8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2011 9:10 AM by Colin Brougham

Change mono .mov file to stereo (Canon 5D Mark II).

Gregory Seattle Level 1

I recorded a bunch of movie files with my 5D mark II. These all have a good right channel but an empty left channel (mono mic setup) so I only hear audio out of one side.

What I need is to fix up these video files so that I can deliver them to a person editing so he can drop them on top of the files he has already(since editing is pretty much done). So, I can't just extract the audio and give that to him as separate WAV files or something, I need to insert the audio back into the MOV files. Some clips will have some hiss removal done as well.

I know Premier OK, but am really new to Soundbooth and Audition and can't figure out how to make it work. I did manage to get Audition to make a .mov file, but it downsampled from 1080p to 720p in doing so (and took forever).

Any ideas from anyone? Is there a FAQ or how-to I am missing?

Thanks for any ideas or pointers,

--greg.

• 1. Re: Change mono .mov file to stereo (Canon 5D Mark II).
          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

No need to leave PrPro...

Select your file(s) in your bin, click on the Clip menu at the top, then click Modify, then Audio Channels. You'll have the option to change your clip from mono to stereo if you'd like, or whatever else you want to do with it...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Change mono .mov file to stereo (Canon 5D Mark II).
            davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Oh, and then use the Audio Mixer within premiere to add EITHER a hiss removal to your audio track, or use a parametric eq and find the frequency of your hiss... I'd use the eq myself. To find those plugins, click on the twirly to the left of your Audio 1 track and then you'll have the option to insert plugins in each audio track...

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Change mono .mov file to stereo (Canon 5D Mark II).
              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

And if you find that the hiss removal from PrPro isn't good enough, use Audacity (free program from audacity.sourceforge.net) to do your noise removal/eq work... export a high-quality WAV file (make sure it's 48khz, not 44.1) and then import that track into Premiere... drag that down to the audio tracks below your video and line it up yourself (should be easy if you've not changed any length/frequency settings). Then export in a lossless codec like lagarith or something that your editor wants...

• 4. Re: Change mono .mov file to stereo (Canon 5D Mark II).
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Greg,

Is the other editor using Premiere Pro as well, or something like FCP? Because "fixing" the files in CS5 is not really going to work if the editing is already done, even if you're sticking in CS5. David's suggestion of remapping the audio channels is a good one, but you can't do that with clips that have already been used in a sequence, and it doesn't change anything about the source files--only the way the master clips are interpreted.

If the other editor is using CS5, check out the Audio Fill effects; there is a "Fill Left" and a "Fill Right" version that work with stereo audio. When used on a clip that is in place in a sequence, it copies the audio from one channel to the other, essentially doing what source channel remapping does after-the-fact. You can select all your clips in your sequence that need this remapping, and apply the effect to all of them at once.

Again, this will only work if you're working solely in CS5. If I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to achieve, please advise...

• 5. Re: Change mono .mov file to stereo (Canon 5D Mark II).
                  davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Ah, I forgot about the fill left/fill right... Good point. And good points about those not working if editing in a different program...

• 6. Re: Change mono .mov file to stereo (Canon 5D Mark II).
                    Gregory Seattle Level 1
                    "Select your file(s) in your bin, click on the Clip menu at the top, then click Modify, then Audio Channels. You'll have the option to change your clip from mono to stereo if you'd like, or whatever else you want to do with it..."

So, to convert all of my mono .mov files to stereo .mov files (so I can deliver a package of .mov files) I should load each one into PPro, remove hiss, remove left channel, convert to stereo, render to .mov again and repeat? I guess that would work. I am hoping the render doesn't take forever, and I guess it shouldn't since there are no video filters, edits or other effects happening.  I will give that a shot.

• 7. Re: Change mono .mov file to stereo (Canon 5D Mark II).
                      Gregory Seattle Level 1
                      "Is the other editor using Premiere Pro as well, or something like FCP? Because "fixing" the files in CS5 is not really going to work if the editing is already done, even if you're sticking in CS5. David's suggestion of remapping the audio channels is a good one, but you can't do that with clips that have already been used in a sequence, and it doesn't change anything about the source files--only the way the master clips are interpreted."

Well, I am just helping out someone working in iMovie. :-) They have edited there movie from about 15-20 5D Mark II videos that have the audio problems I mentioned. The plan is to just replace the .mov files in their iMovie project with the new one with good audio. Hopefully iMovie just references these original .mov files. I don't think it does anything fancier then that, but I am not sure.

Myself, I have the full CS5 production premium suite. If I was doing the editing it would not be a problem at all, but I am just trying to help out this other person by cleaning up their original files for them.

Good point about it possibly not working though, I should try one file first and just see if dropping the new video over the top of the old one would work at all.

Thanks everyone for the help so far, and I will follow up and let you all know how it goes. :-)

[Note, I have also tried, some time ago, to import the iMovie project into PPro, via the 'export Final Cut XML' iMovie feature, but that seems to be a known bug right now. Well, the latest iMovie outputs a different format of the Final Cut XML it seems]

• 8. Re: Change mono .mov file to stereo (Canon 5D Mark II).
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, I am just helping out someone working in iMovie. :-) They have edited there movie from about 15-20 5D Mark II videos that have the audio problems I mentioned. The plan is to just replace the .mov files in their iMovie project with the new one with good audio. Hopefully iMovie just references these original .mov files. I don't think it does anything fancier then that, but I am not sure.

Got it. Well, you could export the "fixed" audio, and then mux that back into the QuickTimes using QuickTime Pro. You can replace the original audio track, and save out a new version of the MOV without recompressing the video. Take the old ones offline, and relink to the new ones. Done.

[Note, I have also tried, some time ago, to import the iMovie project into PPro, via the 'export Final Cut XML' iMovie feature, but that seems to be a known bug right now. Well, the latest iMovie outputs a different format of the Final Cut XML it seems]

You can't go directly to Premiere, unfortunately. The XML needs to be "sanitized" by going into FCP first. I've used that method before, and it worked shockingly well. The steps I used (at least to get the iMovie project into FCP, as I had to deal with an older version of iMovie) are listed here: I'm Not Bruce: How to open iMovie HD projects in Final Cut Pro