24 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2011 10:01 AM by kflorian

After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi

kflorian
      1. I updated from Ppro CS3 to CS5 purchased from the Adobe store.

1. I opened a project created in CS3 in CS5 and followed the prompt to save it as a new project.

1. All tracks, edits, etc were intact and any given sequence played re-rendered etc., as expected.

1. I created a new project, imported one of the same avi files used in step 2.  Again, everything worked properly

1. I ran update from the PPro help menu to 5.0.3.   I ran this process two different times.  The first time I selected all updates.  The second time I only update PPro itself.  I did a system restore in between, the following results were identical in both situations.

1. Now, when I open either the converted or new projected file, Ppro reports the media as "offline"…it is not.  If I "Link Media" the file, I get this message:   The selected file does not contain audio media used by clip references in one or more sequences.  These audio clip references will be deleted, and cannot be undone.  Do you want to continue?"
      2. Gspot.exe reports the audio codec as MPEG-1 Layer 2 and the video codec as MJPG

1. The avi files were rendered on a MAC from .MOV's to AVI's.  Here are the file properties that PPRo reports:

File Path: E:\CONVERTED\3-1

Type: QuickTime Movie

File Size: 21.9 GB

Image Size: 1440 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 24

Frame Rate: 29.97

Total Duration: 00:23:47:20

Average Data Rate: 15.7 MB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.3333

1. Something in the update from 5.0 to 5.0.3 is the problem.

Running on Windows 7, x64, latest updates

• 1. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you have the full compliment of MPEG and HD options showing? Probably easiest to just look at your Export options.

It sounds like you have been bitten by the "Revert to Trial" Bug. If so, you will not have HD, or any MPEG options.

If so, then follow these steps:

• Deactivate, if possible.
          • Uninstall PrPro.
          • Run the Adobe Clean Script CS5 several times, rebooting between each.
          • Install PrPro.
          • Immediately update, before launch.
          • Launch and test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
            kflorian Level 1

Belay that.

I found the manual download site.

Hi Hunt,

Thanks for the tip.  In the middle of the process right now.  What is the recommended way to run update without actually starting the app?

Ken

• 3. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ken,

Many have found that updating the entire suite (if you have one), is most easily done via Bridge.

Others, will go to the Adobe download site, gather what they need, and then with all anti-virus, etc, shut off, will run the executables.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                kflorian Level 1

I ran one uninstall/reinstall iteration per your instructions but got the same results.

The one variable I noticed is that during my first install earlier today, the installer correctly requested both the new activation code and a prior activation code as proof that this was an eligilbe upgrade.  When I did the install the second time (after uninstalling and running the cleanup script twice) I used the new activation code but did not get the prompt for a prior code.

I have a credible system state prior to any install of ppro cs5 so I will use that tomorrow to try again.

I still have installed CS Design Standard and PPro CS3.. Ought I uninstall Ppro CS3?

Thank you kindly for your input.  I will report back when I've had a chance to run it one more time.

Ken Florian

• 5. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Ken,

Did you install the 64 bit version of Morgan or Mainconcept MJPEG codec?

• 6. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                    kflorian Level 1

Harm,

Yes.  I have Mainconcept 3.3 installed in CS3.  Not sure if it is a x64 or x86 version since I don't recall if there was an option when I acquired it.

I'm guessing now that this is the culprit and that uninstalling it may fix the problem?

Ken

• 7. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

You don't need to uninstall it, you have to make sure you have the 64 bit version installed for CS5.

• 8. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                        davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Not sure if your problem is added to the list of folks with similar problems, but I had the exact same issue happen when I moved from CS4 to CS5... here's a link to my thread on it http://forums.adobe.com/thread/737264?tstart=0 and here's the fix given to me by Colin Brougham:

1. Download MPEG Streamclip, and unzip it--no install needed. The latest beta version is fine.
                        2. Open one of the broken files in MPEG Streamclip.
                        3. Select File > Save As, and select a new save location. You probably want to keep the file name the same as the original (this is the default).
                        4. Hit OK.
                        5. Profit!

Read the thread for more background info on what's going on and why...

