3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2011 2:23 PM by the_wine_snob

Creating Time Lapse Video from set of pictures

dorich24 Level 1

Is there a way to set the duration of all pictures when creating a video from a set of pictures?

I can see that you can select individual pictures, use the "time stretch" and reduce the duration of the picture.

However, if I select all the pictures, in the timeline, and try the same thing the value in the "time stretch" menu is grayed out/ not editable.

Also are there any good tutorials published on creating a time lapse video from a set of pictures.

It appears to me that the help function only deals with the built in tools and they are focused on capture of pictures for time lapse video.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Creating Time Lapse Video from set of pictures
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Depending on what I want to do with either Time Lapse, or Stop Motion, I set the desired Duration in Edit>Preferences, before Import. There is no easy way to adjust the Duration, after Import, other than click-drag on the Head, or Tail, and probably with the Info Panel open.

For most Stop Motion, I like a 3 Frame Duration, though that does differ by the subject matter, and the "look" that I want.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

PS - don't forget to reset the Edit>Preferences>General>Still Duration back, or you will be surprised, when you do, say a Title.

• 2. Re: Creating Time Lapse Video from set of pictures
            dorich24 Level 1

@ Bill Hunt

Hi Bill:

Thanks for your response.

It turned out that the problem with setting all the durations in one action was caused by the fact that I had different durations on a couple of pictures. Once I reset all pictures to the same duration I found I could do the following:

• Select all pictures in the timeline.
            • Right click on one picture in the timeline and select time stretch.
            • I then set the last two digits to 03.
            • All pictures then shrunk on the timeline and I was able to create the effect I was looking for.

After note:

1. It seemed that the 03 was a little harsh and so I changed to 05 and the flow of the pictures seemed more graceful. However, I suspect this might be 2011-02-14ermined by the number of pictures you are processing. In my case is was only a couple of hundred.
            2. This was for a time lapse - sun setting on Half Dome at Yosemite.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Creating Time Lapse Video from set of pictures
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news, and thank you for reporting your steps, and your success.

Good luck,

Hunt