6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2011 1:36 AM by StScoundrel

AFX Projects messed up

StScoundrel

Hello there. I just got my new computer up and running, so I naturally moved my After Effects projects from the hard-drive of my old computer to hard-drive of new one. I'm quite sure I got all files used in projects etc, but I now I face some serious problems. Projects do open up just fine and find video files they need, but all in/out points and such are messed ups. Clips start and end at wrong times. It would be a lot of work to do everything again, this is rather a large project divided into dozen project files involving hundreds of clips.

Anyone know solution to this one? I could really use some help here. Using After Effects CS4.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: AFX Projects messed up
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What kind of clips? Sounds like a systemic problem where compressed footage does not carry persistent timecodes and due to different CoDecs being responsible, the calculated times based on teh GOP patterns do not match. Ergo, the logical thing to do would be to try and find out how they were handled on teh old system and reinstall the respective bit of software (or in reverse, uninstall potentially troublesome CoDecs from your new system). Whichever would solve your problem. also, if this is related to DynamicLink somehow, it may help to open the relevant premiere project, let it do the conform and let AE operate based on the existing Media Cache data.... Quite possible that Premiere does something better that AE can't....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AFX Projects messed up
            StScoundrel Level 1

Bless you, friend. Codecs were the last thing on my mind and it seems that simply downloading large pack of them solved the problem. And what a fast response, that saved my day.

Thanks alot.

• 3. Re: AFX Projects messed up
              StScoundrel Level 1

Apparently I celebrated too soon. I found some things were still messed up in way described in first post. I deleted the coded pack, tried various others and now I seem to be exactly where I started. I installed the one I downloaded last night (CCCP) and it don't seem to do the trick. Is there any specific way to tell what codecs I might need? The .mp4 files seem to use basic quicktime codecs and I do have quicktime. This is rather frustrating.

• 4. Re: AFX Projects messed up
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You should be able to open them in Quicktime Pro and get all the extended info from the movie properties (Window --> Movie Properties). Though, if you used standard QT CoDecs there should be no problems whatsoever. Perhaps an issue in QT itself?

Mylenium

• 5. Re: AFX Projects messed up
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

StScoundrel wrote:

The .mp4 files seem to use basic quicktime codecs and I do have quicktime... Using After Effects CS4.

I'm surprised you got mp4 files to work in AE 9 on your old machine.  I think you have been very lucky, but your luck didn't carry over to your new machine.

On the Creative COW, I often write the following to people who use long-gop footage and don't have AE 10:

"If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information.  However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information.  Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless.  I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it."

• 6. Re: AFX Projects messed up
                    StScoundrel Level 1

Thanks guys, but it seems the problem wasn't with codecs after all. I noticed AE was bit buggy and slow when it should have worked much smoother than before (this new PC is much more powerful) and then remembered that AE was bit choppy on my old computer before I had updated it. I realized the first thing I should have tried was running Adobe updater but it hadn't really occurred to me at all. So, some 1gb of updates later I have much smoother running AE and all projects work just the way they did before.

Rather foolish of me, I admit it, should have been the first thing to do after clean install of everything.