0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2011 11:06 AM by Pharther Phurther

CS5 and Local / Wireless / Firewall Issues?

Pharther Phurther Level 1

Mac OS X

I live next to a public library and recently switched my wireless modem, cable router, and installed different monitoring software.

Over the years I have caught people logging in, downloading, and God knows what else and changed settings .. and just got a new setup, and cable phone modem.

Unfortunately I didn't purchase a Apple Airport device ... but a cheaper replacement to my failing Express.

In regard to a file called "com.adobe.dynamiclinkmanagerCS5" that appears in my trash every restart, I have found a Adobe Tech Report:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/857/cpsid_85711.html

"Adobe After Effects CS5 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 use TCP to communicate with the QuickTime server (Adobe QT32 Server) and Dynamic Link manager.

Some firewall software (such as ZoneAlarm) blocks this communication, mistaking it for a security threat.

The communication between these components is limited to the local computer, which is enough for most firewall software to recognize the communication as safe.

Some firewall software, however, requires that connections to these components are explicitly allowed.

If communication between these components fails, the application can hang while waiting for a response, or even crash.

The message shown in the startup (splash) window when the application hangs is usually "Initializing MediaCore".

In some cases, the application continues to function when communication is blocked, but the application mistakenly reports that QuickTime is not installed.

This error occurs because the application can't communicate with QuickTime and therefore concludes that it is not present."

Believe me ... I am a 'noobie' and have no idea what I am doing. Someone tried to help me and now I'm reloading everything again.
      Anyway .. I have been trying to solve a plugin problem ... possibly pertaining to some XML file that gets lost from AE before rendering in PP.
      Also .. I have had poor export / render performance with Media Encoder .. as seen in the Mac OS X Activity Monitor.
      I have been advised to contact Adobe tech support  .. which I will as soon as I can reproduce the problem that has alluded me.
      Has anyone experienced strange AE plugin behavior when using Dynamic Link ... or have any recommendations for trying to keep a network safe and active without causing a communication problem in CS5?