• 9. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                          kflorian Level 1

Hi David,

I did see that thread but have not yet tried that solution.  It looked like a similar problem but there were enough "sub-topics" within the thread that I didn't want to go outside what my specific resolution would be.  I see now that the solution is relatively benign.  I have been quite cavalier in my life about installing and uninstalling and trying "stuff".  In recent years I've become more discriminating....mainly because there is only so much time in a lifetime and rebuilding an OS and my myriad software is no longer entertainment!

Thanks for the pointer.  I will surely give it a try.

Ken

• 10. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                            davidbeisner2010 Level 3

That's always a good call, being careful with installs/uninstalls. However, many pros use that free software and there don't seem to be any bugs or hidden things with it (though I would download it from the official site in the link, not just any file-sharing site). Good luck!

• 11. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                              kflorian Level 1

I went back to a win7 restore point pre-CS5 install

I uninstalled MainConcept  I

ran CS5 cleanup twice

I installed CS5  I updated through Bridge.

No change in result.

CS3 Standard is installed as well as Ppro CS3

Streamclip won't even open one of the problematic avi's  It does open the corresponding .mov from which the avi's were rendered but there is only audio no video in the Streamclip player itself.  Further, neither cs3 or cs5 will open the original .mo.  It cannot find the codec and takes me to Apple's "here are some codec's you might like" page

Thanks to all for your volunteer labor in helping me try to resolve this.

Ken Florian

• 12. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                                Steve from NY Level 1

Harm,

I have cs5.03

How do I find out if I have the latest 64 bit version of mainconcept?

What is the latest version?

Is it free? Worth purchasing??

Thanks,

Steve

PC based

• 13. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Steve,

I have never used Morgan of Mainconcept MJPEG codecs myself, so I don't know the price, but I know that people who downloaded either one, were able to handle their MJPEG material without problems. Go to their sites and look around, but keep in mind you need the 64 bit version for CS5.

• 14. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                                    kflorian Level 1

Steve,

It is not free.  I have an inquiry to them now about obtaining an x64 version.

Ken

• 15. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                                      kflorian Level 1

Further.

I have now uninstalled CS3 and MainConcept 3.3.

I installed CS5...same results

I installed the trial version of MainConcept 5.1...which is the CS5-compatible version.

Same results.

How agreeable is Adobe to refunds for properly deactivated products?

• 16. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Ken,

I know you're reluctant to install random programs, but if you'll do the following, it might help to get to the bottom of this.

Grab MediaInfo for your OS, and install it. Analyze one of the files in MediaInfo, and then use the Text view mode to copy and paste the results here. I want to see something...

• 17. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                                          kflorian Level 1

Colin,

Thanks. I  trust a guy with 3,000 posts. Is this the output you wanted to see?

General
                                          Complete name                    : E:\CONVERTED\coregenius\1.avi
                                          Format                           : AVI
                                          Format/Info                      : Audio Video Interleave
                                          Format profile                   : OpenDML
                                          File size                        : 72.1 GiB
                                          Duration                         : 1h 15mn
                                          Overall bit rate                 : 137 Mbps

Video
                                          ID                               : 0
                                          Format                           : JPEG
                                          Codec ID                         : MJPG
                                          Bit rate                         : 137 Mbps
                                          Width                            : 1 440 pixels
                                          Height                           : 1 080 pixels
                                          Display aspect ratio             : 4:3
                                          Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
                                          Color space                      : YUV
                                          Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:2
                                          Bit depth                        : 8 bits
                                          Compression mode                 : Lossy
                                          Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 2.931
                                          Stream size                      : 71.9 GiB (100%)

Audio
                                          ID                               : 1
                                          Format                           : MPEG Audio
                                          Format version                   : Version 1
                                          Format profile                   : Layer 2
                                          Codec ID                         : 50
                                          Bit rate mode                    : Constant
                                          Bit rate                         : 256 Kbps
                                          Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
                                          Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
                                          Compression mode                 : Lossy
                                          Stream size                      : 138 MiB (0%)
                                          Alignment                        : Aligned on interleaves
                                          Interleave, duration             : 24 ms (0.72 video frame)
                                          Interleave, preload duration     : 24 ms

• 18. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                                            kflorian Level 1

