8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 2:04 PM by SabelV

Ecard suggested stage size?

SabelV

I'm trying to make ecards and I'm new to Flash so please bear with me. Does anybody have a suggested size for the stage? Which in my case is really the card viewing size.

I have one that's almost done and the stage size is 700x800 px. But I'm starting to worry if that's going to look too small? To change it, will be a lot of work - there's animation, imported Jpegs etc. As far as I can tell, in order for it to look correct in larger dimensions I will need to basically create it again from the ground up. So, I'd really like to get an idea of what the optimal pixel dimensions would be for ecards to run on multiple platforms.

Any thoughts, anyone? Please help. I really want to do this and I don't feel like I can move ahead until I get the viewing size correct. I don't even mind redoing the card. I just want my future cards to be the correct size. I don't want to have to come back and redo them all.

By the way, the cards are being made in Flash. The site itself will be created in DreamWeaver.

Thanks so much,

Sarah

• 1. Re: Ecard suggested stage size?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should probably research the ecard providers that exist and see what they deliver.  Send yourself a good sampling.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Ecard suggested stage size?
            SabelV Level 1

Thanks Ned. I'm sorry, I probably didn't explain correctly. Since ecards are usually accessed via a link, they're usually viewed online through a website. They aren't usually sent embedded in emails or sent as separate files. I've seen lots of ecards, but I don't know how to tell what dimensions were specified in Flash when the card was created, just by looking at the card. I know what they look like on my system, but since systems and browsers vary I don't know how to determine the true pixel height X width ratio specified when the card was created. I'm sorry, I know this might sound like a very basic question and it probably is but I really don't know how to tell. Physically measuring the card as seen on my monitor won't work due to the reasons I stated above. If you have any ideas that would be great! Thanks Sarah

I guess I could make a sample for viewing purposes - by making the whole stage a filled rectangle, publishing as a .swf,  and then compare what that looks like on my monitor with other ecards to get an idea. But I have a feeling there's a better way to go.

• 3. Re: Ecard suggested stage size?

Any file you view in a web page will have source code where you can see the dimensions specified.  Just right click the web page anywhere off of the Flash content and select the "View Source" option (or similar wording).

• 4. Re: Ecard suggested stage size?
                SabelV Level 1

Sorry Ned, I've never done this. I took a look at the code and I couldn't find any reference to the dimensions of the movie. The closest thing I could find was this -

<object class="fla-replace" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://ak.jacquielawson.com/product/cardswf/3277201.swf?cont=1&hdn=0&hdr=Happy Valentine's Day!&pv=3277201&code=" wmode="transparent" width="100%" height="100%" bgcolor="#A87077" allowscriptaccess="always">

I'm probably looking at the wrong thing. When the code comes up, how do I know which part of it refers to the ecard dimensions and not the rest of the web page? Most of it's pretty intuitive but I'm not familiar with code and this part is the only thing that seemed to address the dimensions of the card itself. 

Sarah

• 5. Re: Ecard suggested stage size?

I believe in that case the Flash content is being sized to the dimensions of the window.... width="100%" height="100%".

• 6. Re: Ecard suggested stage size?
                    SabelV Level 1

I understand, but how do I find out the dimensions of the window? I've looked at the code and I don't see it specified.

Thanks again,

Sarah

• 7. Re: Ecard suggested stage size?

In that case you could take a screen shot, crop the area of interest, and the dimensions should be shown somewhere in whatever software you are using.  But in those cases, the size of the design is less relevant because the files are designed to be scalable, meaning they probably use vector graphics and don't use bitmap images that might lose quality when resized.  If you could get away without using bitmaps, then you too could do things in this manner... letting the user's screen/window determine the size of what they see.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Ecard suggested stage size?
                        SabelV Level 1

Yes! Thank you Ned!!! :)

!