26 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2011 10:26 AM by chriswillis100

Custom Colorpicker

chriswillis100 Level 1

Hey guys,

I'm quite new to flex and i'm using an SDK that provents me from using the mx:colorpicker function

What is the best way to go about making a simple one?

Basically what i need it to do is look and act like a normal colorpicker (press the colorpicker button and the pallet slides out), but i only need 12 boxes for the colors (about 35x35)

Can someone explain the simplest way of doing this

Thanks

Chris

• 1. Re: Custom Colorpicker
          miguel8312 Level 3

simplest way is to use the 3.5 sdk. why not do that... is there a reason your app must be on 4,0? you can also just import the mx: namespace into your app and then it should be available to you.

Miguel

Message was edited by: miguel8312

• 2. Re: Custom Colorpicker
            chriswillis100 Level 1

Because i'm using a Mobile Project, so i need to use flex hero because 3.5 doesn't support mobile projects

• 3. Re: Custom Colorpicker
              miguel8312 Level 3

I just did this using sdk 4 and it worked like a charm...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
              <s:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
                    xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"
                    xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx" minWidth="955" minHeight="600">
              <fx:Declarations>
                <!-- Place non-visual elements (e.g., services, value objects) here -->
              </fx:Declarations>

<mx:ColorPicker>

</mx:ColorPicker>
              </s:Application>

• 4. Re: Custom Colorpicker
                chriswillis100 Level 1

I think you're misunderstanding me,

I'm using an SDK that wont allow me to use flex 3.5 in a mobile application

Here's the error message

The prefix "mx" for element "mx:ColorPicker" is not bound

• 5. Re: Custom Colorpicker
                  robglobal

You're missing the namespace that defines what "mx" means:

xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx"

in your top MXML node

• 6. Re: Custom Colorpicker
                    chriswillis100 Level 1

Sorry yeah i did forget that

This is the error message:

Could not resolve <mx:ColorPicker> to a component implementation.

• 7. Re: Custom Colorpicker
                      Flex harUI Adobe Employee

Mobile projects probably don't include the mx.swc in them.  The old MX

components don't have a good UI for mobile and will add weight to the app.

If you only have 12 colors, put them in a List or TileList and use a state

and transition to slide them out or in based on a ToggleButton.

• 8. Re: Custom Colorpicker
                        chriswillis100 Level 1

Ok, so i guess i'll use buttons as the color blocks

But i need to call the color of the button and i can't do that

• 9. Re: Custom Colorpicker

One option would be to use a List with a renderer that just colors its

background based on the data property, not a button.  Then the selectedIndex

would map to the color

You could also custom skin a buttonbar and get the same effect.

• 10. Re: Custom Colorpicker
                            chriswillis100 Level 1

But with a list i could only have 1 block of colour per row right?

Or i could only select one row even if it did have lots of color blocks

• 11. Re: Custom Colorpicker

A TileList could have multiple renderers per row

• 12. Re: Custom Colorpicker
                                chriswillis100 Level 1

How do you create the empty rows and coloums in the list and how to you relate to them in the item renderer?

• 13. Re: Custom Colorpicker
                                  chriswillis100 Level 1

I pretty much need this spelled out to me, because i've been trying for two days to sort this and i've got nowhere

Thanks

Chris

• 14. Re: Custom Colorpicker

Draw a picture of what you want it to look like.

• 15. Re: Custom Colorpicker
                                      chriswillis100 Level 1

colorpicker.png

Thats what i'd like it to be like

If you could write a list of things to do that would be much appeciated

Thanks

Chris

• 16. Re: Custom Colorpicker

I started with the Spark ColorPicker example on my blog.

In ColorPickerListSkin.as, I:

1) ripped out the Hgroup containing the Preview and TextInput, and all code

that related to it

2) changed from FocusGroup to s:Group

3) modified the sizes of the swatchPanel Rect and DataGroup

4) modified the size of the swatch

In SparkColorPicker.as, I replaced the WebSafePalette with a custom

ArrayList with the desired colors.

