7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2011 7:24 AM by the_wine_snob

Program opens but won't stay visible

PlushKat

I have Premier Elements 8 and Windows 7.  Premier Elements is on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen.  I always click on this and then open a previous project.  This week I opened it, I momentarily saw the menu and the entire screen minimized so that the program shows open on the taskbar but I can't get it on the screen to work on it.  I deleted a few previous projects today and have now restored the one that was in the recycle bin and I still can't get last week's project to show on the screen.

We video our church services and I send out an edited video each week but this week I can't get the program to stay open on the screen.  Can someone please help me?

Nancy

• 1. Re: Program opens but won't stay visible
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may have a corrupted preferences file... restart you computer, then...

Reset Preferences = Press/HOLD Ctrl+Alt+Shift while starting program

• 2. Re: Program opens but won't stay visible
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Nancy,

If resetting the Prefs. does not help, I would download and install the very latest audio & video drivers, from the mfgr's. Web site. There were several OS updates recently, and those can render a video, or audio driver obsolete. With a driver, that PrE cannot directly access and work with, one can get the type of responses, that you describe.

While at it, I would also check that you have the latest version of Apple's QT Player installed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Program opens but won't stay visible
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The FAQs to the right of the forum offer the most common solution.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/542377?tstart=0

• 4. Re: Program opens but won't stay visible
                PlushKat Level 1

I seem to be having nothing but problems today.  I finally got one of the previous programs to stay visible on the monitor once I removed the "pref" file.  Everything was going okay until I got the cord to my headphones tangled around my feet and pulled it out of the computer.  Now I can't hear a sound on any headset.  Any suggestions?

Nancy

• 5. Re: Program opens but won't stay visible
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Plug the cord back in?

If pulling out that plug really broke something, you've clearly got some kind of hardware problem -- so I doubt we can help you much. Worst case is that you've blown out your sound card. But it could also be that you've torn a wire in your headphones or speaker wires.

You're just going to have to try a number of speakers and headphones and see if any work in any jack. If not, it may be time to head to Best Buy for a new sound card.

• 6. Re: Program opens but won't stay visible
                    PlushKat Level 1

I can hear on everything else I tried on two different head sets.  The only thing I can't hear is the project I'm working on.

• 7. Re: Program opens but won't stay visible
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I can hear on everything else I tried on two different head sets.  The only thing I can't hear is the project I'm working on.

This sounds like an Audio Hardware setting in PrE, BUT, nothing should have been changed there, by the mechanical act of removing the headset's connection. If there was a mechanical issue, it would affect all Audio monitoring, and not just with PrE.

As a test, close PrE, then re-launch, and choose New Project. Just choose any of the 2-channel Audio Presets, say NTSC DV Standard. Import a simple WAV file. Your computer should have hundreds of those in the system, etc., as they are the Audio for most of the "noises" that computers make. Do a Search of your C:\ for " .WAV " (without the quotation marks), and just choose one of the longer WAV files. Note: there are 10's of thousands of WAV files on the Internet, if you need to download one to test with.

Now, after that test WAV file has Imported, drag it to the Timeline, and hit play. Do you hear the Audio?

If not, look over this ARTICLE.

Good luck, and please report,

Hunt