10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2011 1:31 PM by the_wine_snob

Time-Sensitive:  How to add an animated "book" to my video??

borneoguy

Hey Folks,

Sorry for the alarmist title.   I'm in a bit of a time crunch here on a (video) application for a dream job so any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm simply trying to add an animated "book" to my video.  The setup would be a picture-in-picture (or more appropriately, a video-in-video), much like a newscaster would use on the nightly news - with an image to their left or right.  In my case, I want the image to be an animated video of a research paper I did, with the animation being your standard "page turn" effect as if the person were reading the actual paper.

Is there a way to do this within Adobe Premiere Elements itself?  I don't have copies of After Effects, etc, so if it's not possible is there a free alternative?

Thanks everybody!!!

-S.P.

• 1. Re: Time-Sensitive:  How to add an animated "book" to my video??
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>animated video

As long as the "animated video" is a codec that PE will use, you should be able to do PIP

• 2. Re: Time-Sensitive:  How to add an animated "book" to my video??
            borneoguy Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  I am fairly new with PE, but am a computer/software professional.  I figured PIP is the route I want to go;  my question is more about how I go about creating the animation of the book itself (i.e., the pages turning).  This will of course then be added as a PIP.

I was not aware I had to keep an eye on which codec was used, but will look into this.  My video is a mix of images, avi, dvd recording, etc.

• 3. Re: Time-Sensitive:  How to add an animated "book" to my video??
              the_wine_snob Level 9

There are a lot of various posts and tutorials on "page turns" on Muvipix. Here is a SEARCH of there Forum with links to the various articles. Some might be very helpful, with tips and tricks, and some just discussions. I did not read each, but you should be able to pick and choose, based on the titles.

Good luck with both the Project and the job,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Time-Sensitive:  How to add an animated "book" to my video??
                borneoguy Level 1

Thank you for the reply, Bill.  I just poured through a lot of muvipix forums as advised.  It seems that what people on there are doing are a bit more complicated than I need.  I actually don't need the full "book" look, so I can avoid all the hassle of left page, right page, alignment, etc.

Perhaps someone can help me, with this added detail:  I just want to have a picture-in-picture, where the inset shows ONE page of my research paper at a time.  I'd then apply some sort of page turn/curl effect to show the next page, and so on (as opposed to an animation of a book folding open).  How do I make a video of this process, so I can add it as a PIP?

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate it - especially in this time crunch!

• 5. Re: Time-Sensitive:  How to add an animated "book" to my video??
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There is a Page Turn Transition, that should get you close.

In the PiP, you can use the Corner Pin Effect (think that PrE has that?), to locate your PiP (on Video Track above the "book" graphic), to match the apparent angle and also the Scale and Position. If you have the "book" in one-point perspective, then all you need is the fixed Effects>Motion>Scale and Motion>Position. That is assuming that you have done all cropping, etc., for your still images, in say PSE/PS. Otherwise, you would need to look at using a Track Matte Key, but by doing the prep in an image editing program, you will save yourself work in PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - though it's free to Muvipix subscribers, I think that Steve Grisetti has similar in his Tips & Tricks book, with excerpts on Muvipix.

• 6. Re: Time-Sensitive:  How to add an animated "book" to my video??
                    borneoguy Level 1

Bill, thanks so much.  I will try exactly what you said - and I can imagine what it will look like.

Upon further searching....this more sophisticated graphic just looks plain AWESOME:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33vwELX-GMc&feature=related

I know that's a bit more advanced and I'd be going back on my "non-book" plan, but do you (or any helpful soul!) know what program, general methodology I should research to learn how to do that?  Never mind the zooming in and out part in the beginning and end.  Just the book graphic itself.  I'd be willing to pull an all-night (or two) to get something THAT professional looking in my video.

You guys are my heroes.

• 7. Re: Time-Sensitive:  How to add an animated "book" to my video??
                      nealeh Level 5

As it says on the youtube page it is done with Adobe After Effects ($999) and Zaxwerks 3D Warps for After Effects ($199).

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Time-Sensitive:  How to add an animated "book" to my video??
                        Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Hi Neale,

Re: Previous "Disappointed with PE 9" which has been closed by Steve Gresetti. I would like to add I appreciate the technical advice you have given me in this forum  which is apparently un-paid. Why does Adobe not allow their Technicians to have an input ?

I would like to thank him too, but, his mail box is full, please pass this on if you can.

Regards

• 9. Re: Time-Sensitive:  How to add an animated "book" to my video??
                          nealeh Level 5

You're very welcome. We're all just a bunch of users who like the product. But we recognise that there can be learning difficulties and technical problems with the product and hope to share whatever knowledge we have that may get people up & running or resolving their usage questions. It's just a shame that the number of technical problems so outweighs the number of usage questions 'cos I rather prefer the usage ones. They provide a greater opportunity for me to learn to use the product better.

Thanks for the comment (and I'm sure Steve will see it).

Happy editing

--
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: Time-Sensitive:  How to add an animated "book" to my video??
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

Adobe does not stop their employees from providing input. We have been blessed with two employees, that I am aware of, and there could be another 1 - 2, who do not have the Adobe Employee "badge" on their Profile - something that is encouraged. The PrE forum has not had THAT much participation, and it WAS the same in PrPro. With about CS4.2, some more Adobe folk showed up, and that number has increased greatly. At one time, Adobe employee participation was done on personal time, from a desire to help. As of CS5, participation became part of the job description for several.

I do not know whether those employees, who post here, are doing so out of a desire to help, or something else. I would like to see Adobe directly support their employees, who do post to the fora. They might be already, or maybe not. I just do not know.

Going back to the PrPro forum, we had two valued, Adobe employee contributors, who posted on their own time. Unfortunately, too many posters piled on them with all sorts of complaints, from prices to licensing, to goodness knows what all. One, Wil Renzces just gave up trying to help. Another just disappeared one day. Wil has shown back up, along with a half-dozen others, and still remains. From time to time, we try to remind, especially new posters, to welcome this participation, and to not load up every complaint in the book. Those employees have nothing to do with marketing, or with the legal department. They are in the development team, and are trying to help. Some posters do not see it that way.

In general, and unless noted in the profile, everyone else is just a user, trying to help other users.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I am with Neale. I would rather spend my time on aesthetic issues, and the technical discussions on those, than how to install the trial.