FWIW,

here is the output for the corresponding .mov file...which PPro will not load

General
                                            Complete name                    : E:\coregenius\1.mov
                                            Format                           : MPEG-4
                                            Format profile                   : QuickTime
                                            Codec ID                         : qt 
                                            File size                        : 14.0 GiB
                                            Overall bit rate                 : 26.6 Mbps
                                            Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-11-18 20:09:00
                                            Tagged date                      : UTC 2010-11-18 20:09:01
                                            Writing library                  : Apple QuickTime
                                            Original source medium           : 001
                                            ©TSC                             : 2997
                                            ©TSZ                             : 100

Video
                                            ID                               : 1
                                            Format                           : hdv2
                                            Codec ID                         : hdv2
                                            Bit rate mode                    : Variable
                                            Bit rate                         : 25.0 Mbps
                                            Width                            : 1 416 pixels
                                            Original width                   : 1 440 pixels
                                            Height                           : 1 062 pixels
                                            Original height                  : 1 080 pixels
                                            Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
                                            Frame rate mode                  : Constant
                                            Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
                                            Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.555
                                            Stream size                      : 13.2 GiB (94%)
                                            Language                         : English

Audio #1
                                            ID                               : 2
                                            Format                           : PCM
                                            Format settings, Endianness      : Little
                                            Format settings, Sign            : Signed
                                            Codec ID                         : sowt
                                            Bit rate                         : 768 Kbps
                                            Channel(s)                       : 1 channel
                                            Channel positions                : Front: L
                                            Bit depth                        : 16 bits
                                            Stream size                      : 414 MiB (3%)

Audio #2
                                            ID                               : 3
                                            Format                           : PCM
                                            Format settings, Endianness      : Little
                                            Format settings, Sign            : Signed
                                            Codec ID                         : sowt
                                            Bit rate                         : 768 Kbps
                                            Channel(s)                       : 1 channel
                                            Channel positions                : Front: R
                                            Bit depth                        : 16 bits
                                            Stream size                      : 414 MiB (3%)
                                            Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-11-18 20:09:01

Menu
                                            ID                               : 4
                                            Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-11-18 20:09:01

• 19. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                                              Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks Ken, that's what I needed.

OK, here's the story: these files will never play on a Windows machine. The AVIs won't al all, and the MOVs won't either--at least, not without some help.

The MOVs are using the Apple Intermediate Codec (that's what the "hdv2" business is all about), and Apple never released a decoding component for QuickTime on Windows. Similarly, when you converted these to AVIs, all that happened was that the encoded video got moved from one box (a QuickTime MOV) to another box (a Microsoft AVI). This doesn't enable decoding--even though the codec is reported as MJPEG, which is basically a false positive--so that's why the AVIs won't work either.

The AVIs are pretty much a lost cause, I'm sorry to say, but you might have some luck with the QuickTimes. Try the demo (yes, another thing to install ) of the Calibrated{Q} XD Decode components. These should crack open the MOVs so you can use them on Windows. There is a watermark, but at least you can see if it will work.

Barring that, you will have to go back to the Mac and actually transcode these files using a different codec, rather than simply rewrapping them. If you need to do this, I'll be happy to provide some thoughts on that subject. Let's see how you make out with the XD Decode plugins (and if you want to purchase them), and we'll take it from there.

EDIT: After looking a little more closely at the MediaInfo report, the AVIs don't have the AIC codec, but might actually be MJPEG. For giggles, try changing the extension to MOV and see what happens...

• 20. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                                                kflorian Level 1

Colin,

Thanks much for your input.  I'm close to a working solution but its worth a summary and one more quick question.

I'm a home enthusiast when it comes to video editing and so the phrase "I know enought to be _extremely_ dangerous" is most apropos.

I loved the "shennanigan-like" idea of renaming the file and tried it right away to no avail.

I think it is especially notable that the AVIs did open in CS5 5.0.0 and the audio and video was intact. After updating to 5.0.3, the video still opened and played but the audio went missing.  I'm not sure how that experience squares with your thought that the AVIs never were going to work.

The Calibrated{Q} decoder does work with the MOVs although playback performancce within CS5 was a bitter choppier than the AVIs when I was running 5.0.1.   I know that there is no computer on the planet too fast for video editing so I'll just have to take my lumps there until new hardware slips in the door.   The $130 for Calibrated is now a small price to pay to get these working in CS5.

