3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2007 9:15 AM by RoboColum(n)

Importing PDFs to RoboHelp

embracemediocrity
      I am trying to import a PDF document that has a bunch of complicated formatting (i.e., tables, etc.) but it seems that the only option for doing this without losing the formatting is to choose to create a new topic for each page of the PDF. I basically need to break my Help file down into several different sections, but now that each page is a new topic, I don't know how to combine topics.
        • 1. Re: Importing PDFs to RoboHelp
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Hi embracemediocrity and welcome to the RH community. Could you try using the "Create single topic" option but with a specified page range. You may not get exactly what you want but it would be far easier to remove unwanted content. You just repeat the exercise for the required pages for all the topics you require.
          • 2. Re: Importing PDFs to RoboHelp
            embracemediocrity Level 1
            Thanks for the advice, McAndrew. Unfortunately, I've got about 400 topics. :) I'm starting to think that maybe Robohelp isn't the best platform for what I need to do... Basically, I need to have searchable specifications -- and there's a lot of individual specs.
            • 3. Re: Importing PDFs to RoboHelp
              RoboColum(n) Level 5
              That maybe a choice you have to make but as Acrobat and RoboHelp are both Adobe products now I doubt whether other applications would sit as well. Version 6 of RoboHelp offered improvement on PDF integration precisely because both applications were now in the same stable and you can bet there will be improvements in this and other Adobe product integration in the future. Have you thought about converting the PDF to a Word file and then importing this. It may prove less painful.