4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2011 10:01 AM by Colin Brougham

Correct Time Stamp in Source Monitor  ?

EckleySP Level 1

I am viewing MTS files in the Source Monitor (CS5) and I can't figure out what the 'time' is telling me.  If I open the first file (00000.mts) the beginning time is 13:39:09:10.  I would have thought it would be 0 or something. . .  It's not the time I shot the video (the time is set - correctly - on the camera).

So, what is it?   What I want it to be is zero because in finding a part of a clip, what I have is the minutes/seconds that the part starts into the clip.  In other words, the part I want starts at 11:23 in file 0007.   Because clip 0007 starts at 14:23:53:25 (very odd that it starts on frame 25) I have to do math to figure out where to go in 0007 to find what I want.   It hurts.

So, what is that number trying to tell me?

• 1. Re: Correct Time Stamp in Source Monitor  ?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

what is that number trying to tell me?

13:39:09:10

Hours:Minutes:Seconds:Frames.  It could mean that clip began recording around 1:39 PM.  Or it could mean the timecode hasn't been reset for the past 13+ hours wirth of recording.

You can get to a desired location by clicking the timecode numbers in the lower left of the monitor and hitting the + or - keys and how far you want to advance or go back.  To go one minute ahead, you hit +10000  (1 for the minutes, two zeros for the seconds, and two zeros for the frames.)

• 2. Re: Correct Time Stamp in Source Monitor  ?
            davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Is that an actual timestamp on a 24-clock, or is that a camera where the internal clock was set to free-run not regen? That'd be my guess... I've never heard of timecode built into video that gives you the date/time of the shot... My guess is that the OP's camera was set to free-run or continuous time code, and so even though this may be the first file in his shoot (I noted the file number is all zero's but perhaps the file numbers got reset?) that camera has run 13+ hours without the internal timecode being reset...

• 3. Re: Correct Time Stamp in Source Monitor  ?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

It is Timecode, the Patron Saint of Video Production. Those numbers are absolute references to individual frames in a recorded video. Think of them as "addresses" to a particular frames. Most people actually want timecode

What it sounds like is you are looking for relative references to the beginning of a clip, e.g. 1 minutes 20 seconds in. Is this correct? If so, you can pretty quickly figure out the in and out point in your timecoded clip based on your relative references.

If you use the numeric keypad, you can press the "+" or "-" to move to a relative time. Let's say you want to start at 1 minute, 20 seconds into a clip. Load the clip into the Source Monitor, make sure the CTI is parked on the first frame, and type (without quote) "+1.20.0". You're telling Premiere to advance (that's the plus sign) 1 minute, 20 seconds, and 0 frames. When you hit Enter, the CTI will jump ahead that duration. Mark your in point, and repeat for the out point. If you know how long the duration of the selection is to be, you can just do that, e.g. 30 second or "+30.0", or you can return to the first frame and type in the relative time of the out point based on your notes.

Does that help?

• 4. Re: Correct Time Stamp in Source Monitor  ?
                davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Nice tip, Colin! New one for me, and I'll certainly be able to use it...