11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 6:28 AM by Daa404

FDF response issue with Acrobat Reader 9.4.2

Daa404 Level 1

Hello,

The Adobe Reader 9.4.2 is causing issues with FDF response.

Our web application serves PDF dynamically via custom IHttphandler. Our website enables users  to fill pdf forms with data and then sends data by submitting it in XFDF format to some data handler module which saves pdf form's data to Database and then sends FDF resrponse to enable users to continue the  interaction  with pdf form.

Prior to this update we didn't expeirence any issues during described process with any Adobe Reader version.

Now, if our app sends FDF response after PDF form data is submitted and saved, the following error occurs :

"Unable to locate the form, because the FDF lacks an /F key. If the FDF  came back as a result of a submit from a PDF form, then the URL is  probably missing "#FDF" at the end".

I'm providing the url with "#FDF" part at the end and it can't cause any problems.

As far as the  /F key is concerned, if I provide add it to my response FDF with URL, it redirects to that URL which is  not a desired and correct behaviour for our website.

This error has not appeared before, and doesn't appear after Adobe Reader X latest patch (10.0.1).

Any solutions to this issue would be appriciated.

Thanks,

David

• 1. Re: FDF response issue with Acrobat Reader 9.4.2
          mhnbording Level 1

Hi David,

Just came across your post. I ran into the exact same issue when the patch came out. I posted over at Acro users, however there has only been response, which I'm guessing is from you I also contacted Adobe support via their bug report form, but I have had  zero feedback. Today I noticed that Adobe has released a patch to solve  some of the many issues with the 9.4.2 release, however it seems to be  exclusively for the full Acrobat version, not the Reader. Hopefully a  Reader patch is the workings, because judging by the number of issues I  have seen related to this patch, I'm tempted to think that it was made  by an intern during a lunch break

Cheers,

Michael

• 2. Re: FDF response issue with Acrobat Reader 9.4.2
            Daa404 Level 1

Hi Michael,

Recently found Adobe Reader 9.4.3 update and thought that Adobe has finally fixed our issue with #FDF response, but unfortunately it ended up with no success as the issue still exists.

Wondering if any results at your side?

Thanks,

David

• 3. Re: FDF response issue with Acrobat Reader 9.4.2
              mhnbording Level 1

Hey David,

Yeah, I also found the .3 update to much joy the other day, but I fairly quickly arrived at the same conclusion as you   However our company has filed a support ticket with Adobe Developer Support describing the error. Also I set up a simple test-page that hopefully will expose the error for the Adobe staff.

http://www.activeform.dk/test/fdftester.htm

When I get any news I'll be sure to let you know.

Cheers,

Michael

• 4. Re: FDF response issue with Acrobat Reader 9.4.2
                Daa404 Level 1

Hello Michael,

Thanks for quick response.

Hope your company's support ticket won't be left without any answer .

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Cheers,

David

• 5. Re: FDF response issue with Acrobat Reader 9.4.2
                  Daa404 Level 1

Hi Michael,

I just wanted to know if there is any progress with your ticket with Adobe support or  may be you've found a soulution to our problem .

However, as you could already have noticed  Adobe Reader 9.4.4 update released on April 21,2011 neither solves the problem.

Kind Regards,

David

• 6. Re: FDF response issue with Acrobat Reader 9.4.2
                    mhnbording Level 1

Hi David,

I have been meaning to send you an update, but haven't gotten around to it till now. However we had an on-line session with Adobe to show them who the error could be provoked, but in their set-up the error didn't appear. I found this quite odd and spend some time figuring out an explanation for this. After some digging I figured out that the error seems to be in the browser plugin, more specifically the AcroPDF.dll which is located somewhere like C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX. So if you run with an old plugin the Reader version 9.4.2-> seem to work just fine. We have reported this back to Adobe, so now we await further information in regards to this issue.

Cheers,

/m

• 7. Re: FDF response issue with Acrobat Reader 9.4.2
                      Daa404 Level 1

Hello Michael,

Sorry for late response.

Unfortunately, I forgot to mention in my original post that the problem only occurs under Internet Explorer, so it is not strange that the problem is in browser plugin (specifically in IE plugin, as there is no any issue with Acrobat Reader 9.4.2 under Firefox, Chrome). But as we can understand it is not an IE issue , as everything is working as expected under IE with Adobe Reader verisons before  9.4.2 update.

I think this could be a reason that the error didn't occur at Adobe side during your on-line session.

However , thanks for sharing the new info you have on this issue.

Hope you will let me know if there are any news!

Best Regards,

David

• 8. Re: FDF response issue with Acrobat Reader 9.4.2
                        zeferorg Level 1

I faced with similar problem - got the same error message by an attempt to submit a form of a saved PDF.

As it recommends I made sure an /F key is set and resolved it.

Here is the PDF and FDF generating scripts: http://pd4ml.com/support/pd4ml-html-css-pdf-tips-tricks-f7/pdf-forms-t422.html

As you can see, it sets /F like that:

/F(<%=request.getHeader("referer") %>)

It works well online, but when the PDF is saved locally and you submit the form from Acroread, if does not define "referer" HTTP header and the /F key looks like

/F (null)

which causes the error message you mentioned. A hardcoded /F key with an URL of the PDF partially solved the issue. I wrote "partially", because now by a form submit it opens a new Acroread window with the PDF document filled with FDF data.

I am not sure if the issue, I faced with, exactly matches your one - I just want to share my experience as the error message is misleading: "lacks an /F key" - is wrong, as the key was there but its value was wrong; "missing #FDF at the end" - I simply had not idea what it is about.

Hopefully someone will find the info useful.

• 9. Re: FDF response issue with Acrobat Reader 9.4.2
                          mhnbording Level 1

Hello zeferorg,

It sounds like you have hit the excact same problem And you are quite right that the problem seems to be resolved by adding a valid /F tag, however please note that all form data will be lost when returning after the post. I made a simple test page for Adobe support to illustrate the issue, it shows both scenarios quite well. You can check it out here:

http://www.activeform.dk/test/fdftester.htm

As I mentioned to David, Adobe are now aware of this issue, so hopefully it will be all better in the the next 9 series release

Cheers,

/m

• 10. Re: FDF response issue with Acrobat Reader 9.4.2
                            mhnbording Level 1

Hey guys,

Great news, just finished my initial test of the new 9.4.5 Reader version, and it would seem, waaaait for it, the issue has been resolved

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=windows&product=10

I just put it the new version though my test page and fdf posts are now handled just like in the 8 and 10 series and pre 9.4.2.

Cheers,

/m

• 11. Re: FDF response issue with Acrobat Reader 9.4.2
                              Daa404 Level 1

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!

After initial testing everything seems to work as expected  without any glitches with the new 9.4.5 Reader.

Hope there won't be any surprises from Adobe with future updates .

Thanks again,

David