7 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2011 10:50 AM by acrowe1

Panini - Mysterious errors causing publishing to fail

bentlman

So myself and another student have been using Catalyst (originally CS5, now Panini) to build and maintain a website for our design studio, which we've been working on since the fall. We just recently "upgraded" to Panini (ie rebuilt the file into the new program to take advantage of new features) and it's been working wonderfully up until a couple days ago. (You can see what we have so far at www.kcrightofway.com) We now have the issue that, after a couple of hours of progress on a file, when we try to publish it for deployment to the server it will give an error at the end of the process that states it cannot publish the project because of an error in the code. So we switch over to the Code Workspace as it says to, but there's generally no error shown, with only the first row of code highlighted, which states:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

A couple of times it has shown problems labeled as 'Unknown Error' or 'Flex Error', which would usually be pointing at the next section of code:

<s:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"

xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"

xmlns:d="http://ns.adobe.com/fxg/2008/dt"

xmlns:fc="http://ns.adobe.com/flashcatalyst/2009"

xmlns:ATE="http://ns.adobe.com/ate/2009"

xmlns:ai="http://ns.adobe.com/ai/2009"

xmlns:flm="http://ns.adobe.com/flame/2008"

xmlns:lib="assets.graphics.HOME_TEMPLATE.*"

xmlns:components="components.*"

width="100%" height="100%" backgroundColor="#FFFFFF" preloaderChromeColor="#FFFFFF"

fc:previewHeight="700" fc:previewWidth="1050">

Now I know next to nothing about code, but it seems like the pieces of code that its highlighting are beyond our control, pieces defined by the program itself. And as we have been unable to resolve this issue ourselves, we've resorted to creating iterative backup files every hour or so, so that if we do have to redo any work, its fairly minimal. This has become necessary, as having these mysterious errors tends to make working on a file seem somewhat pointless. But the worst part is that when we get an error like this and then try to go back to a previous save file, it will now have the same error, as if the problem has become contagious. It would almost seem like something in the publishing process changes a setting within the program itself, otherwise how would it suddenly affect the older files. This is incredibly frustrating for us, as we can't even begin to understand why that would ever happen, and then it pushes our progress back even further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as we're completely clueless on any way to resolve this issue.

Ben

• 1. Re: Panini - Mysterious errors causing publishing to fail
          bentlman Level 1

I realized that having a file to look at would probably help:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DOAKPTPK

Thanks,

Ben

• 2. Re: Panini - Mysterious errors causing publishing to fail
            Bear Travis Adobe Employee

Hi Ben,

The reason you're having trouble is that the project takes up too much memory to compile. This is probably due to the large number of images in your project, and that they are all embedded. You can make some tweaks to allow the compiler to use more memory, but I would highly advise that you compress your images, and convert all large images to be linked rather than embedded.

To allow the compiler to use more memory

1. Go to the install folder for Flash Catalyst (on my Mac, /Disk/Applications/Adobe Flash Catalyst Panini)
            2. Open the sdks folder, then the folder it contains, then the bin folder
            3. You should now be someplace like /Disk/Applications/Adobe Flash Catalyst Panini/sdks/[sdk version]/bin
            4. Open jvm.config in a text editor and replace the line
              java.args=-Xmx384m -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false
              with
              java.args=-Xmx1024m -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false
            5. Save the file, restart Catalyst, and reopen your file

How did you create this project? Did you import an AI or PS comp and then convert it to components? Did you import all of your work as image files and then create everything in Catalyst?

-Bear

• 3. Re: Panini - Mysterious errors causing publishing to fail
              bentlman Level 1

Hi Bear,

We had wondered about that, but since we had already gone through the 'Java Heap Space' error, I guess we thought we were out of the woods as far as memory limitations were concerned. But now that I think about it, that makes a lot of sense since general memory usage is a separate issue. We were actually in the middle of linking the large images when this began happening, I guess that error message was quite a nasty distraction.

We built the home page's framework as one AI document and imported it in the beginning, then built most of the other components within the program as we needed them, duplicating them from templates to retain their interactions. The article pages were each imported from illustrator for the sake of formatting, but on second thought that might not have been the most memory-efficient method, we might need to rethink that.

We'll try your method and let you know what happens, thank you so much for the help!

Ben

• 4. Re: Panini - Mysterious errors causing publishing to fail
                bentlman Level 1

It looks like that did the trick, it's able to compile the project again! Thanks so much for your help!

Ben

• 5. Re: Panini - Mysterious errors causing publishing to fail
                  Bear Travis Adobe Employee

Hi Ben,

That's great to hear! I would just suggest moving your large images to be linked. When they are embedded, the compiler has to load them and place them in the swf file. If it's possible to cut down on the number of image assets, or compress them, that would help as well.

Do you mind if I share your project with the Catalyst team to further diagnose the problem?

-Bear

• 6. Re: Panini - Mysterious errors causing publishing to fail
                    bentlman Level 1

Of course you can, feel free to use it for whatever you need. I hope your team can find some use for it!

Thanks again for all of the help!

Ben

• 7. Re: Panini - Mysterious errors causing publishing to fail
                      acrowe1

I have also received this error, but my project is very simple. I imported the design from AI using only 5 vector boxes (with simple 2-color gradient), and Arial text. I did use a proprietary font, but I outlined the font for the five titles (just 5-10 words). I also went in and edited the jvm.config file (line: java.args=-Xmx1024m -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false) as directed.

What I'm saying is that this "unable to publish due to an error in the code" in my case does not have to do with the size of the file in my case. This is project is a very simple mini-site. I only have 6 states, 5 arrow buttons and correllating text for each button.

I was hoping Flash Catalyst would help me create quick mini-sites, but I'm having more problems than it seems to be worth.