3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 11:17 PM by pwillener

PDF files are registered as TXT files

pommerjohn

I have been building PCs for the state of Iowa for a long time.  Onve of the first things we add to the PC is Adobe Reader.  After I have it loaded, I check for updates and apply them.  At this point, everything should work fine.  However, if I try to open a pdf file, it shows up as a being a txt file that will be opened with Notepad.  I have been fighting this for years and would like to know what I am doing wrong.  Has anyone else had this problem?

It would seem to be a permissions issue, but I am obviously working as an administrator and should therefore have all of the permissions that I need.  If I go to the File Types tab in the Folder Options screen (as an administrator), I can change the asssociation so that it opens with Reader.  But, the assignment doesn't apply to the non-admin users that get the PC.  I have to make them admins of the PC, log on as them, make the change, log off and on as me, and finally remove them from the admin group.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: PDF files are registered as TXT files
          pwillener Level 8

I have never heard of this issue.  Installing Adobe Reader will automatically associate all PDF (and other) files with Reader.  I cannot imagine how they get associated with Notepad.

What is your Windows version?

What Adobe Reader version do you use?

How do you install them (from an EXE download, or an MSI download, other)?

• 2. Re: PDF files are registered as TXT files
            pommerjohn Level 1

This is something that I have been dealing with for years.  I am loading version 9 on XP machines.  For ease of installation, we saved AdbeRdr934_en_US.exe to our server and load from there.  Usually, everything works fine at that point.  It is only after I load the other apps to our system that I notice the problem.  In any case, I can't just change it for me and expect it to be applied to all users.  As an admin, I can change the file type association so that it uses the reader for pdf files.  However, regular users are not admins and cannot make the changes.  I don't know if one of the other apps (Enterprise Vault client, IBM3270, WinZip) that I load is messing with it or if the update is screwing it up.

John

• 3. Re: PDF files are registered as TXT files
              pwillener Level 8

You may want to try to change the installation sequence, i.e. installing Adobe Reader last.

I can rule out WinZip or the 3270 emulator as culprits, as I use them myself.  But I don't know what the Enterprise Vault client; check if the associations have changed after you install that software.