13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2007 2:47 AM by dingsword

Should I buy Fireworks?

Louie Sherwin Level 1
      Hi,

I have already decided to buy Dreamweaver to mange my new website for my personal photography. I have used Dreamweaver at work and find it very useful. I also have Photoshop which I intend to upgrade to CS3. If I just get those two my decision is pretty simple.

However, as soon as you start to consider any additional applications then the price quickly gets up to the point where one of the CS packages makes sense. The next application that seems to make the most sense for me would be Fireworks. But I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what it does and if it makes sense for me. I have browsed the Adobe site and have watched a bunch of the videos on Fireworks but they all seem to assume that you already know how to use the program and are all describing the new features in CS3.

My understanding at this point is that Fireworks is a graphics layout program that allows you to create and edit html "pages" using a wysiwyg layout editor. These pages then need to be exported and integrated into your web site with something like Dreamweaver. I also gather that the workspaces for DW an FW are still seperate but are now much more integrated with CS3.

So my questions to the members of the forum are: Is my understanding correct and if so does FW provide additional ease of use for creating and maintaining a web site over what you can do DW by itself?

tks, louie
        • 1. Re: Should I buy Fireworks?
          Level 7
          This article by Stephane might help you make a decision:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/why_fireworks.html

alex

Louie Sherwin wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I have already decided to buy Dreamweaver to mange my new website for my
          > personal photography. I have used Dreamweaver at work and find it very useful.
          > I also have Photoshop which I intend to upgrade to CS3. If I just get those two
          > my decision is pretty simple.
          >
          > However, as soon as you start to consider any additional applications then the
          > price quickly gets up to the point where one of the CS packages makes sense.
          > The next application that seems to make the most sense for me would be
          > Fireworks. But I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what it does and if
          > it makes sense for me. I have browsed the Adobe site and have watched a bunch
          > of the videos on Fireworks but they all seem to assume that you already know
          > how to use the program and are all describing the new features in CS3.
          >
          > My understanding at this point is that Fireworks is a graphics layout program
          > that allows you to create and edit html "pages" using a wysiwyg layout editor.
          > These pages then need to be exported and integrated into your web site with
          > something like Dreamweaver. I also gather that the workspaces for DW an FW are
          > still seperate but are now much more integrated with CS3.
          >
          > So my questions to the members of the forum are: Is my understanding correct
          > and if so does FW provide additional ease of use for creating and maintaining a
          > web site over what you can do DW by itself?
          >
          > tks, louie
          >
          • 2. Re: Should I buy Fireworks?
            Level 7
            Louie Sherwin wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I have already decided to buy Dreamweaver to mange my new website for my
            > personal photography. I have used Dreamweaver at work and find it very useful.
            > I also have Photoshop which I intend to upgrade to CS3. If I just get those two
            > my decision is pretty simple.
            >
            > However, as soon as you start to consider any additional applications then the
            > price quickly gets up to the point where one of the CS packages makes sense.
            > The next application that seems to make the most sense for me would be
            > Fireworks. But I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what it does and if
            > it makes sense for me. I have browsed the Adobe site and have watched a bunch
            > of the videos on Fireworks but they all seem to assume that you already know
            > how to use the program and are all describing the new features in CS3.
            >
            > My understanding at this point is that Fireworks is a graphics layout program
            > that allows you to create and edit html "pages" using a wysiwyg layout editor.
            > These pages then need to be exported and integrated into your web site with
            > something like Dreamweaver. I also gather that the workspaces for DW an FW are
            > still seperate but are now much more integrated with CS3.
            >
            > So my questions to the members of the forum are: Is my understanding correct
            > and if so does FW provide additional ease of use for creating and maintaining a
            > web site over what you can do DW by itself?
            >
            > tks, louie
            >
            Hey Louie:

Fireworks is a hybrid imaging program designed to work with images for
            on screen display, the primary focus being the web. By hybrid, I mean
            that its roots are in the vector world, but it handles bitmaps easily as
            well. It's original goals were that everything remains editable and in
            many cases the range of bitmap and vector tools in the app allow you to
            say in one program to do all your work, rather than having to jump from
            PS to AI for example.

It is not the workhorse that PS is when it comes to working with high
            resolution images or heavily detailed retouching, but it does an
            excellent is an excellent program for both designing the look of your
            web site and for working on images for the web. It also handles vector
            elements much better than PS does, so you get a very flexible creative
            environment in which to work.

Feel free to check out the free articles and tutorials I (and others)
            have on Community MX to learn more, or post back here and ask more
            questions.

Stephane Bergeron also has an excellent article about Fireworks at this
            link:

http://www.pixelyzed.com/pixelforge/whychoosefireworks/

--
            Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
            Extending Knowledge, Daily
            http://www.communityMX.com/
            CommunityMX - Free Resources:
            http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
            ---
            .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
            news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
            news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
            • 3. Re: Should I buy Fireworks?
              Louie Sherwin Level 1
              Alex, Jim,

Thanks for the quick responses. This is exactly the kind of information that I was trying to find.

-louie
              • 4. Re: Should I buy Fireworks?
                Level 1
                Louie,

Quick clarification as need, when you say Fireworks is a graphic application. Actually it is intended for web image and "very, very basic simple" web graphic editing app. Fw CS3 is ideally designed for web use.

