3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2011 9:42 AM by Bill Gehrke Branched from an earlier discussion.

CUDA features with 310M

balizumba

I just bought a brand new ASUS a42jc laptop. i5.4gb RAM. Geforce nvidia 310m 1gb CUDA.

I wanted to update my drivers to get the acclerated cuda rendering in Premiere CS5. THEN I checked the Nvidia site and they say my 310m card is not supported! wtf!? because the sticker on the laptop with nvidia logo says "geforce 310m CUDA 1GB". so wouldn't that mean i could use the drivers?

I tried to use the drivers. they installed fine. then when i rebooted laptop my screen froze to black screen! i had to roll back the drivers to get computer working again.

I see you said something about a hack for unsupported cards? how do i do this? would it work on my system?

much help needed...i've been trying to figure this CUDA thing out for the past month!

THanks

Z

• 1. Re: CUDA features with 310M
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I wanted to update my drivers to get the acclerated cuda rendering in Premiere CS5. THEN I checked the Nvidia site and they say my 310m card is not supported! wtf!? because the sticker on the laptop with nvidia logo says "geforce 310m CUDA 1GB". so wouldn't that mean i could use the drivers?

That sticker means that the card has CUDA technlogy built in. It doesn't mean anything about whether Premiere Pro can use this card for CUDA processing. The system requirements for Premiere Pro are here, including a list of which cards provide those features:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

See this thread for details about CUDA and Premiere Pro CS5:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3377595

• 2. Re: CUDA features with 310M
            balizumba Level 1

So I've been reading that it's possible to "hack" the
            cuda_supported_cards.txt" and add my card so Premiere detects it and i
            can switch to the accelerated GPU. Any thoughts about this? I've been
            reading that many people have successfully done this.

How much would the CUDA driver really speed up my editing in Premiere
            keeping in mind that my system is not so powerful (i-5,4gb
            RAM,etc...). I read that if the system is kind of low (like mine) that
            the increased speed  won't be so noticeable compared to a more
            powerful system. so therefore is it worth me racking my brains on how
            to get this CUDA thing operating?

Also I'm a bit confused to which nvidia driver i should update to.
            I've been on the nvidia site and they recommend a certain driver for
            my system (, then when the details pop up before i download, under
            "supported cards" that my Ge Force 310m is not supported! this doesn't
            make any sense.

I need to update to version 266.58 WHQL, and there seems to be many
            different versions of this driver. Are they all the same?

Then i found another link that specified my 310m card
            http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/266.58/266.58_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_internati onal_whql.exe

But i'm scared to run this thing because last time I ran what i
            thought was the updated driver, my screen froze at a black screen and
            I had to roll back my drivers to fiz the problem.

what do you think?
            p.s: thanks a lot guys for helping me out. I'm really not a computer
            wiz, just learning now...late bloomer

Z

• 3. Re: CUDA features with 310M
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It would not hurt anything to try enabling your 310M.  Properly adding your card to this file will not hurt anything.  Even with a underpowered laptop it will help.  Also with your laptop you really need a second full speed interfaced  7200 RPM disk drive to be practical with CS5 and this laptop does not have any way to do that.  Your screen resolution is below the minimum Adobe required so you may have problems with the user interface.  Your single 5400 RPM drive is a handicap you might get by editing with SD DV format video but it absolutely will not work with higher compressed formats of the HD form.