8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 7:00 PM by bluedolphin0502

How to change clip volume in Premiere Elements 9

bluedolphin0502 Level 1

Hello.

I am sure the answer to this question is obvious, but I seriously can't figure it out!

I have been using PE3 for a number of years and so am having some adjustment issues moving to PE9.

In PE3, on the right-hand-side of the screen, I used to be able to quickly click on 'volume' and adjust the volume of the entire clip by simply highlighting the figure '0.0' and putting in my own number. I use this feature a lot, so I really need to be able to do a similar thing in PE9. I do of course realise that I can do it by clicking and dragging on the yellow volume line in the clip, but I do find that very fiddly and precise, and would much prefer a similar method to that I used in PE3.

Thanking you, in anticipation of your help,

Rach

P.S. On a completely unrelated issue, I have made what I believe to be an interesting discovery. Whenever I try to open Microsoft Outlook at, or around, the same time as I'm opening PE9, PE9 will not open or operate correctly. The same thing used to happen with PE3. The only way I've found to get around this is to shut the whole computer down and start again (making sure I wait til PE9 is completely open before opening my Mail folder).  Does anyone know what this clash is about?

• 1. Re: How to change clip volume in Premiere Elements 9
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For the Volume adjustment, there are two really easy ways (at least by my preferences):

Click on the Clip, and choose Effects Tab, then Edit Effects. This will open up the Effects Control Panel, and there you will see Volume for all Clips with Audio, whether just Audio Clips, or Muxed AV files. You can adjust the Volume there, and can Keyframe that over time. These are Clip Keyframes, and will follow those Clips.

The other method is to use the Window>Audio Mixer to apply Volume adjustments. One can Keyframe these too, over time, by playing and adjusting the sliders. These are Track Keyframes, and are NOT attached to the Clip(s).

One can also Alt-click on a Muxed Clip's Audio portion, then Rt-click on it, and choosing Audio Gain. This is a less desireable method, in my estimation.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - one can also click-drag on the orange "rubberband" in the Audio Clip. One can Keyframe there, but I find that to be kludgy, and is not as accurate as the above methods. Still, some like working with the rubberbands - I just do not.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to change clip volume in Premiere Elements 9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As for Outlook, well it's a real resource hog, and especially if you have not done a lot of archiving and have a lot of e-mails in it. PrE is also a resource hog, so they do not function at the same time, on most computers. Even on my hot-rod laptop, I refrain from having both of those programs open at the same time. Same for my PrPro and Outlook.

Reboting frees up your computer's resources. You might find some of the tips in this ARTICLE useful for setting up an editing session.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to change clip volume in Premiere Elements 9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As this was the third Audio Volume question today, one here, and two in PrPro Forum, I just put things together in a Tips & Tricks ARTICLE.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How to change clip volume in Premiere Elements 9
                bluedolphin0502 Level 1

Hi Hunt:

Thanks so much for all your help. I’m only just getting around to trying this. The first option you’ve put below is the thing that I’m familiar with from PE3. I want to be able to just type in the required volume, rather than doing the very precise (and painstaking, imho) method of dragging the audio bar down. Is there any way of adding that into my user interface so that I can always adjust clip volume easily?

Sent: Wednesday, 16 February 2011 11:10 AM

To: rachel jewiss

Subject: How to change clip volume in Premiere Elements 9

For the Volume adjustment, there are two really easy ways (at least by my preferences):

Click on the Clip, and choose Effects Tab, then Edit Effects. This will open up the Effects Control Panel, and there you will see Volume for all Clips with Audio, whether just Audio Clips, or Muxed AV files. You can adjust the Volume there, and can Keyframe that over time. These are Clip Keyframes, and will follow those Clips.

The other method is to use the Window>Audio Mixer to apply Volume adjustments. One can Keyframe these too, over time, by playing and adjusting the sliders. These are Track Keyframes, and are NOT attached to the Clip(s).

One can also Alt-click on a Muxed Clip's Audio portion, then Rt-click on it, and choosing Audio Gain. This is a less desireable method, in my estimation.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How to change clip volume in Premiere Elements 9
                  bluedolphin0502 Level 1

Oh, sorry, have just discovered another problem. Is there any way of quickly changing the clip volumes of several clips – e.g. when I just tried to change the clip of 14 clips, it just comes up with ‘multiple items selected’ and won’t allow me to do it.

I’d appreciate help PLEASE!

Sent: Wednesday, 16 February 2011 11:10 AM

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to change clip volume in Premiere Elements 9
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

For adjusting the Volume of multiple Clips on the same Audio Track, I really like the Audio Mixer.

This can be used two ways:

• A one-time, static adjustment can be made to the entire Audio Track
                    • Or, one can dynamically adjust the Volume of the Audio Track over time, by applying Track Keyframes

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: How to change clip volume in Premiere Elements 9
                      bluedolphin0502 Level 1

Would I have to highlight them first? Otherwise wouldn’t my entire project have a lower volume?

I actually don’t know what ‘keyframes’ are, sorry!

Sent: Tuesday, 22 February 2011 7:21 AM

For adjusting the Volume of multiple Clips on the same Audio Track, I really like the Audio Mixer.

This can be used two ways:

• A one-time, static adjustment can be made to the entire Audio Track

• Or, one can dynamically adjust the Volume of the Audio Track over time, by applying Track Keyframes

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How to change clip volume in Premiere Elements 9
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are doing Clip Volume adjustments, then yes, you need to Select the Clip.

For the Audio Mixer, that adds Track Volume Keyframes. There, you do not want to Select any Clip, as you are applying the changes to the Track. You can apply the Track Keyframes automatically statically, that would adjust for the whole Track, or dynamically, which will allow you to raise, or lower the Volume of that Track, as you desire.

I strongly recomend that you first look at the Help Files for Keyframes, and then look at Steve Grisetti's articles on Keyframing in PrE on Muvipix.com, as they are very useful, and so powerful. Once you get the concept down, you will not regret it, due to the power. Keyframes can be applied to so many Effects, from Motion>Scale (to Zoom), Motion>Position (Pan), or to others, like Volume, to adjust aspects over time.

Good luck,

Hunt