6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2011 7:13 AM by the_wine_snob

Premier Elements 8 Scratch disk

jamieriddoch

hi there guys...

bit of noobie to elements 8 but used premier for a few years

i recently tried opening the software and got a message saying " scartch disks are write protected or unavailble, continue yes or no" so if you continue and try editing or uploading the software crashes if you click no nothing happens.

ive read a few things on here and other forums and tried a few ideas, such as manually setting the scratch disks to a different location, checking administrator rights and even installing the sopftware on a different local hard drive to no success.

does any one here have any ideas or suggestions to try out.

would be much appreciated, thanks guys

Jamie

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 8 Scratch disk
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You'll need to tell us a bit more about your system and configuration, Jamie.

Do you have more than one hard drive? If so, is your second hard drive formatted NTFS or FAT32? How much space is on that hard drive?

Have you ensured that you have at least 20-30 gigs of free, freshly defragmented space on your C drive? Have you run Spybot S&D to remove your spyware and EasyCleaner to clear off your temp and other junk files?

What operating system are you using? How much RAM do you have and how fast is your processor?

Have you been able to start any projects at all? If so, which drive are they saved to?

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 8 Scratch disk
            jamieriddoch Level 1

Thanks for a quick reply. im running XP professional with service pack 3

with 2 GB of ram

i have 2 NTFS hard drives one that is 69GB with 5 GB of space and the other which currently has premier installed on has 465GB free i have Spybot S+D and use it weekly but i have never heard of easycleaner, which i will download now and run it.

also the processor speed is 2401 Mhz

the computer running premier isnt very good but ive never had a problem with it other than running slow at times

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 8 Scratch disk

You can't install Premiere Elements on any drive except the C, Jamie. So that could be part of your problem.

But 5 gigs of free space on your C drive isn't nearly enough for the program to run on! As I've said, you'll need at least 20-30 gigs of free, defragged space on your C.

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 8 Scratch disk
                jamieriddoch Level 1

i apologise its not a sepreate hard drive its one that has been partioned into 2 hard drives and given a different name which is E:

i know what you mean about there not being enough space and i will try and clear up alot of this but its never caused the issue before, but i suppose the spare space as small as it was has slowly got even smaller over time untill now it being to small for premiere to work

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 8 Scratch disk

You also should not partition your hard drives. It's an obsolete technique that actually works AGAINST intensive projects like video editing.

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 8 Scratch disk
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Take a look at this ARTICLE on the I/O sub-system, and how to set it up for video editing.

Then, look at this ARTICLE on Partitions, with a video editing computer.

Good luck,

Hunt