The one remaing question: with CS5 and Calibrated{Q}, under what circumstances would I still need MainConcept?  I purchased it a few years ago when I needed to edit HD footage from a consumer-grade camera in CS3.

Are there other products like Calibrated which might decode faster in CS5 or is Calibrated the one to get?

Ken Florian

• 21. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Hey Ken,

Sorry, I missed the part about the AVIs previously working. I tried to follow the thread, but got in late and couldn't follow all the permutations Theoretically, nothing major should have changed as far as format support between 5.0.0/5.0.1 and 5.0.2/5.0.3, but that is a question and consideration for the engineering team. You don't happen to have an itty-bitty sample of one of these files you could upload somewhere for testing, do you?

Regarding Calibrated: check out this page at Calibrated for information and a solution involving a customized XML file. It's designed to specifically deal with the slow-down when decoding XD/HDV formats with this plug-in. I actually communicated with Greg at Calibrated (a very helpful guy--contact him via the website if you have questions and he will respond quickly) about this issue, and here is what he had to say:

Per the XML file - yep it can be used with Calibrated{Q} XD Decode for Windows too.

Basically the XML file is modified from the one that comes with PPro - and it just tells Adobe CS5 applications (AE and PPro) that our Decode codecs support native YUV decoding - thus PPro will ask our Decode codecs for YUV frames which in turn makes the performance/playback much much faster.

Without the XML file, PPro asks our codecs for 8-bit RGB frames - which then takes a big hit on playback - as our codecs must first decompress the data to YUV and then convert the YUV to RGB and then hand to PPro. The XML file let's PPro know that it can just ask for the YUV frames directly.

That should get you up and running in short order, at a decent speed. This is the only solution for these files on the PC that I am aware of; yes, there is cost associated, but it may be worth it to you. The other "free" solution as I alluded to before, would be to convert these to a wholly different codec on a Mac. This assumes you have ready access to a Mac to do this; if you want, I'll suggest some codecs that will preserve the original quality and be cross-platform.

As far as MainConcept is concerned: for the MOVs, it's not necessary (if you go with Calibrated). Why it's not functional with the AVIs is a mystery... still scratching my head over that issue...

• 22. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                                                    kflorian Level 1

Very close to a wrap.  I think CalibratedQ is the way to go for the price.  The xml configuration file fixed the choppy playback.

Rerendering the MOVs is a much bigger proposition because I'm not cool enough to have a mac friend with the right camera and cpu and I'm not going back to the "commercial" studio which shot the footage.

I removed MainConcept since I hadn't yet purchased the 5.1 upgrade.

I think my last question is what is the optimal cs5 editing preset for the MOV files I have?

Ken

• 23. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                                                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Rerendering the MOVs is a much bigger proposition because I'm not cool enough to have a mac friend with the right camera and cpu....

That's funny...

I think my last question is what is the optimal cs5 editing preset for the MOV files I have?

If this is the only footage you'll be editing, the simple solution is to just drag one of the clips to the New Item button at the bottom of the Project Panel; it's the one that looks like a dog-eared sheet of paper. This will cause Premiere to create a new sequence that matches your footage parameters as closely as possible.

Generally speaking, however, there is not really an "optimal" preset for any given footage type. Premiere Pro is pretty flexible, in that you can use footage of any sort in any sort of sequence you want or need. Certainly, in most applications, you want things like frame size, pixel aspect ratio, and frame rate to match your footage, but this not always necessary or even desired. I frequently work in sequences that are almost completely different from my source footage--it really is dictated by your personal working preferences and your desired output. For example, I work frequently with 1080i/p assets, but need to output to an SD output; in cases like this, I don't even bother with an HD sequence preset.

How's that for non-commital

Anyway, glad you're on the way to resolution. Wish it hadn't cost you a C-note, plus!

• 24. Re: After upgrade to CS5 Audio does not import / load with video in avi
                                                        kflorian Level 1

All,

Who knows what "evil" lurks in the heart of minor version upgrades?

It turned out that Colin's Calibrated{Q} suggestion turned out to be the best fit solution for me.

However, I'm grateful to all for your volunteer help.  While I'm far too green to provide much assistance here, I'll pay-it-forward in my own way in the next few weeks.

Thanks,

Ken