4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2011 8:08 AM by Peter Grainge

Header information in Master Page is lost when importing Topic into New Project

SETISheryl

Hello.

I've encountered a problem with imported topics losing the header and footer information that is in the Master Page with which it is associated.

The master page in the new project was imported from the same original project as the topics, prior to importing them.

If I create a new topic associated with that Master page in the new project, it shows the header and footer information fine.

Am I incorrect in thinking that the imported topic should still reflect the header and footer info in the master page?

• 1. Re: Header information in Master Page is lost when importing Topic into New Project
          M_Jha

Hi,

When a Topic attached with Master Page is imported into RH, it brings the Master Page too into the project and hence the link is maintained for the topic and you see the header/footer in the topic too.

If the Master Page is present in the project due to some earlier import of such a topic or the Master Page itself, the link breaks for the newly imported topic associated with the Master Page and hence you are not able to see the header/footer in the topic.

You may verify whether the imported topic is associated with Master Page or not through Topic Properties dialog Master Page field, where most probably None is selected in this case.

The resolution for this issue is to re-associate all these imported topics at once after import to the same Master Page and you will start seeing the Header/Footer in the Topic too.

This can be done by going to Topic-List Pod. Select all Topics that have been imported through Ctrl or Shift key pressed. Right click and click Properties. Select the Master page that was associated with them in the earlier Project and click OK.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Header information in Master Page is lost when importing Topic into New Project
            SETISheryl Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I agree that it is possible to re-apply the Master Page selection to the topics after they have been imported into a new project, but I believe that a topic should not lose the link to its Master Page during import because (in my mind) that defeats the purpose of importing a topic rather than simply re-creating it.

I was hoping that this was a bug in the application instead of a misunderstanding of the feature.

• 3. Re: Header information in Master Page is lost when importing Topic into New Project
              Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Isn't there a danger in allowing the imported topic to automatically link to the master page of the same name in the new project. It might have the same name but be very different. By losing the link it forces you to associate a master page which might be the one in the new project or it might be you need to bring in the other master page giving it a different name.

I'm suggesting the "bug" is more about RoboHelp not warning you that the link would be broken because a master page with the same name already exists. Maybe then it could give you the option to rename the master page being imported or to apply the existing master page.

If you agree, then you might like to request a feature request. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 4. Re: Header information in Master Page is lost when importing Topic into New Project
                SETISheryl Level 1

I absolutely do agree, Peter. Robohelp asks if I want to overwrite the CSS or other files when I'm about to import a topic, so I don't know why the same does not apply to the Master Page.

I'll put in a feature request as you suggested.