect with the mode set to Stencil Alpha.

• 8. Re: PIP shapes ?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Current situation: track 1 is the original clip and track 2 is the PIP.

Make the settings like this: track 1 the original clip, move track 2 up to track 3 and insert a title clip in track 2. This title clip should only contain the circle or oval you need. That will act as a track matte for your PIP. No need to nest sequences.

• 9. Re: PIP shapes ?
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks for putting me straight on the nesting (forgot about that).

oval track matte.png

Another example:

verrekijker.png

• 10. Re: PIP shapes ?
                            jenbayjazz Level 1

Thanks to all of you who answered this for me . YOU ARE FANTASTIC !!!!!!