9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 11:29 PM by moccamaximum

HOW is this game done?

le_mac_man Level 1

I know it may involve a lot of technical expertise to create the game featured in the link below, but I would very much appreciate if someone could tell me in plain and simple terms the steps / programming techniques that would be needed to make such a game please.

GAME: It's a game where there are multiple objects that continuously fall from the top of the game screen, and the user has control of 3 objects which are linked together at the bottom (recycling bins), and the user has to position the bins so that the falling object falls into the correct bin etc...

Is this purely ActionScript 3.0 ? and just how complex would it be to make this??

All help and advice most welcome, and needed!

Thank you.

(after the initial loading of the page, just click on "validez" and then "JOUER" for the game to start)

LINK: http://tri-recyclage.ecoemballages.fr/detente/challenge_tri/

• 1. Re: HOW is this game done?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For the falling objects you need to dynamically create them from the library and have each one manage its y property such that it starts at the top and gradually moves to the bottom.  You might search for a "snow" actionscript out there to get the gist of how this could be done.

For collecting the falling objects into recycling bins you can have each falling object continually perform a hitTestObject (AS3) against the bins to see if it hits a correct bin (preferably only on the top where the opening would be).  There could be a y value range that triggers the hitTest to start and one that shuts it down as well so that a missed object doesn't get caught after falling below the top of the bins.

Controlling the movement of the bins could be done either using the mouse and some startDrag()/stopDrag() code, or the keyboard.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: HOW is this game done?
            le_mac_man Level 1

Thank you very much for the information. I've never done anything remotely like this before and I've only just started to find out about ActionScript 3, so it's all a bit overwhelming and scary at the moment.

I'll look into all you've mentioned and see if I can try to understand a bit more!

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: HOW is this game done?

One of your best chances for finding things is to search Google using search terms that identify the actionscript version and the feature you wish to investiagte, and if you want to find a tutorial, it doesn't hurt to add that... example: search Google using "AS3 hitTestObject tutorial" or "AS3 startDrag tutorial"

You will have to be patient and try to solve each part separately in order to gain an understanding of what you are dealing with.  You are often better just focusing practice designs on one element at a time and not trying to get all the pieces to play on the first shot.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: HOW is this game done?
                moccamaximum Level 5

The actual engine to drive suche a game involves noting more than collision detection, it gets more complicated when you want to have a real login system and a highscore that is saved to a database (like here), you will have to dig in serverside scripting like php and have a principle understanding of databases and how flash interacts with them.

Also i must admit , the design of this whole game is beautiful, the easing functions that control the garbage-tons for example, the popups that you get, the typography. Chapeau!

To hire some freelancers that would program/design such a game from scratch you will have to invest easily a five-digit $ sum.

So: yes its complicated and needs a lot of experience to deliver such a polished product, its surely not a project you would start with as a beginner.

• 5. Re: HOW is this game done?

It is as good a project as any to start learning the skills involved.

• 6. Re: HOW is this game done?
                    moccamaximum Level 5

From a pure programmers perspective, I agree, what I meant, was the design/GUI

quality  thats shown in this example, which is -in my opinion outstanding. Most

Flashgames you find out in the wilderness of the web look like crap because your

average programmer thinks: the main thing is: it works, whatever it looks.

• 7. Re: HOW is this game done?
                      le_mac_man Level 1

Thanks for your comment moccamaximum.

I'm new to the whole ActionScript world and it is very intimidating, so on top of that if I need to be an expert programmer in php, this is probably going to be way out of my league at the moment.

I was just wondering what were all the pieces that make this game function. Ned has already kindly mention the hitTest etc... feature which i'm looking into.

So you think there is a lot of PHP programming involved with this game along with databases being used with flash? and you would put a $10,000 price tag on this game in your opinion? Wow! definitely not a beginners project then! :-)

• 8. Re: HOW is this game done?

I removed my remarks regarding the price tag so as not to appear as arguing Mocca's comments, but Mocca saw fit to put them in for some reason(? I see it as an unfriendly gesture if it was purposely done).

Anyone charging a 5 figure amount for that design either works for a large company that has alot of overhead they need to pay for, or has an abominable hourly rate, or simply charges ridiculous amounts.

There would not be alot of PHP programming, just enough to process data to and from the database.

• 9. Re: HOW is this game done?
                          moccamaximum Level 5

Sorry, Ned, no Unfriendliness intended, I removed your comment from the post.