9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 7:43 AM by the_wine_snob

Critical audio out of sync in MPEG2 export

N Hallgren

I've now tried this on three different PC's.

Open a new project.

Add a sequence (tried DV PAL Widescreen 48kHz and XDCAM EX 1080i50).

Import a clip where you can see audio/video sync (i used a clapperboard).

Drag it to the sequence.

Zoom in and look at your audio waveform, the video and audio is now perfectly in sync.

Export it as MPEG2 DVD.

VIDEO

Quality 5

720x576

Field order (same as source)

9 Mbps (also tried lower bitrates)

Audio

Mpeg

224 Kbps

Multiplexing

DVD

Export and reimport to sequence

Audio is now 3 frames after video, WHY?????

If I export with PCM audio its in sync but I need MPEG audio for our playout server.

Can somebody explain this? Because now it looks like a serious bug to me.

Best regards

Niclas Hallgren

• 1. Re: Critical audio out of sync in MPEG2 export
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Have you installed the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) update? The recent updates fix a lot of problems, including some with A/V synch.

For one of these bug fixes to take effect, you have to re-index your MPEG assets, since the bug was in how the index files were generated. See this page.

• 2. Re: Critical audio out of sync in MPEG2 export
            N Hallgren Level 1

I have 5.0.3 installed. Do I need to re-index if the asset was imported

long after the 5.0.3 update was done? Its a really big problem for us

since we're making 5-10 programs every week and all now needs to have

video moved 3 frames before export so it stays in sync.

BR

Niclas Hallgren

• 3. Re: Critical audio out of sync in MPEG2 export
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>tried DV PAL Widescreen 48kHz and XDCAM EX 1080i50

You don't "try" things... you have your sequence 100% match the footage, or things won't go well

2nd post for NEW ITEM pointer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/770072?tstart=0

• 4. Re: Critical audio out of sync in MPEG2 export
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Do I need to re-index if the asset was imported long after the 5.0.3 update was done?

No. If this were the bug that I was thinking of, then only imports done before the update was applied would need to be re-indexed.

• 5. Re: Critical audio out of sync in MPEG2 export
                  N Hallgren Level 1

John: Ok, lets refrase. Of course I only tried DV PAL with DV PAL source

and XDCAM EX 1080i50 with only XDCAM EX source. I just wanted to show that

its a larger problem thats happening on different sequences...

BR Nicke

• 6. Re: Critical audio out of sync in MPEG2 export
                    N Hallgren Level 1

So has anybody else noticed the same or am I just doing something wrong?

Does somebody have time to test it to see if you get the same result?

Maybe its a PAL only problem, who knows.

• 7. Re: Critical audio out of sync in MPEG2 export
                      Alek siR

I'm having the same freaking problem with my CS5 (Mac OSX 10.6.6.)!!!!! I'm doing animations with separate audio and when converting to MPEG2 there's always that 3 frame delay. The 5.0.3. update didn't help at all and it's all the same in After Effects. This is VERY SERIOUS problem for me because I'm doing TV commercials which uses multiplexed mpeg2.

And yes I use also PAL. But the same problem has appeared when doing custom sized mpeg2's. It has worked before (with CS2) so how come this is such a big problem to solve now?

And I would love to have the solution RIGHT NOW or give me an older version free of charge.

• 8. Re: Critical audio out of sync in MPEG2 export
                        N Hallgren Level 1

I have made a bug report explaining where it goes wrong but on the

bugreport page it says something like don't expect to get an answer

The problem is the multiplexing, if you export a MPEG2 video with audio

and video separate (no multiplexing) the files are fine. I have now been

using ImagoMPEG-Muxer (PC) to multiplex the files and then they are in perfect

sync. If you multiplex (with CS5) with PCM audio there is also no audio

sync problem. We're running both PC's and Mac's and both have the same

problem.

I understand that Adobe is a big company and fixing things takes time but

I have found this problem in forums showing that is was found many months

ago. But maybe nobody has made a bugreport before me...

• 9. Re: Critical audio out of sync in MPEG2 export
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I have made a bug report explaining where it goes wrong but on the bugreport page it says something like don't expect to get an answer

Filing the Bug Report is the correct step, and one too often overlooked by others. Thank you for filing yours.

As for the response, Adobe takes those Bug Reports very seriously, and will hand them off to a group of engineers in the lab to work on. First, they have to replicate the issue, so the more info that you can provide, the easier it will be for them to replicate the problem. They will then work on a fix, and then implement that in an update, probably along with other fixes.

Unless they need more info, you will very likely not be contacted, as everyone will be busy on that problem, and on others. It is not until the fixes are implemented, that one will know if that Bug was addressed (unless one of the Adobe employees knows the disposition of a particular fix, and drops by with info). Also, depending on where in the process of the next update, the fix is discovered, it might, or might not, make it into THAT update.

Good luck, and glad that you filed the report,

Hunt