• 17. Re: Custom Colorpicker
                                          chriswillis100 Level 1

private var colorlist:ArrayList

private var colors:Array = new Array(0x000000, 0xCD0000, 0x00CD00)

public function SparkColorPicker()

{

super();

colorlist = new ArrayList(colors)

labelFunction = blank;

labelToItemFunction = colorFunction;

openOnInput = false;

addEventListener(Event.CHANGE, colorChangeHandler);

}

I made the WebSafePallet into an array list like this, however i just get a big black box when i open the colorpicker, i can change the size of it by changing the swatch panel size but i cant get the 3 indivual swatchs to show up that i put in the array

• 18. Re: Custom Colorpicker
                                            chriswillis100 Level 1

any ideas?

• 19. Re: Custom Colorpicker

That looked ok.  Here's the popupanchor as I have it.

<s:PopUpAnchor id="popUp"  displayPopUp.normal="false"

displayPopUp.open="true" includeIn="open"

left="0" right="0" top="0" bottom="0" itemDestructionPolicy="auto"

popUpPosition="below" popUpWidthMatchesAnchorWidth="false">

<!---

This includes borders, background colors, scrollers, and

filters.

@copy

spark.components.supportClasses.DropDownListBase#dropDown

-->

<s:Group id="dropDown" >

<!--- @private -->

<s:RectangularDropShadow id="dropShadow" blurX="20" blurY="20"

alpha="0.45" distance="7"

angle="90" color="#000000" left="0" top="0" right="0"

bottom="0"/>

<!--- @private -->

<s:Rect id="border" left="0" right="0" top="0" bottom="0">

<s:stroke>

<!--- border stroke @private -->

<s:SolidColorStroke id="borderStroke" weight="1"/>

</s:stroke>

</s:Rect>

<!-- fill -->

<!--- Defines the appearance of drop-down list's background

fill. -->

<s:Rect id="background" left="1" right="1" top="1" bottom="1" >

<s:fill>

<!---

The color of the drop down's background fill.

The default color is 0xFFFFFF.

-->

<s:SolidColor id="bgFill" color="0xFFFFFF" />

</s:fill>

<s:VGroup id="swatchpanel" left="0" top="0" right="0" bottom="0"

>

<s:Group>

<s:Rect left="0" top="0" right="0" bottom="0" width="90"

height="120" >

<s:SolidColor color="0x0" />

<s:DataGroup id="dataGroup" left="0" top="0" right="0"

bottom="0" width="90" height="120" >

<s:layout>

<s:TileLayout verticalGap="0" horizontalGap="0"

requestedColumnCount="3" requestedRowCount="4"/>

</s:layout>

<s:itemRenderer>

<fx:Component>

<s:ItemRenderer>

<s:states>

<s:State name="normal" />

<s:State name="hovered" />

<s:State name="selected" />

</s:states>

<s:Rect id="swatch" width="30"

height="30">

<s:SolidColor color="" />

<s:stroke>

<s:SolidColorStroke

color="0xFFFF00" alpha.hovered="1" alpha="0" />

</s:stroke>

</s:ItemRenderer>

</fx:Component>

</s:itemRenderer>

</s:DataGroup>

</s:Group>

</s:VGroup>

</s:Group>

</s:PopUpAnchor

• 20. Re: Custom Colorpicker
                                                chriswillis100 Level 1

Just copied your code in and got this:

Initializer for 'color': cannot parse value of type uint from text ' '

It's to do with this part of the code:

<s:SolidColor color=" " />

• 21. Re: Custom Colorpicker

The forum software often eats code.

It should be a binding to data.  Quote, open curly, data, close curly, end

• 22. Re: Custom Colorpicker
                                                    chriswillis100 Level 1

Ok, got rid of the error but i still have just a black dropdownbox when i expand it

• 23. Re: Custom Colorpicker

Let's see if the forum will let me attach my code:

• 24. Re: Custom Colorpicker
                                                        chriswillis100 Level 1

Check your pm Flex harUI

• 25. Re: Custom Colorpicker

Try attaching this way.

• 26. Re: Custom Colorpicker
                                                            chriswillis100 Level 1

You're a genius!

It's all fixed now

Thank you so much for persisting with me

Chris