8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2011 11:49 AM by PeterB55

Best Hardware to USE with Adobe CS5 Premiere, Encore, After Effects?

Dippy26

Does Anyone have a good System Hardware Spec for use in Editting, Render, Output using Adobe CS5 Programs & Tools?

• 1. Re: Best Hardware to USE with Adobe CS5 Premiere, Encore, After Effects?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Go to the hardware forum and press the overview tab and read. http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum?view=discussions&start=0

Next go to the PPBM5 Benchmark and look at the configurations.

• 2. Re: Best Hardware to USE with Adobe CS5 Premiere, Encore, After Effects?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What kind of video to you plan to edit?

I don't use After Effects, but My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 460 or whatever is the current "best bang for the buck" - AND I would buy 4Gig-by-3Sticks memory to be able to expand from 12Gig to 24Gig if needed

For my home hobbyist, family movies (which means that I am not trying to recreate Star Wars with video effects or many layers) AVCHD editing is "as smooth as spreading warm butter on hot toast" (also the MP4 video from wife's Flip camera)

My 3 hard drives are configured as...
            1 - 320G WD Win7 and all programs
            2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and PPro projects
            3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write

• 3. Re: Best Hardware to USE with Adobe CS5 Premiere, Encore, After Effects?
              PeterB55 Level 1

Harm

I was wondering if I could tap your experience around CS5. I work for the Met Police in London and they get their kit through an outside supplyer which, to be honest, is not up to speed with CS5 and the hardware requirements to run it. I have the opportunity of putting in a requirement (a bid) for funding for a new stand alone (spec below from Dell site). As there is no one using 64Bit technolgy I am having to research the information. There is no way I can do a self-build and have to conform to purchasing standards and protocols through prefered suppliers (who will buy it for us from Dell).

My main questions are, will this spec run and take full advantage of CS5 Production and is there anything missing from my list.

Having read many of your postings I will appreciate your reply and assistance.

PeterB55

Spec1.jpg

• 4. Re: Best Hardware to USE with Adobe CS5 Premiere, Encore, After Effects?
                Scott Chichelli Level 3

complete waste of money for a Xeon

if you are not buying at minimum 2.8GHz 12 core dual Xeon then you can forget the Xeons

buy a SINGLE 980x  it will outperform it..

Scott

ADK

• 5. Re: Best Hardware to USE with Adobe CS5 Premiere, Encore, After Effects?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Peter,

I realize that a number of organizations prefer Dell or HP, because it is so easy and they get corporate discounts, so seemingly it is very attractive.

However, in your specific case, where we are talking about a single system or maybe a very few, Dell and HP are not the most obvious choices. They shove boxes, but don't understand the requirements for NLE rigs.

Basically you have two choices, either build it yourself (which may not be the choice of preference of your IT department) or go to a custom builder. Scott can very likely suggest a couple of adresses in the UK to contact.

From what you told me here, I would have a look at an i7-970/980X/990 CPU, 24 GB DDR3-1600 RAM, X58 mobo, 3 GB Pallit or Gigabyte GTX-570 video card, a 320 GB Samsung F4 boot disk, a dedicated raid controller (Areca or LSI or ATTO) and a number of Samsung F3 1 TB disks configured in a raid3/5/6 with or without hot-spares, depending on the number of disks. I would overclock that system to around 4 GHz.

Penny wise, you can't do any better at this moment, I guess.

• 6. Re: Best Hardware to USE with Adobe CS5 Premiere, Encore, After Effects?
                    Scott Chichelli Level 3

Peter,

as Harm Mentioned  i recommend Scan uk

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/Category.asp?SystemMasterCategoryID=14

i know the guys over there and they do my service for EU clients. (rare but it can happen)

they can actually offer support beyond the computer

Scott

ADK

• 7. Re: Best Hardware to USE with Adobe CS5 Premiere, Encore, After Effects?
                      PeterB55 Level 1

Scott/Harm thank you so much for your advice and the link to Scan UK, I will be contacting them

for a quote, put the business case together and keep my fingers crossed I end up with some future proof kit.

Regards

Peter

• 8. Re: Best Hardware to USE with Adobe CS5 Premiere, Encore, After Effects?
                        PeterB55 Level 1

Harm, again thanks for your assistance and advice. Here is the final spec that Scan UK (can supply/I am allowed to order). As you will appreciate at Public Sector level there are 'procurement' departments who dictate what you can and can't buy (from the point of view of contracted support).

This is, probably, the final list and best I can get them to purchase. BUT, I would appreciate a final look over it by you and if you think there is definitely something that may jam up the works please feel free to let me know. Your knowledge is far more than the company that has the source and support contract.

O/S                   Win 7 Ultimate

Case                 ANTEC P183

Power               750w Corsair HX

Mobo                ASUS Sabertooth

CPU                  i7 970

Heat sink/fan     Akasa Venom

Mem                 3x4GB PC 1600

Card                 Quadro 4000

HDD                  300WD Velociraptor 10K

HDD2      x3       1TB WD RE4 (Raid 5)

Case fan            Akasa Apache Black

External backup  1TB WD My Book USB3

Again many thanks.

Peter

Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 07:19:11 -0700

To: peterbaylis@live.co.uk

Subject: Best Hardware to USE with Adobe CS5 Premiere, Encore, After Effects?

Peter,

I realize that a number of organizations prefer Dell or HP, because it is so easy and they get corporate discounts, so seemingly it is very attractive.

However, in your specific case, where we are talking about a single system or maybe a very few, Dell and HP are not the most obvious choices. They shove boxes, but don't understand the requirements for NLE rigs.

Basically you have two choices, either build it yourself (which may not be the choice of preference of your IT department) or go to a custom builder. Scott can very likely suggest a couple of adresses in the UK to contact.

From what you told me here, I would have a look at an i7-970/980X/990 CPU, 24 GB DDR3-1600 RAM, X58 mobo, 3 GB Pallit or Gigabyte GTX-570 video card, a 320 GB Samsung F4 boot disk, a dedicated raid controller (Areca or LSI or ATTO) and a number of Samsung F3 1 TB disks configured in a raid3/5/6 with or without hot-spares, depending on the number of disks. I would overclock that system to around 4 GHz.

Penny wise, you can't do any better at this moment, I guess.

>