8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 5:50 AM by Steve Grisetti

Freeze issue in Premiere Elements 3

Gaz9

Hi,

We are trying to solve an issue with Premiere Elements 3 for a customer.

Yes, I know it a very old version, but it is just a home user & it has been working fine for him.  He last used it several months ago with the same hardware & all worked fine.

Now when he goes to use it again it basically freezes up.  If you turn the camera on it pops up asking the application to use.  If you select Premiere Elements it opens up the window with "capture device offline" & doesn't seem to respond to any mouse clicks.   If you go to task manager & end the task (often get a message Premiere is not responding), go into Windows Movie Maker this works fine - you can even control the camera (start, stop, etc).

If you start Premiere with the camera turned off you can seem to navigate around menus, etc no problem (until you turn the camer on & try to capture).

Consequently I assume that the hardware is OK.  Because Premiere Elements worked before I presume that maybe an update or some new application is stopping it from working, but I'm not sure what it is.

Here is a summary of the system specs:

Win XP Home SP2

Premiere Elements V3.0

Sony DCR-HC96  (also tried their old Sony DCR-TRV355E but this gives the same symptoms)

Firewire (onboard Asus P5N-E motherboard)

Any thoughts would be greatly appeciated.

Gary.

Perth, Australia.

• 1. Re: Freeze issue in Premiere Elements 3
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Gary,

The first things to check, when PrE freezes, or crashes are:

Update the OS with all updates and hot-fixes, and not just the Critical Updates

Update the audio and video driver from the mfgr's. Web site to the latest. Do not trust Windows, or any update utility.*

Update to the latest version of Apple's QT Player

Update PrE (I think that there was one - 3.0.1, that provided Vista support, but also some little fixes)

Good luck, and please let us know if these steps fix things.

Hunt

* Even simple OS updates and hot-fixes can render a video, or audio driver instantly obsolete. PrE, and PrPro, need to interface much more with these, than almost any other program, and that is why they need to be updated with great frequency.

• 2. Re: Freeze issue in Premiere Elements 3
            the_wine_snob Level 9

In addition, make sure that there are no real-time anti-virus, or spy-sweeping programs running. These have been "death" to PrE fairly recently.

This ARTICLE might also offer some general tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Freeze issue in Premiere Elements 3
              Gaz9 Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your assistance.

I tried all of the items you mentioned, but it still gives the same result.

Interestingly once it freezes if I go to task manager & End Program (the only way to close it) I can go straight to Windows Movie Maker & it works perfectly - I can even control the play, stop, etc.

Whilst this sort of proves it isn't hardware, I had a spare firewire card so I disabled the onboard card & put in the new card - but the problem is still the same.

The next thing I have tried is to install the trial of Premiere Elements 9 (the customer is happy to buy this if it solves the problem), but the symptoms are basically the same.  With the camera turned off, the software seems to work well & I can go in & out of all the menus.  Once I turn the camera on, the device appears in the pull down list (something like MS DV ...) but none of the buttons (eg play, etc) work & it sort of freezes up & task manager says its not responding.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Gary.

• 4. Re: Freeze issue in Premiere Elements 3
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How much free space is left on your C drive and when did you last clear off your spyware and tmp files and defragment the drive?

You'll need at least 20-30 gigs of free, clean defragmented space to run this program.

Also, if I'm reading your post correctly, it sounds like you're trying to run the program with a camcorder connected to your computer.

This won't work. Because vid capture takes so many resources, having the camcorder turned on and plugged in essentially cripples the program. You need to disconnect the camcorder in order to edit.

• 5. Re: Freeze issue in Premiere Elements 3
                  Gaz9 Level 1

Hi Steve,

There is 197GB free space & I have done a defrag, removed tmp files & checked for spyware.

I only have the camcorder connected to do the capture, but I cannot even start the capture.  I presume there is no other way to do the capture without the camera connected?

The original version 3 has been working for some time on this computer but it was last used for Premiere a few months ago & when they tried to use it now it comes up with the problem.

I appreciate any thoughts,

Gary.

• 6. Re: Freeze issue in Premiere Elements 3

Is Windows seeing your camcorder when it's connected?

Are you able to capture using the free utility WinDV?

http://windv.mourek.cz/

• 7. Re: Freeze issue in Premiere Elements 3
                      Gaz9 Level 1

Hi Steve,

Yes, Windows can see the camcorder.  When I turn it on it pops up & asks which program to use.

I haven't tried WinDV, but Windows Movie Maker works perfectly - I can even control the play, stop, etc.

I presume this proves it isn't a hardware issue.

Gary.

• 8. Re: Freeze issue in Premiere Elements 3

It's up to you how much you want to fight with this, Gary.

But, for what it's worth, video captured as DV-AVIs by MovieMaker, WinDV, Scenalyzer, Nero or virtually any other PC-based editing app work fine in Premiere Elements.