13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2006 4:50 AM by MarkG75

OT: Get image out of Word?

Level 7
      Anyone know how to get embedded images out of Word?

Some nice client has sent me a few diagrams embedded in the Word
      document that I need to get over to Quark Xpress.

I can pull them from Word into Photoshop (300dpi) and save as a tiff but
      they print out quite fuzzy in comparison to when printed out directly
      from the Word document itself. They seem to lose clarity in the process.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Os.

• 1. Re: Get image out of Word?
          Level 7
          Hmm, I used to be able to do this sort of thing. If you want to email me
          I'll see if the knowledge is still there, or wait and see if anybody else
          doesn't have to jiggle the memory cells.
          Jo
          joleros at yahoo.com

"Osgood" <notavailable@atthisaddress.com> wrote in message
          news:ebhv7f$oj8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Anyone know how to get embedded images out of Word?
          >
          > Some nice client has sent me a few diagrams embedded in the Word document
          > that I need to get over to Quark Xpress.
          >
          > I can pull them from Word into Photoshop (300dpi) and save as a tiff but
          > they print out quite fuzzy in comparison to when printed out directly from
          > the Word document itself. They seem to lose clarity in the process.
          >
          > Any ideas?
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Os.
          >

• 2. Re: OT: Get image out of Word?
            Level 7
            Try right clicking on the image in Word and choose Edit Picture, then
            select it and copy and paste in to photoshop. It's worked for me in the
            past doing it that way.

Or can you print and rescan them?

Osgood wrote:
            >
            > Some nice client has sent me a few diagrams embedded in the Word
            > document that I need to get over to Quark Xpress.
            >
            > they print out quite fuzzy in comparison to when printed out directly
            > from the Word document itself. They seem to lose clarity in the process.
            >
            > Any ideas?
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Os.
            >
            • 3. Re: Get image out of Word?
              Level 7
              You might try copying and pasting into PowerPoint first, then copy from
              there into Photoshop.

You might also want to set the image size in Word to 100% before copying it,
              sometimes the clipboard downsamples the image into a fixed resolution space
              using the scaled down image's dimensions.

One more thing, have you verifed that these images are raster (Photoshop,
              Photo-Paint, etc.) and not actually vector (Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw,
              Encapsualted PostScript, etc.)? Vector images would be better copied into a
              vector program (no resolution limit).

• 4. Re: Get image out of Word?
                Level 7
                josie1one wrote:

> Hmm, I used to be able to do this sort of thing. If you want to email me
                > I'll see if the knowledge is still there, or wait and see if anybody else
                > doesn't have to jiggle the memory cells.
                > Jo

Thanks Josie,

I'm going to try and get the original tiffs or jpgs from the client if I
                can. They are so simple, but badly produced, that I suggested I re-draw
                them in Illustrator but the client thought that might upset the person
                who originally drew them........that'll be the office spider then :)

• 5. Re: OT: Get image out of Word?
                  Level 7
                  Vix wrote:

> Try right clicking on the image in Word and choose Edit Picture, then
                  > select it and copy and paste in to photoshop. It's worked for me in the
                  > past doing it that way.
                  >
                  > Or can you print and rescan them?

Thanks Vix....I'll experiment over the weekend and try your suggestion.
                  I guess I could re-scan the things but having the orginals would be nicer.

• 6. Re: Get image out of Word?
                    Level 7
                    Mike Z wrote:

> You might try copying and pasting into PowerPoint first, then copy from
                    > there into Photoshop.

Hummmm...not sure I have PowerPoint.....I'm on a Mac.

> You might also want to set the image size in Word to 100% before copying it,
                    > sometimes the clipboard downsamples the image into a fixed resolution space
                    > using the scaled down image's dimensions.

Thats an idea. I'll give that one a go.

> One more thing, have you verifed that these images are raster (Photoshop,
                    > Photo-Paint, etc.) and not actually vector (Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw,
                    > Encapsualted PostScript, etc.)? Vector images would be better copied into a
                    > vector program (no resolution limit).

I have'nt tried copying them to Illustrator yet but I'll have a go. I'm
                    not sure how they were orginally produced. I pretty much expect them to
                    have been saved as a tiff or jpg file and then inserted into Word. I
                    doubt they were created in a vector drawing program.....I wish.

Thanks for your help Mike.

• 7. Re: Get image out of Word?
                      Level 7
                      >that'll be the office spider then :)
                      (o:
                      Good luck - I hope you get decent originals
                      Jo

news:ebi8v8$6n0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > josie1one wrote:
                      >
                      >> Hmm, I used to be able to do this sort of thing. If you want to email me
                      >> I'll see if the knowledge is still there, or wait and see if anybody else
                      >> doesn't have to jiggle the memory cells.
                      >> Jo
                      >
                      > Thanks Josie,
                      >
                      > I'm going to try and get the original tiffs or jpgs from the client if I
                      > can. They are so simple, but badly produced, that I suggested I re-draw
                      > them in Illustrator but the client thought that might upset the person who
                      > originally drew them........that'll be the office spider then :)
                      >

• 8. Re: Get image out of Word?
                        Level 7
                        Screen capture! Then crop etc. .........always works for me.

