3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2011 11:07 PM by Dirk MMB

Update PDF Export Preset list when updated outside of InDesign

Dirk MMB

Hello,

For our application we would like to be able to update the list of PDF Export Presets by adding .joboptions files on the filesystem. We need to be able to select such a previously added joboptions file when executing our script that exports a PDF File. The problem is, however that changes to the .joboptions directory in disk are not recognized by InDesign immediately. Navigating to the File > Adobe PDF Presets menu item will update the list right away, but we found no way to update the internal list of PDF Export Presets programatically. Is there a way to update the list programatically from a script or alternatively is there a way to "import" a joboption files from script? (if nothing else works then suggestions for a dirty hack are also welcome)

Thanks in advance,

Dirk

• 1. Re: Update PDF Export Preset list when updated outside of InDesign
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Modifications to app.pdfExportPresets will create new items in the filesystem.

For instance, this code of ours goes to some extremes to make sure to clean up the .joboptions file that gets inadvertantly created:

var pdfPreset;

pdfPreset = findLastItemRegexp(/^Mass Web /, app.pdfExportPresets); // private function
               if (spreads) {
                 // Sadly, this actually creates a file in the filesystem, so we
                 // need to be quite careful and not willy-nilly duplicate pdf
                 // presets, etc.
                 spreadPdfPreset = pdfPreset.duplicate();
                 try {
                      spreadPdfPreset.exportReaderSpreads = true;
                      spreadPdfPreset.name = pdfPreset.name + " SPREADS";
                      doPdfExport(spreadPdfPreset);
                 } catch (e0) {
                      alert("Caught "+e0.message+
                      "while exporting PDF as spreads.");
                 } finally {
                      spreadPdfPreset.remove();
                 }
                } else {
                  doPdfExport(pdfPreset);
                }

Hopefully that's sufficient to get you going?

I guess it's not exactly what you want -- you want to import the JobOptions file externally, rather than construct it within your script -- hopefully this will help though.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Update PDF Export Preset list when updated outside of InDesign
            Dirk MMB Level 1

Thanks for your answer. Indeed this was not exactly what I was looking for but this might come in useful someday too.

I think I found a solution to my problem... Setting the "Using" parameter of the Export method to the string name of the .joboptions file on disk instead of a look-upped Export Preset object seems to work, even if the PDF Export Presets collection in InDesign hasn't been synced to include the new item.

• 3. Re: Update PDF Export Preset list when updated outside of InDesign
              Dirk MMB Level 1

Answered for now thus closed