9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 7:46 PM by the_wine_snob

What to film for Ghost effect

filmschooljefe08!

Since my last attempt at a ghost effect did not turn out so great I thought I would come here and ask you guys if you knew how I should film my shots before I edit them.

the effect I want is similar to my last one.  However, I want to film a couple in a park and then have a shot of them about to kiss and then the girl disappears before the boy can kiss her.  My second shot I would like to add effects to is almost the same, except they both disappear.  I know this isnt a filming forum but I was wondering if anyone know how I could film this so I could add the effect. 

My first thought was to film them each sepereatly, and then layer the 2 videos and have the video with the girl simply fade out.  But then I remembered I had an issue with the layering and making both people non-transparent was difficult.

If anyone has any ideas that would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Jeff

• 1. Re: What to film for Ghost effect
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

I would do this in four shots:

The couple in the park to establish things

The park without the couple (probably several different POV to accommodate the POV of your next shots)

Greenscreen of the girl

Greenscreen of the guy

Then, key out the actors, and place them in the park, after the establishing shot. Adjust their Opacity to "ghost" them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: What to film for Ghost effect
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I've always thought practical effects just had a certain reality to them that CGI and other post effects did not.

I'd just go ahead and use a real ghost.  There's even an Indie GAG contract for low budget productions, where you can offer Low/No/Deferred and still get quality talent.

• 3. Re: What to film for Ghost effect
              filmschooljefe08! Level 1

Is there any other option if i do not have access to a green screen? 

Am i correct in saying that the shot with both of them disapearing can be done by shooting one shot with them and one without and simply fading the shot with them?

Jeff

• 4. Re: What to film for Ghost effect
                Colin Brougham Level 6
                Is there any other option if i do not have access to a green screen?

You might want to look at the Difference Matte effect. It's designed precisely for scenarios like this. What you would do is shoot a locked down background plate without your actors in it, and then shoot the same shot with your actors--don't move the camera! If you need the actors to disappear separately, you'll have to shoot shots with them individually, and do your best to make sure it looks like they're interacting with one another.

In post, you'd drop your background plate on the first video track, and then another copy on the second track. Put your foreground on the third track, and apply the Difference Matte to it. Set it to use Video 2 for the Difference Layer, and then disable the clip in Video 2. Adjust the matte settings; it may be easier to start with a solid color matte on Video 1 to make it easier to define the matte. Repeat this on Video 4 with the other foreground clip, if necessary. Once you've tweaked the settings and gotten a clean matte, you can independently adjust the opacity of the foreground clips to make them appear to fade out.

If you Google for "difference matte" or "difference key" you'll probably find some other examples of this effect and how to achieve it. It definitely will take some planning and careful shooting, but should be feasible.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: What to film for Ghost effect
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

You are correct, on the two shot. Just lock down the camera well, watch for wind in the leaves, and anything else that would show a difference. I would also think about doing perhaps a Garbage Matte, pretty close to the couple in the two shot, just to keep things as close, as is possible, between the two shots - just make sure that you have locked the camera down very well.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: What to film for Ghost effect
                    shooternz Level 6

Kind of like Bill Hunt said but no green screen,

Shoot the couple ( locked off static camera for simplicity)

Shoot the BG ( no couple  same lock off)

Ensure at point of "ghost away" that there is enough separation between the couple that you can mask with a garbage matte.

Use a garbage matte to bring in the empty BG where you need it..

You could do this with a lot more sophistication in AEFX where you would have a lot of cool tools to help you.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: What to film for Ghost effect
                      SFL46 Level 3

The way I have done this is to set up the camera on a tripod.

Shoot footage of the two "actors"

Direct the girl to step away out of frame as the guy stands still. For this to be successfull, the girsl can't cast a show on the guy.

Cut the clip between the two scenes.

Use a dissolve transition to go from two to one.

To make both dissapear, have both step back out of frame.

• 8. Re: What to film for Ghost effect
                        filmschooljefe08! Level 1

Thanks everyone!  I was able to get it all to work.  It may have been the most basic way of getting a ghost effect (using a dissolve)  but it worked!

Thanks!

Jeff

• 9. Re: What to film for Ghost effect
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Great news! Thanks for sharing what worked best for you.

Good luck,

Hunt