Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shockwave Flash 10.2.152.26 freezes gmail on mac

Feb 15, 2011 Feb 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I've been having this problem for a few days now... Every time I try to open Gmail in Firefox on my Mac I get the evil pinwheel and it doesn't go away and the only way to fix it is to force quit Firefox and then restart it. I went into my plugins and disabled them all until I figured out what the problem was and it's "Shockwave Flash 10.2.152.26".

I tried a few times to uninstall both Shockwave and Flash and then reinstalled them but the same problem came back. I also tried to download an old version of it but that wouldn't load things on other websites like Hulu.

Can someone please help me or tell me what to do? It's really frustrating to have to go in to the plugin add-ons and disable this one every time I want to check my email, and it took me forever to narrow down the problem.

It's also freezing up in my Google Chrome AND Safari browsers, so I know it's not just Firefox.

Thanks!

-Kristin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Hi, thanks for starting your thread, I didn't see it until I received the email notification. Have you tried to turn off the hardware acceleration? If not, go to this site: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/. Right click on the Flash logo, Settings,
then UNcheck the hardware acceleration in Display Settings.

What edition is your Mac?

Now the plugins, Shockwave Flash which is the Control for Flash Player need to be Enabled. I understand your reason for Disabling them, but then Flash Player

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here, and didn´t find the solution... see my post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3473150#3473150

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos, You are posting on other threads and I think I asked you to start your own thread. This Forum stays very busy and I can't respond to each person that posts on one thread.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for starting your thread, I didn't see it until I received the email notification. Have you tried to turn off the hardware acceleration? If not, go to this site: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/. Right click on the Flash logo, Settings,
then UNcheck the hardware acceleration in Display Settings.

What edition is your Mac?

Now the plugins, Shockwave Flash which is the Control for Flash Player need to be Enabled. I understand your reason for Disabling them, but then Flash Player won't work as you probably found out. Each non-Internet Explorer browser have these plugins, IE uses the ActiveX Control.

I'm not familiar with Gmail, but it appears there is some conflict with this new version of FP. I haven't heard of any issues from the many Flash Forum thread. Now sometimes things aren't always as they appear. There could be some other addon in the browsers that could be causing this also.

Let me know on the hardware acceleration.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I right click the flash logo, "Settings" is grayed out so I can't click it, only "Global Settings" which didn't give the options you said. Would downloading the version meant for Chrome (10.2.154.13) maybe work instead?

I have a brand new Mac desktop... OSX Version 10.6.6, Snow Leopard.

I went through every other addon and tested it and this was the only one that caused it to freeze up. It's not just Gmail (though that is my main concern because that's where all my email comes through), but also other sites where flash player is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I was able to deselect the hardware acceleration in display settings. I restarted my browser and it's still freezing up on those websites. Do I need to restart my computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow sorry for all these replies. I restarted my computer and it worked! Thank you so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2011 Feb 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I didn't get a chance to get back to you last night. That's ok on the replies, sometimes it's needed!

I see the Reboot(restart) must have been needed. That's easily overlooked:-)

Glad things are working as they should. I would appreciate it if you would mark your thread as answered as this helps others as well.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines