5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 3:57 PM by oldschoolmx

AESELFLINK files not quitting...and numerous render problems

oldschoolmx Level 1

I've recently started having horrible problems with After Effects. Just now I found what might prove to be a telling clue.

I noticed that even after I quit AE that many of my processors were still churning away. When I looked at the Activity Monitor I saw that 2 instances of aeselflink were still running and were in fact churning away like crazy...despite the fact that I had already quit After Effects!

So clearly After Effects is having a problem releasing and quitting all it's processes. (It also seems to have a problem securing or engaging those processes with chronic long delays)

I have 24 gigs of RAM on an 8 core (16 thread) Mac Pro. My preferences are set to employ 10 of the 16 threads in AE, with the other CPUS reserved for the system and other apps. I am reserving 5 GB for "other applications, and allocated 1.5 GB per CPU."  I am only working on low res web video 640x360.

Anyone with similar problem? Anyone with suggestions?

• 2. Re: AESELFLINK files not quitting...and numerous render problems
          oldschoolmx Level 1

Todd, I am rabid about updating all my apps:

Adobe CS5 10.0.1

Apple: 10.6.6

• 3. Re: AESELFLINK files not quitting...and numerous render problems
            oldschoolmx Level 1

I thought I'd post a follow-up in case others are struggling and looking for solutions.

I have 24 GIGs of RAM and am currently only working at 640x360 web resolution. So I figured that 1 gig per CPU and 4 GIGS for other apps was plenty.

Perhaps I was wrong in my assumptions!

I've found that my system has run much better (so far) by doing the following:
            -Only using 8 of my 16 threads/CPUs (2009 Mac Pro with 8 core/16 threads)
            -Setting an allocation of 2 GB per CPU
            -Leaving 5 Gigs of RAM for other application

I have an additional 8 GIGS on order--bringing me up to 32. Hopefully I can use at least 12 of my 16 threads and stay rock solid.

I also am hopeful that Adobe will continue to improve their 64 bit architecture...providing better stability and also permitting a more reasonable RAM allocation per CPU. With the proliferation of multiprocessors (24 threads now...more in the next MacPro) it will be increasingly unreasonable to allocate so much RAM for each thread.

It wasn't but a few years ago when the program only had 2GB available for everything, so I can't understand the need for 2-3 GB per CPU for rendering.

• 4. Re: AESELFLINK files not quitting...and numerous render problems
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

oldschoolmx wrote:

Todd, I am rabid about updating all my apps:

Adobe CS5 10.0.1

Apple: 10.6.6

Aha!  And if this 10.6.6 is a reference to Quicktime, Oops! 

QT 10 is best described as.... oh, how to put it charitably... a work in progress, I suppose. 

It's far better to use QT 7.x; my version happens to be 7.6.8.  If you happen to run Final Cut Suite, you'll find an installer on your discs.  You'll also have the benefit of being able to render in ProRes 422, a very fine codec indeed.

You also might want to check this out:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2011/02/troubleshooting-quicktime-errors-with-after-eff ects.html

It's very informative.

• 5. Re: AESELFLINK files not quitting...and numerous render problems
                oldschoolmx Level 1

Dave, that is a very valuabled (and valued) link you've posted...and I'm mighty thankful. I'm going to spend a little time looking in my QT library later today.

In the past three days since moving to very conservative memory/CPU settings I've had ZERO problems and the program has been far more responsive. I've started to have more faith in the AE engineers (though I still think there is work for them to improve 64 bit CPU optimizations.)

However, you have brought up something I should check on, because I know I've installed a variety of additional QT codecs...such as my beloved web codec .x264, some AVI codecs and others. At the very least I should make sure I'm using the latest versions.  Todd's article looks outstanding.

If I get any more corrupted renders then I'll definitely look at that...but my hunch is that my other measures have resolved that.