11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2011 8:29 PM by the_wine_snob

How do I change text?

Maxine9876

I have completed my project -- it has music all synched up and all the photos are loaded.  It's a final, saved project. But I've decided to change the text on the title page.  When I double-click on the text, nothing happens.   If I hit "Add Text" it just puts the words over the existing text.  Appreciate any help. Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I change text?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First make sure you are in Timeline mode, not Sceneline.

In Timeline mode, you'll find the title on an upper video track. Double-click it to open it for editing.

Alternatively, you can double-click on it in the Project panel.

Do not click on the "T" on the Monitor panel or you'll just, as you've found, create another title.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I change text?
            Maxine9876 Level 1

Thank you!!  That worked.  Gawd, how easy.  I'm going to print out your reply so that I have it next time.

My next question is this:  My project is complete, as I already told you; but the view in the monitor box shows 2 white boxes around the pictures. When I burn this to a DVD, those white lines won't be there, right?  I am just about ready to burn this and I've been working on it for 3 weeks, so I want it to be right! Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: How do I change text?
              nealeh Level 5

The two white boxes are the "Safe Margins". Some CRT monitors don't always show the whole image as they overscan and cut of some of the borders. The outer white box is for content, the inner for Titles. So to be absolutely sure that all your text displays ensure that it is all within the inner white box.

The lines do not show in your output.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: How do I change text?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Maxine, if you're looking for help with these basics, you may want to check out my free Basic Training for Premiere Elements tutorials at videomaker support site Muvipix.com. They answer most of these kinds of questions.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

And, if you want to know everything about how these programs work, you may want to check out my books, available on Muvipix.com and Amazon.

• 5. Re: How do I change text?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Maxine,

As Neale states, those two "guides," are the Action Safe Area (outer box), and the Title Safe Area (inner), and account for overscan in older, CRT TV's. With most newer TV's, there is little, or no overscan, but for those TV's, that still have some overscan (even some newer ones do not show 100% of the Frame), the outer, Action Safe Area is still a good idea. If ANY of your viewers has an older CRT TV, you will want to work within those guides.

I also think that you can turn those OFF, to see more closely, what your Exported/Shared output file will look like. [Remember, the playback in the Program Monitor is but an emulation, albeit a pretty good one, so it is not 100% in all respects.]

Good luck, and I second Steve G's suggestion for his Basic Training and for his Learning Series (plus his great books), available at Muvipix.com. Happy editing.

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do I change text?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

In PrE 4.0 (should be the same, or at least similar in later versions), to turn ON/OFF the Safe Margins, Rt-click on the Program Monitor, and check/uncheck Safe Margins Display.

Safe_Margins.png

I usaually turn those OFF, until I go to add Titles, or animate Effects, like Motion>Scale, or Motion>Position, then I turn them ON.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: How do I change text?
                      Maxine9876 Level 1

Thanks, Bill. I'll try that.

• 8. Re: How do I change text?
                        Maxine9876 Level 1

Thank you!

• 9. Re: How do I change text?
                          Maxine9876 Level 1

You guys are great. Very support and helpful feedback. Will take you up on all suggestions. Thanks a million.

• 10. Re: How do I change text?
                            P_Forrest Level 1

Indeed, this forum is great!  You'll learn a lot here!

@Hunt:  Question concerning "Safe Margins..."  ----  are there any safe margins for drinking first class wine???   hehehe

Petey

• 11. Re: How do I change text?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Petey,

For me, yes - make sure that my wife is driving!

Hunt