0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 1:07 PM by rowan.mtn

Black text printing as 90-95% gray

rowan.mtn

When printing PDF documents, black text prints as a very dark gray, so it is not as sharp as it should be.  This has occurred with the last three laser printers I have owned -- a HP4, a Brother HL-5050, and now a Lexmark E260dn. Problem has occurred with XP, Vista and 7. I was hoping beyond hope that Reader X would solve the problem -- no such luck!

I have seen the problem with PDFs produced from InDesign and Quark, and probably other programs. Printing the document from InDesign prints black as 100% -- make a PDF and black prints as very dark gray.

I have found a solution -- the problem only occurrs when printing to printers through PCL drivers.  If I use the Postscript driver, black prints black.  But it shouldn't happen -- not all lasers have the ability to print to a PS driver.  I recently had a rush job of 1,000, 16-page newsletters run off on a brand new Canon Imagerunner at a copy shop.  The newsletters looked bad with the gray, fuzzy text. I've found a PS driver for their machine that will probably fix the problem if I install it for them -- but it shouldn't happen!!!

I've tried checking/unchecking all the "Advanced" options in the Print window with no luck.

Any fix, Adobe?