9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 3:10 PM by BlackCalvus

3D Rendering vs 2D (why I can't see my 3D)

EckleySP Level 1

Ok, admitedly, I'm new at this and I am working with a template that someone else built.  The project has several comps that hold video clips - they are 3D.  The main comp has many layers that are all 3D (psd files, and other comps). 

I wanted more video comps, so I duplicated the video comps that come with the template in the Project Panel.  When I move one into the main comp it comes in as 2D and I see the contents of the comp  - all OK - except I want it 3D.  When I make it 3D it goes away.  If I solo the comp I see nothing.

So, yes, I'm too lazy to read the 400+ pages of the book in front of me, beside, I'm not even sure where to look.  Nesting Comps didn't shed any light.

What is so frustrating is that I've run into this before and I have no idea what I did to fix this. . .

Thanks advance for the Golden Key.  I promise to take better care of it this time around.

• 1. Re: 3D Rendering vs 2D (why I can't see my 3D)
          Mike_Abbott Level 4

Try the 'collapse transformations' switch in the timeline - it looks like a little sun.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 3D Rendering vs 2D (why I can't see my 3D)
            EckleySP Level 1

That makes it visible, but even though the CUBE is checked to tell it I want it 3D, it acts 2D.  There is a camera control layer on top of the whole comp that controls the 3D world of all layers (except this one).  And, no other comp (those with the videos) have the Collapse Transformation turned on. . .   The motion of the camera has no effect on this 'video' comp.

• 3. Re: 3D Rendering vs 2D (why I can't see my 3D)
              TimeRemapper Level 4
              So, yes, I'm too lazy to read the 400+ pages of the book in front of me

That's a shame. There's probably lots of good info in those pages.

Ok, admitedly, I'm new at this and I am working with a template that someone else built. 

Maybe you should start at the beginning?

Back to your immediate concern, are there any expressions applied to the original comps in your timeline?

• 4. Re: 3D Rendering vs 2D (why I can't see my 3D)
                EckleySP Level 1

No expressions.

And, I misquoted the number of pages.  Its 730.  And, many coodoos to the authors Trish and Chris Meyer.  It is a much recommended book (for good reasons) for those of us that want to dive into the world of AE. With it, you are free and left with your own experience and experimentation.

So, back to this.  The video comps that came with the template do not have the 'sun' turned on.  If you open those comps there's not a lot there that warrents comment.  They are not 'marked' 3D (with the CUBE).  Just some photoshop layers and a solid that you replace with your own video.  If I duplicate the comp in the main comp, the duplicate behaves like I want. . . with that little exception that the child (duplicate) is linked to the parent in that whatever video clip I put in Video 1 Comp now appears in Video 2 Comp (the duplicate).  That's the hidden problem.  I was told to instead (in a forum) to duplicate the comp in the project panel, then move the duplicate into the main comp.   That's what I did, and that's where I am.  The duplicate comp that was duplicated in the project panel won't show up when the 3D CUBE is on.  When OFF, it shows up as 2D, but obviously won't behave like the rest of the comp-  which is 3D and controlled by the camera control layer mentioned earlier. . . 

• 5. Re: 3D Rendering vs 2D (why I can't see my 3D)
                  Samuel Chrisna Level 1

just turn on the 'draft 3D' button an make sure the icon which similiar with a 'sun' active.. they are make 3d effect from another comp. but it will deactivate motion blur..

Screen shot 2011-02-18 at 9.50.31 AM.png Screen shot 2011-02-18 at 9.50.37 AM.png Screen shot 2011-02-18 at 9.55.15 AM.png

• 7. Re: 3D Rendering vs 2D (why I can't see my 3D)
                    Samuel Chrisna Level 1

then, and u can see your 3d in another comp? oops, i think the draft 3D button its not necessary lol

• 8. Re: 3D Rendering vs 2D (why I can't see my 3D)
                      EckleySP Level 1

More visuals. . .

The camera is situated inside a virtual box.  It points to an inside side (Side One) where Video One plays, it then pans to Side Two where I would hope to see Video Two play, then Side Three and so on.

I lengthened the original template from 30 to 60 seconds and created more pans  -  back from Side 4 to 3 to 2 (and so on).   So, when I duplicated Video Two (that played on Side Two), I assumed it would 'show up' on Side Two whenever I panned to Side Two.   It didn't (thus my problem).  Instead it 'shows up' on Side One.

I 'm guessing that in this new 3D world one must think about where your asset is (my video in this case) in relation to where the camera is pointed.  That's something new to think about.  However, now I'm struggling with getting the Video Two to orient itself to Side Two of the 'box' so that when I pan to Side Two, I see Video Two. . .

If you are confused, then it is no doubt my fault.  One benefit is that one day, a year from now, when I stumble on this discussion, I can have a real laugh.

• 9. Re: 3D Rendering vs 2D (why I can't see my 3D)
                        BlackCalvus

Without actually seeing your project, it's hard to know exactly what's going on.  But a few pointers:

If you duplicate a subcomp in the project panel and then drop it into your comp, it will be positioned at the 'origin'.  If you have a camera setup that may very well be behind the camera, or to the side, or just too far away to be visible.

If it's set up the way I think this would be the way to solve it:

- Duplicate the layer in the composition itself.  (this will ensure it's placed where the camera can see it)

- Duplicate the subcomp in the project panel.  Rename this subcomp and place your new footage/changes inside it.

- Select the new layer in the main comp, and then alt-drag the new subcomp from the project panel directly onto the layer.  This will replace the subcomp on the layer with the new one you've made, but also retain any layer properties including position/scale.

Hope this is of any help.