5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2011 7:56 AM by bobster_hills

can't view/monitor copy-pasted video prem elements 7

bobtek

Hi folks

Wierd one this.  We've got Premiere elements 7 in college on some awfully slow computers (2GHz dual core cpu with 1GB ram).

Sometimes, when a student has copied some video and pasted it on another track/later in the session, they'll try and play it but it won't show in the monitor.

The screen goes black, but you can hear the audio.  However, when you double click the video itself, it will open in that  window you use for fine tuning a cut, and you can see it playing ok.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Bob

• 1. Re: can't view/monitor copy-pasted video prem elements 7
          nealeh Level 5

1GB RAM is nowhere near enough to run PRE7 comfortably (I'm quite surprised that it works at all). Other likely problems are inadequate free disk space and out of date drivers.

Work through these basics to see if it cures your problems.

• Install all Windows Updates.
          • Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.9 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.
          • Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
          • Install PRE7 v7.0.3 update.
          • Delete BadDrivers.txt (in Windows 7 this is likely at C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\BadDrivers.txt)
          • Run Disk Cleanup.Run Defragmenter.
          • Reboot your PC.
          • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

And give us some information about your clips and hardware:

There are several FAQ Articles, found on the right of the main forum page, and these address some of the issues covered above, plus also offer some tips on tuning up your system for NLE (Non Linear Editing) work. Be sure to read all of the FAQ Articles.

In the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, Bill Hunt has written many articles related to program/computer hangs, crashes and even the dreaded BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). They are accessed via the link to Tips & Tricks, also to the right of the main forum page. Here are a few, that might offer some great tips, and things to explore:

For issues with source files, see these articles:

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: can't view/monitor copy-pasted video prem elements 7
            bobtek Level 1

Hi Neale

Firstly, thanks for the concse reply!  I'll get on to that as soon as possible.  Sadly this means having to contact the college systems team & nag them into getting a tech down to look at all of these things.  And since there's only one for a 1000+ student college it could take some time.

We've had PRE 7 since its release and for the first half year it worked fine with 1GB.  However, I have always realised this is no where near enough, but college budget gets tighter on a daily basis, there's no room for upgrades

Regarding this question: "And give us some information about your clips and hardware:"

The computer systems are Dell Optiplex 330's with the aforementioned 1GB of offending ram.

Our cameras are Panasonic SDR-S50's, all drivers and software installed.

Re presets, we're using the DV Pal setting, 48khz.  Usually the students just open and get on.  Because there's that many its hard to keep track of mistakes etc, so I tend to do a lot of back tracking.

We load them via the normal Get media option once its opened.  All work is stored on a special folder in C: drive.

Cheers

Bob

• 3. Re: can't view/monitor copy-pasted video prem elements 7
              nealeh Level 5

The good news is that your camera produces DV-AVI - this is bread and butter for PRE7 as it is built around DV-AVI (and for Hi-Def HDV). And is probably the reason you have been able to work with just the 1GB RAM - DV-AVI means a lot less work for PRE.

Let us hope your tech support have success with working through the tips. Note that should they suggest you store your files on a network server (a reasonable suggestion for an educational environment as they could then include your files in a centralised backup routine) don't let them. PRE does not like networks and works best with locally stored files. Should they make the suggestion you could ask them to create a job (or use the excellent utility Allway Sync) to automatically copy local files to network for backup.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: can't view/monitor copy-pasted video prem elements 7
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

I applaud your efforts. It sounds like you are doing quite a bit of work, to benefit those students, and managing to do it within the constraints of the school's budget. Not easy today. Good job, and I hope that Neale's suggestions can be implemented. Upping the RAM, and doing the maintenance/tuning on the computers will go a long way to editing enjoyment for the students, and in turn, for the teacher.

As for the network storage of the students' Assets, I agree with Neale, regarding the networked drive. PrE works best, where the Project, the Assets and the Scratch Disks (working files) are local. I use a NAS (Network Attached Storage) RAID unit for archival storage of Assets (stock photography, stock video, stock SFX, stock music, etc.), but ALWAYS copy the Assets, that I will be using, over to the internal HDD's (or to a FW-800 external, if I need to migrate my Project between computers). This serves many purposes: it makes PrE happy, it's far faster, and it concentrates Copies of all used Assets in one place - the Project's folder hierarchy, and that helps, when it's time to clean things up. I still have the originals of all of those Assets on the NAS, so when I go to clean up, after the Project is finished, I can just Delete the Project's root folder, and everything goes away, but the originals are still in storage.

If your IT department has any questions, please invite them to read and post to this thread. We'd be happy to work with them. Unfortunately, most IT departments do not work with video-editing machines (or even graphics workstations) that much. The great bulk of their work is with general computers, doing wordprocessing, database and spreadsheet processing and general computing tasks. They do a great job at this, and also managing the necessary networks. However, things get more complicated, when one is doing video editing, one of the most intense tasks, that one can use the computer for. A computer that flies through Excel spreadsheets, handles large DOC/DOCX files with ease, surfs the Internet and works with tons of e-mail, may likely just lie down and die, when asked to edit even simple video, and even with a consumer-level NLE, like PrE. Those are just different tasks, and many have no experience with what it takes to edit video.

Good luck - you are performing a noble job!

Hunt

• 5. Re: can't view/monitor copy-pasted video prem elements 7
                  bobster_hills

Thanks folks.  Noble... maybe not, but it is a job I enjoy.  Sadly the government don't seem to think FE is worth the money, so there's a 95% reality I'll be made redundant before the end of the year.

I am, however, getting an order in for more ram & will be badgering the systems technician into sorting out all those mods Neale suggested.

Bob