If you are looking at "print-related materials", consider Illustrator CS3, or InDesign CS3, or even Photoshop CS3, and there is a big difference around printed materials and web materials. I am not going into further details here about the difference among these apps.

Hopefully that help to clear up a bit, no?

Cheers,
                Brian

Say, have you consider to try out Fireworks CS3 to see if that works nicely for you? Please note that you need to read the instructions on how to install, and uninstall applications, especially with CS3. As noted, I see that some participants at times did not read the instructions and chime in and complain about the problem arise. Simply because they did NOT read the instructions or follow the instructions properly. I hope my advice helps to save your potential trouble or problem.
                • 5. Re: Should I buy Fireworks?
                  Arizona_Nature
                  >Actually it is intended for web image and "very, very basic simple" web graphic editing app.

Maybe Brian hasn't found the power of FW, but for anyone else you can do some very advanced work in FW. Try the 30 day trial and see for yourself.
                  • 6. Should I buy Fireworks?
                    Level 1
                    Immature Arizona Nature, oh please, enough with your crap!

I am rather amused by your comment. You just started to participate forums. You are welcome to participate. But you are completely wrong about me about Fw. I surely know and understand how it works.

I begin to wonder about you, Arizona Nature. By the way, I did make an additional note about try out on Fw, only if you read it very, very carefully.

Enjoy your participation and welcome aboard. Unless you are sure you know how to help others, but if you want to attack, don't do it here!

Good luck! Brian

quote:

Originally posted by: Arizona Nature
                    >Actually it is intended for web image and "very, very basic simple" web graphic editing app.

Maybe Brian hasn't found the power of FW, but for anyone else you can do some very advanced work in FW. Try the 30 day trial and see for yourself.

• 7. Re: Should I buy Fireworks?
                      Arizona_Nature Level 1
                      And your attack on me is warranted how? Because I pointed out your comment was false? You've got issues dude.
                      • 8. Re: Should I buy Fireworks?
                        Louie Sherwin Level 1
                        Brian,

Thanks for the additional information. I have downloaded the Fireworks trial but havn't had a chance to really do anything. I have been side tracked by a problem with Bridge CS3 crashing. Apparently I am not the only one since there are several reports on the Bridge-mac forum...sigh.

Anyway back to topic. I now better understand Fireworks to be able to do both vector and bit mapped graphics handily with a focus on production to the web. However, if I expect it to work like Photoshop or Illustrator I will probably be dissapointed.

Tks, louie
                        • 9. Should I buy Fireworks?
                          Level 1
                          Arizona Nature,

Whatever! I chose not to discuss this further with you. You tried to do both ways and turn the table around. It is NOT going to happen.

Whatever! Have a nice evening! (smile)

quote:

Originally posted by: Arizona Nature
                          And your attack on me is warranted how? Because I pointed out your comment was false? You've got issues dude.

• 10. Re: Should I buy Fireworks?
                            Level 1
                            Hi Louie,

You got that right, Louie, about Fw is intended for web use. It is important that you understand the difference between these applications you had mentioned.

Is there a particular reason why you wanted to "see" Fw works "like" Illustrator or Photoshop. You can still open PSD files in Fw. However, there are some limitation to do so. I like Fw CS3, as well as Ps CS3 Extended and Illustrator CS3 and I usually use them every day or every other day. However I use Ps CS3 everyday for my photograph projects.

Additionally, you also can import Illustrator vector files into Fw CS3. I haven't really get my hands on importing Illustrator native files into Fw CS3 yet. As I understand that you can, though.

Have a wonderful evening and a nice Fourth of July!
                            Cheers, Brian

quote:

Originally posted by: Louie Sherwin
                            Brian,

Thanks for the additional information. I have downloaded the Fireworks trial but havn't had a chance to really do anything. I have been side tracked by a problem with Bridge CS3 crashing. Apparently I am not the only one since there are several reports on the Bridge-mac forum...sigh.

Anyway back to topic. I now better understand Fireworks to be able to do both vector and bit mapped graphics handily with a focus on production to the web. However, if I expect it to work like Photoshop or Illustrator I will probably be dissapointed.

Tks, louie

• 11. Should I buy Fireworks?
                              Level 1
                              Arizona Nature / Deaf Web Designer -

Come on now. You guys are awesome and help out soooo much in the Fw forum and both of you share a passion for Fireworks and the ability to help out others...thats why you are here....not to rattle each others chains.. :)

ps - Louie, you brought up a good point. Personally, I'll start focusing on workflows that have existed in Fireworks before CS3 so new users can have a better understanding of how Fireworks can fit into their arsenal. Also, if you have questions, I host a weekly Fireworks CS3 jam session on Thursday at 11am so anyone can come and ask questions or see a demo of something they didnt understand. This Thursday we can cover Dreamweaver integration, however, if you feel comfortable with Photoshop Id suggest opening Help in Dreamweaver and look over the Photoshop integration portion to learn more about it too.
                              • 12. Re: Should I buy Fireworks?
                                Arizona_Nature Level 1
                                Alan, it was my first post. This is my last.
                                • 13. Should I buy Fireworks?
                                  dingsword
                                  i love fireworks,it makes work easier and faster