13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2011 9:56 AM by the_wine_snob

ZOOMING IN on  "still"  images in CS5 ??

George D.D. Level 1

I realize Adobe PP CS5, as good as it is, is just an editing program, and this may be asking a lot of it, but does anyone know if there is a way to do slow zooms or pans on "still"  TIFF images put into the timeline?  Even being able to do that on "non-moving-camera" scenes would be nice.

I'm not talking about anything drastic, because I realize a zoom in, especially, would be reducing quality as we go in. But, it would be a nice option to be able to do it, especially to give some movement to still and static images.

If anyone knows if this is possible, please let me know, and EXACTLY how to achieve it.

Thanks much.

• 1. Re: ZOOMING IN on  "still"  images in CS5 ??
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Use Motion/Scale/Position in the Effects Control Panel with the clip selected in the timeline. Add keyframes if needed.

• 2. Re: ZOOMING IN on  "still"  images in CS5 ??
            Colin Brougham Level 6
            ...I realize a zoom in, especially, would be reducing quality as we go in. But, it would be a nice option to be able to do it, especially to give some movement to still and static images.

Not necessarily. If you start with an image that has linear dimensions 2-3 times larger than your sequence, you actually have to set the Scale value to less than 100% to see the entire image. Then, you can scale to 100% (a "zoom in") without any perceived loss of quality. If you go farther than 100%, at that point, you are interpolating pixels that didn't exist previously, and the image will begin to soften. If you are using hardware MPE (GPU acceleration), this can be diminished to an extent due to higher quality scaling algorithms that are used by hardware MPE. It's not a magic bullet, but for minor increases beyond 100% it can help.

The most important thing to remember is that the fixed Scale effect in Motion is relative to the dimensions of the source clip, and not of the sequence. That means that, for example, when you use a 1920x1080 image in a 720x480 sequence preset, the 100% scale of the image that is applied by default pertains to the pixel dimensions of the source, and not of the destination. The upshot of this is that, if you intended to zoom/scale an image, start at a larger dimension than that of your destination sequence.

• 3. Re: ZOOMING IN on  "still"  images in CS5 ??
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One has to make sure the still is not set to Scale to Framesize either in the clips popup menu or Preferences.

• 4. Re: ZOOMING IN on  "still"  images in CS5 ??
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Good point, Ann--I was going to mention that and forgot.

The "Scale to Frame Size" option is sort of deceitful, if you ask me. It automagically makes any clip or image placed in a sequence to scale to the dimensions of the sequence, to the smallest dimension, without stretching. This seems to be useful, at the face of it, but the problem is that the scaling is done without actually changing the Motion > Scale value. What this means is that, regardless of the size of the source clip, when "Scale to Frame Size" is used, the Scale value in the ECP will always show 100%. If you scale using the Scale parameter then--say, to zoom in after the image is scaled to fit the sequence--you will introduce quality loss.

Someone who has been a Premiere user for longer than I might be able to refresh my memory: this was introduced in CS3, correct? Didn't PPro 2.0 (which I used for about three weeks) actually adjust the scale values when using this command?

• 5. Re: ZOOMING IN on  "still"  images in CS5 ??
                  joe bloe premiere Level 5

Colin Brougham wrote:

Someone who has been a Premiere user for longer than I might be able to refresh my memory: this was introduced in CS3, correct? Didn't PPro 2.0 (which I used for about three weeks) actually adjust the scale values when using this command?

PPro 2 does not adjust the scale values when using "Scale to Framesize" command.

The "Motion/Scale/Position" values in the Effects Control Panel remain at 100%.

• 6. Re: ZOOMING IN on  "still"  images in CS5 ??

I always have it turned off, by the way.

In 6.5 they had 'lock Aspect' in the Preferences.

in Pro 1.0 fit to framesize was in the Project Settings.

In Pro 2.0 they the moved it to the Preferences and the clip.

All stills had to be reimported.

I skiped CS3.

• 7. Re: ZOOMING IN on  "still"  images in CS5 ??
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks guys--I came into Premiere late (though I briefly played with it back in college when it was Premiere 4.0 on a blueberry Mac G3 ). Seems there has never really been strong concensus on how to treat this "feature." I'd argue that the current implementation, well... sucks.

• 8. Re: ZOOMING IN on  "still"  images in CS5 ??
                        George D.D. Level 1

I don't understand why you all are saying that you can't start out with an image that's1920x1080 ?  It would seem to me that if I'm going to zoom "in" it would be fine starting with that size.  I could understand it not working if you're zoom "out" because there's no more image, but zooming in ??  Doesn't make much sense to me.

I've tried the Motion/Scale/Position, suggest by Harm, and it does not work.  So, I must be doing something wrong.

I'll just keep trying.

I can tell you guys/gals have been using this program for many, many years.  I, therefore, realize that I have buckets and buckets of info and techniques to learn.

Thanks for your patience.

• 9. Re: ZOOMING IN on  "still"  images in CS5 ??
                          Colin Brougham Level 6
                          I don't understand why you all are saying that you can't start out with an image that's1920x1080 ?.

Please read again; no one is saying that. To the contrary, it is what we're suggesting.

It would seem to me that if I'm going to zoom "in" it would be fine starting with that size.  I could understand it not working if you're zoom "out" because there's no more image, but zooming in ??  Doesn't make much sense to me..

See above; this is exactly what we're saying.

I've tried the Motion/Scale/Position, suggest by Harm, and it does not work.  So, I must be doing something wrong.

What part of it isn't working? Make sure you have selected and are viewing (e.g. you have the CTI in the sequence parked over) the clip you want to manipulate.

• 10. Re: ZOOMING IN on  "still"  images in CS5 ??
                            George D.D. Level 1

CTI ??

Please bare with me guys....

• 11. Re: ZOOMING IN on  "still"  images in CS5 ??

Current-time indicator

Sorry can't seem to get the Bold off or change fontsize.

Message was edited by: Ann Bens

• 12. Re: ZOOMING IN on  "still"  images in CS5 ??
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

That's the thin vertical red line in the sequence representing the current frame in the Program Monitor. If you're not "looking" at the clip you want to modify (via the position of the CTI), you won't see a change in the Program Monitor.

PS: Hey Ann... quit yelling

• 13. Re: ZOOMING IN on  "still"  images in CS5 ??
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

The forum has been acting very, very wonky, since about Feb 10. Have not encountered "locked" formatting yet, but assume that I will very soon.

Wishing us all luck, that Adobe will get the forum fixed soon,

Hunt