--
                        Eleanor T. Culling
                        Leavenworth, WA
                        Enjoy my photography at
                        www.eleanorstravels.com
                        news:ebhv7f$oj8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        >
                        > Some nice client has sent me a few diagrams embedded in the Word document
                        > that I need to get over to Quark Xpress.
                        >
                        > they print out quite fuzzy in comparison to when printed out directly from
                        > the Word document itself. They seem to lose clarity in the process.
                        >
                        > Any ideas?
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        >
                        > Os.
                        >

• 9. Re: Get image out of Word?
                          Level 7
                          On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:48:34 +0100, Osgood
                          <notavailable@atthisaddress.com> wrote:

>josie1one wrote:
                          >
                          >> Hmm, I used to be able to do this sort of thing. If you want to email me
                          >> I'll see if the knowledge is still there, or wait and see if anybody else
                          >> doesn't have to jiggle the memory cells.
                          >> Jo
                          >
                          >Thanks Josie,
                          >
                          >I'm going to try and get the original tiffs or jpgs from the client if I
                          >can. They are so simple, but badly produced, that I suggested I re-draw
                          >them in Illustrator but the client thought that might upset the person
                          >who originally drew them........that'll be the office spider then :)

Osgood, as a short cut, have you tried saving the Word file as a web
                          page? That should generate (crappy) HTML and all the images as
                          separate files.

Of course, if the original image is lousy, so will the result be.

Win
                          --
                          Win Day, Wild Rose Websites
                          http://www.wildrosewebsites.com
                          winday@NOSPAMwildrosewebsites.com
                          Skype winifredday
                          • 10. Re: Get image out of Word?
                            Level 7
                            Grab the image and drag and drop it on the desktop?

--
                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                            Adobe Community Expert
                            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                            ==================
                            http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                            http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                            ==================

"Win Day" <winday@NOSPAMwildrosewebsites.com> wrote in message
                            news:9vepd2p1fiite1ll5adtfdotg61vs1r3hr@4ax.com...
                            > On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:48:34 +0100, Osgood
                            > <notavailable@atthisaddress.com> wrote:
                            >
                            >>josie1one wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> Hmm, I used to be able to do this sort of thing. If you want to email me
                            >>> I'll see if the knowledge is still there, or wait and see if anybody
                            >>> else
                            >>> doesn't have to jiggle the memory cells.
                            >>> Jo
                            >>
                            >>Thanks Josie,
                            >>
                            >>I'm going to try and get the original tiffs or jpgs from the client if I
                            >>can. They are so simple, but badly produced, that I suggested I re-draw
                            >>them in Illustrator but the client thought that might upset the person
                            >>who originally drew them........that'll be the office spider then :)
                            >
                            > Osgood, as a short cut, have you tried saving the Word file as a web
                            > page? That should generate (crappy) HTML and all the images as
                            > separate files.
                            >
                            > Of course, if the original image is lousy, so will the result be.
                            >
                            > Win
                            > --
                            > Win Day, Wild Rose Websites
                            > http://www.wildrosewebsites.com
                            > winday@NOSPAMwildrosewebsites.com
                            > Skype winifredday

• 11. Re: Get image out of Word?
                              Level 7
                              Murray *ACE* wrote:
                              > Grab the image and drag and drop it on the desktop?
                              >

If I do that it saves as a 'Picture Clipping' file, whatever that is. It
                              can't be opened in Photoshop and Quark doesn't read the file :(

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Probably going to be easier to just tell the client to supply the files
                              that they used independently of Word. At least I can then tell what the
                              original source file is and make a better judgement on if its any good
                              to use or not for printing purposes.

• 12. Re: Get image out of Word?
                                Level 7
                                Win Day wrote:

> Osgood, as a short cut, have you tried saving the Word file as a web
                                > page? That should generate (crappy) HTML and all the images as
                                > separate files.
                                >
                                > Of course, if the original image is lousy, so will the result be.

Good idea....never thought of that. I don't know anything about Word so
                                I haven't got a clue to be honest what it's capable of.

At least by saving it as a web page I have managed to suck all the
                                images out in one clean sweep.

Weirdly though the one I want, a simple black and white chart has saved
                                with a grey background, instead of the white it shows in the
                                document........hummm.

Never mind. I'm just trying to see if there is a way that I can access
                                these images without worrying the client but it seems it's going to be
                                safer to get the original files and take it from there I think.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• 13. OT: Get image out of Word?
                                  MarkG75
                                  Try saving the word doc as html and see what it out put pics as.

soz. just read someone already mentiond that